+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: EPL TV deal

EPL TV deal

Out of 380 PL matches, 200 will be televised from 2019. For three rounds of fixtures every game will be televised.

With more than 1/2 of the games on TV it will be interesting to see how crowds are affected. Particularly in the lower leagues when they are up against every single PL match being shown.

I think the EFL need to look at protecting the lower league clubs - whether that is making fewer midweek games and extending the season a few weeks, or expanding the playoffs to 8 teams, I don't really know. But, if this TV deal starts eating into L1 or L2 attendances then the future of many clubs could be at risk.

Re: EPL TV deal

In the NFL, if you don't sell out, your game is blacked out in your local market.

Maybe this is something that could be used as leverage against SKY. That if they're showing a game, they have to buy up and make available unsold tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    In the NFL, if you don't sell out, your game is blacked out in your local market.

Maybe this is something that could be used as leverage against SKY. That if they're showing a game, they have to buy up and make available unsold tickets.
    I like the sound of that.
    Although, if I understand you correctly, this might help the sides who are being televised but not the L1 and L2 sides mentioned and the fact there will be a game on tv as oppose to go and watch your local side.

I don't know, generally if people would rather watch man u on TV they probably aren't the sort to spend money and go to see their local team anyway.

I gave a free ticket to my Arsenal supporting brother in law couple seasons back. Didnt use it as gooners were on tele.

I agree the money has to filter down though, and far more of it. Football league clubs being threatened with liquidation for less than a couple weeks of Sanchez' wages.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I like the sound of that.
    Although, if I understand you correctly, this might help the sides who are being televised but not the L1 and L2 sides mentioned and the fact there will be a game on tv as oppose to go and watch your local side.
    To be fair the PL clubs make so much money from TV that they could cope with a drop in ticket sales. But, clubs in L1 and L2 can't - and they get a pittance from the TV deal. Professional football needs to survive outside the top 2 divisions - does the EFL have plans if crowds drop because people stay home to watch football on TV?

How far away are we from every game being "televised"?

Sky would owe Leeds a fortune on that principle

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I don't know, generally if people would rather watch man u on TV they probably aren't the sort to spend money and go to see their local team anyway.

I gave a free ticket to my Arsenal supporting brother in law couple seasons back. Didnt use it as gooners were on tele.

I agree the money has to filter down though, and far more of it. Football league clubs being threatened with liquidation for less than a couple weeks of Sanchez' wages.
    Weeks? Days, if not hours and you're closer!

Its a nasty spriral , which will not stop so we need to think broader .

I think allowing bigger teams entry into those leagues with British based U23 second teams , would benefit all , provide a tougher learning platform for youngsters , appreciation of the other end of football , and perhaps energise attendances in league 1 and 2 .

The bigger clubs could pay for that privilege creating an extra revenue stream , or allow British based nursery clubs, instead of creating them in Europe .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Its a nasty spriral , which will not stop so we need to think broader .

I think allowing bigger teams entry into those leagues with British based U23 second teams , would benefit all , provide a tougher learning platform for youngsters , appreciation of the other end of football , and perhaps energise attendances in league 1 and 2 .

The bigger clubs could pay for that privilege creating an extra revenue stream , or allow British based nursery clubs, instead of creating them in Europe .
    No. No, no, no, no, no.

The Checkatrade Trophy is bad enough, never mind allowing youth teams into the actual league structure