+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Steven Caulker

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Steven Caulker

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Apart from the Derby team that amassed 11 points a few years previously, we were the worst equipped side to play in the Premiership. Arguably the Premiership squad was worse that the Championship squad. Soskjaer has admitted the players told him 'we just aren't good enough'. When the players admit that, your dammed...
    Plenty worse teams on paper have stayed up. You need the manager to motivate you and turn it around. We spent extremely poorly though, little or no Premier League experience, expensive gambles and zero pace. Caulker had his demons and people in football knew about it, so we shouldn't have taken the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Plenty worse teams on paper have stayed up. You need the manager to motivate you and turn it around. We spent extremely poorly though, little or no Premier League experience, expensive gambles and zero pace. Caulker had his demons and people in football knew about it, so we shouldn't have taken the risk.
    I don't buy in to this "we spent really poorly" thing. If it hadn't been for Cornelius, and all the hyperbole surrounding the amount we paid for him the spending poorly thing would be a non starter. I actually thought Medel in particular was a great signing.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't buy in to this "we spent really poorly" thing. If it hadn't been for Cornelius, and all the hyperbole surrounding the amount we paid for him the spending poorly thing would be a non starter. I actually thought Medel in particular was a great signing.
    Cornelius was a dreadful buy that is clear as day.

I mean we saw so much of his ability after his 8 appearances off the bench in the premier league. All in the dying seconds of the game and the majority coming off a long term injury

Quote Originally Posted by BuyingManCityTickets View Post

I mean we saw so much of his ability after his 8 appearances off the bench in the premier league. All in the dying seconds of the game and the majority coming off a long term injury
    For £10m he was a dreadful buy.

Remember our manager at the time touted him as being able to score the goals that would keep us in the Prem, handed him the no 9 shirt... then in quick fashion downgraded him to "one for the future".

At £1m, lower wages he'd have been a non-issue and given more time.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    For £10m he was a dreadful buy.

Remember our manager at the time touted him as being able to score the goals that would keep us in the Prem, handed him the no 9 shirt... then in quick fashion downgraded him to "one for the future".

At £1m, lower wages he'd have been a non-issue and given more time.
    Gary Madine at 6mm could quite easily surpass any previous purchase for that coveted 'waste of money' signing top spot. I couldn't believe my ears when they quoted that figure last night on the commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by BuyingManCityTickets View Post

I rate Caulker as a worse signing, just 2 million less and did 20x more dmg to our survival hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Including Caulker, we bought 2 players that were PL quality. The rest weren't, and our squad wasn't. Cornelius absolutely had to come off if we had any chance to survive, and we all know what happened there. Mackay signed Cornelius, Brayford, Moore, Caulker, Amondarain, KTC, Odemwingie and Medel in the Premier League season. Caulker was a drunk and Medel was asked to put out fires all over the pitch.