+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We really could do without the English disease here in Wales

We really could do without the English disease here in Wales

Re: We really could do without the English disease here in Wales

One of my neighbours kids was caught with a blade in school last year, he is ten years old. When I think back to living on a council estate in the sixties, it seemed like every other kid I knew carried a knife, but for probably different reasons to today. If you went over the woods you would have a big feck off sheath knife for making spears, carving wood and playing that old favourite 'splits' where you throw the knife close to your opponents feet and he'd have to move his foot to where the knife landed. As daft as it seems we just carried knives to play with and not to harm, different times.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    One of my neighbours kids was caught with a blade in school last year, he is ten years old. When I think back to living on a council estate in the sixties, it seemed like every other kid I knew carried a knife, but for probably different reasons to today. If you went over the woods you would have a big feck off sheath knife for making spears, carving wood and playing that old favourite 'splits' where you throw the knife close to your opponents feet and he'd have to move his foot to where the knife landed. As daft as it seems we just carried knives to play with and not to harm, different times.
    Spot on there IG. Very different times.
    Spedger

Gang culture/bullshite if ever I heard it. I need to carry one to defend myself bla bla bla. The coward generation.

It's funny when I think back to my childhood, I'd leave the house to go over the woods looking like fecking Rambo, 10 inch Bowie knife, .22 air rifle over my shoulder and an axe in my belt and nobody batted an eyelid

This has bugger all to do with the English, it's society and parenting

Absolutely!

I had a pen-knife when I was about 9-10 years old, it had a faux Mother-of-Pearl handle. I wanted to eventually graduate to one of those bone handle bowie knives, the ones you'd get in scouts, alas it was never to be.
    "Over the woods" no matter where in Cardiif you lived, there was always a nearby woods of some description.
    Yeah, playing "splits" - we all must have played that game at some point during our young lives .

When I was teenager, me and my mate both bought throwing knives and we'd go over by Blackweir and start throwing them at trees ... no one would bat an eyelid!

As you say, we carried them for different reasons back then.

Also needed a knife to play split the kipper. Nearly took my foot off a few times.

Whoops just read above.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    This has bugger all to do with the English, it's society and parenting
    Yeah, you beat me to it. I think it's unfair to call it the "English disease". Other European socities are more accustomed to carrying knives, such as the Italians/Turks.

It's funny when I think back to my childhood, I'd leave the house to go over the woods looking like fecking Rambo, 10 inch Bowie knife, .22 air rifle over my shoulder and an axe in my belt and nobody batted an eyelid
    well they wouldn't would they, "not with a GI Joe in front of 'um, armed to the teeth.

Most prob, shitting themselves.

Remember making bows out of those fishing nets they used to sell down by the lake

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Gang culture/bullshite if ever I heard it. I need to carry one to defend myself bla bla bla. The coward generation.
    Late 60s the right through, they have carried blades in gangs to football matches, from Liverpool down to the London teams. Cowards, yes, but it's not a generation thing.

I had a butter knife pulled on me as I got outside my house (I was 8 or 9 same age as.the kid doing it) he wanted my money (parents change from the shop) I froze at first then realised he was stalling to hurt me and wasn't going to do nothing and pushed past him. Kids from different areas by me would all meet at the fair and fight like ****, many would carry knives, thank **** they weren't used, but it's not a new phenomenon, just kids are not scared to use them these days.

I didn't know the Teddy Bear Picnic song was based around the activities you got up to as a kid!

"If you go down to the woods today you're sure of a big surprise.
    A kick in the teeth, a knife in the back and a bullet between your eyes"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    I didn't know the Teddy Bear Picnic song was based around the activities you got up to as a kid!

"If you go down to the woods today you're sure of a big surprise.
    A kick in the teeth, a knife in the back and a bullet between your eyes"

No one worried about that though because there was always lashings and lashings of ginger beer

Its always been there. A good number of stabbings were prevalent in Limerick and Dublin in the 80's and 90's. They now use guns

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Its always been there. A good number of stabbings were prevalent in Limerick and Dublin in the 80's and 90's. They now use guns
    Yep, Limerick used to be known as stab city.

So you were the one in the Davy Crockett racoon hat over Plymouth woods.

Yep, Limerick used to be known as stab city.
    My Mrs best mate lives there, some right horrible bastards in Limerick.

Glasgow used to be pretty bad for stabbings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    My Mrs best mate lives there, some right horrible bastards in Limerick.

Glasgow used to be pretty bad for stabbings as well.
    Its not a bad place. Just a few housing estates that'd make you very wary.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    There was a young man from St Ives
    Who carried a couple of Knives
    he poked and he stabbed
    and stabbed and he poked
    and ended a couple of lives
    Boom boom

One of the funniest threads I’ve ever read on here involved some poster who kept 3 knives under his bed for his own protection. Anyone else remember it?

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    Nothing to do with nationality, it's about class and social poverty. A large proportion on these young men that lose their lives to Knife crime are black, and from very poor backgrounds. If it were white middle class lads being killed in this way, then the response would be some what different. The problem with social poverty is the introduction to crime. The gap between rich and poor is getting wider, the consequences greater.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    One of the funniest threads I’ve ever read on here involved some poster who kept 3 knives under his bed for his own protection. Anyone else remember it?
    Maybe his wife was a psychopath?