+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The refereeing in Rugby

Re: The refereeing in Rugby

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    It seems like rugby is so much harder to referee than football, yet they do a better job of it!

That looked a try to me though! You could argue he wasn't in control, but the TMO said the English player touched it down first. He ****ing never!!
    I was in the minority in the pub who said I didn't think he was in control of the ball. He didn't exactly have downward pressure on the ball either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Ok.So your response in answer to my question is?
    There's no difference. For as long as I've known it's been far more pronounced concerning rugby. A century ago Welshness was underpinned by the language and religion in S. Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I forgot it was on, we have the netball superleague on Skysportsmix, Lightening V's Wasps, cracking game to be fair
    ****ing hell you dont half make me laugh at times Matt

I would say that rugby referees are allowed to get on with their job, so they find it easier to referee and apply common sense.

In football you have
    Divers - meaning a referee is under pressure to get it right every time there is a foul in and around the penalty area
    Managers - openly blaming referees for missing key decisions, and apportioning any blame to them rather than their players or, indeed, themselves
    Players - Surrounding referees and pressurising referees during games. Kevin Nolan when playing for West Ham would be in constant communication with the ref during Cardiff's semi-final and, as the game wore on, I felt the ref was giving any 50-50 West Ham's way.
    Media - They replay key incidents 4/5 times, in slow motion, from angles that differ from the referees. They then get a panel of three experts (mostly unbiased, since they either play for, or played for, one of the clubs) to give their verdict. If it differs from the referee's, the ref can expect exposure on the back pages of many tabloids. I wonder what that feels like?

The only other time I can remember a referee/umpire/official coming under as much scrutiny was when the Grand National starter cancelled the 1993 race. In most other sports, referees are allowed to get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    There's no difference. For as long as I've known it's been far more pronounced concerning rugby. A century ago Welshness was underpinned by the language and religion in S. Wales.
    Fair enough. I certainly agree that it is very important that Welsh continues to be spoken so that the language does not die.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I have no angst towards Welsh people who don't give a monkey's chuff about their heritage because, after all, where one's born is just an accident of birth. What gets my goat is the insincere frauds who pretend otherwise on selective days.
    Patriotism is dangerous. It is the most powerful weapon a Government can use to control its people.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Patriotism is dangerous. It is the most powerful weapon a Government can use to control its people.
    I think you can be patriotic. It’s when you become nationalistic it becomes a problem and abused by politicians

Trying to match rugby with football is not that simple, in Rugby we only see the hand picked select few from Europe and the southern hemisphere .

In football its 100's more applying thier trade , almost twicec a week, analysed by millions and TV to death, if we got the same intense scrutinity of rugby , I do wonder with simalir exposure week in an out , how saintly the game of rugby would appear .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Trying to match rugby with football is not that simple, in Rugby we only see the hand picked select few from Europe and the southern hemisphere .

In football its 100's more applying thier trade , almost twicec a week, analysed by millions and TV to death, if we got the same intense scrutinity of rugby , I do wonder with simalir exposure week in an out , how saintly the game of rugby would appear .
    Do you think they only play rugby a handful of times a year

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

I'm not saying rugby is saintly, but the media exposure football gets is damaging to the game. How often will you see a referee, scheduled to referee the big Manchester derby next week, referee WBA v Swansea completely differently. How many referees did Fergie influence? I'd say that, if rugby referees were put under the same microscope week after week, then their performances would suffer.

International

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I was in the minority in the pub who said I didn't think he was in control of the ball. He didn't exactly have downward pressure on the ball either.
    Dembe, the point was the TMO said it was no try because the English player had his hand on it first, which is quite clearly not the case. He didn't even bother to look at it from all the camera angles.
    It is now on record as the fastest TMO decision in the history of the game, and his reason for denying the try is shown to be totally incorrect!

That is what has caused all the furore!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Dembe, the point was the TMO said it was no try because the English player had his hand on it first, which is quite clearly not the case. He didn't even bother to look at it from all the camera angles.
    It is now on record as the fastest TMO decision in the history of the game, and his reason for denying the try is shown to be totally incorrect!

The rules state you just to have touched the ball with any part of the upper body.i think.

I was out in Cardiff packed like a sardine and didn't hear the reason given, after the game obviously I Just got drunk.

If that's the reason he's given then he needs a weekend refereeing Glyncoch v Brackla in division 3.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Do you think they only play rugby a handful of times a year
    I'm saying it has less ref's and less exposure ,therefore less room for error and analysis

International

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I was out in Cardiff packed like a sardine and didn't hear the reason given, after the game obviously I Just got drunk.

If that's the reason he's given then he needs a weekend refereeing Glyncoch v Brackla in division 3.
    The World Rugby Board has now confirmed that the TMO got it wrong and sould have awarded a tryto wales.
    Definitely a game changer!!!!!!

The World Rugby Board has now confirmed that the TMO got it wrong and sould have awarded a tryto wales.
    Ok with that info, don't send him to Glyncoch he won't get out alive.

Here's the Wales Online story containing a statement from World Rugby confirming that a try should have been awarded.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...world-14284371