+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T Younger Generation and Alcohol.

Re: O/T Younger Generation and Alcohol.

I drink on footy days as it seems to be the right thing to do ,since my first introduction to its connection 40 years ago , at home I do enjoy the odd Brandy or Port or both on the weekend , not excessive though .

Always prefered social drinking .

In the summer a nice midday start up until teatime, in a sunny beer garden can be a very pleasing event .
    The trick I think is not to over indulge, and try to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I don’t bother drinking at home at all, I can’t see the appeal of being sat on my settee with a can. Looking at the amount of supermarket aisles packed with booze seems to suggest it’s very common though, is it quite dangerous drinking alone at home? I don’t know, there’s no brakes, no one to shut the bar, no one to say you’ve had too much. I much prefer the company and pub atmosphere but the closure of pubs seems to suggest it’s on the wain. As I mentioned though, drinking doesn’t seem to be on the wain, every bugger seems to have a box of booze in their supermarket trolley.
    I can drink round a mates house with the sport on, or for NYE etc.. but ive never been a house drinker.

I like the social aspect of the pub, pop in on a Friday after work, may go out all night may grab a takeaway after a long week.
    Saturday's are good for a decent day down the pub, but my favourite is a Sunday with the old feckers.

We have a good amount of youngsters in our local but there does seem to be less and less now, and they won't come out 3/4 times a week either.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I can drink round a mates house with the sport on, or for NYE etc.. but ive never been a house drinker.

I like the social aspect of the pub, pop in on a Friday after work, may go out all night may grab a takeaway after a long week.
    Saturday's are good for a decent day down the pub, but my favourite is a Sunday with the old feckers.

We have a good amount of youngsters in our local but there does seem to be less and less now, and they won't come out 3/4 times a week either.
    So basically you work in the week and get pissed Friday through to Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    If you go into town late on Friday or Saturday, you may change your mind
    I have, and it is nothing like as chaotic as it was say- 20 years ago.

Last time I went into town on the weekend, there were a load of basically sober people in an ice cream shop having a sundae at about midnight.

that would never have happened in my day - fair play to them younger generation.

It's similar to going out in america, you don't see people getting that drunk out in public that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I have, and it is nothing like as chaotic as it was say- 20 years ago.

Last time I went into town on the weekend, there were a load of basically sober people in an ice cream shop having a sundae at about midnight.

that would never have happened in my day - fair play to them younger generation.

It's similar to going out in america, you don't see people getting that drunk out in public that often.
    Fekin hell. The youngsters of today. Years ago if you were out on the piss and someone asked where to now and someone suggested the feckin ice cream shop for a Sundae theyd never live it down. Legends are made from that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Why would people go out to the pub at £3 or more a pint when they can pick up a 12 pack of Carling for £12?
    If you've got a local and know and enjoy the company of the characters, it's somewhere to go for a laugh and enjoy the crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If you've got a local and know and enjoy the company of the characters, it's somewhere to go for a laugh and enjoy the crack.
    A mate's house has replaced the pub in that respect, a few mates all take beers round.

A mate's house has replaced the pub in that respect, a few mates all take beers round.
    That is true, though I've known a few characters that I used to enjoy bumping into in the pub but would never invite them around!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    So basically you work in the week and get pissed Friday through to Sunday.

No mate them days are gone.

Been out last 2 Saturday's but usually I've got my daughter at weekends..every other unless were playing home..so I don't get out...but the invites are always there

I am 24. In my earlier twenties I probably went 16-18 months without a drop, just wasn't interested and didn't really feel pressured - only in situations when out with a huge bunch of friends.

Now though I probably have 10-12 pints a week on average in the pub, split over 5-6 days. Tonight for example, I had a bottle of Corona at the snooker club. On the weekend I had a couple of pints with lemonade dashes each night whilst gigging. Don't really ever drink in the house, perhaps once every couple of months.

I would say there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    I am 24. In my earlier twenties I probably went 16-18 months without a drop, just wasn't interested and didn't really feel pressured - only in situations when out with a huge bunch of friends.

Now though I probably have 10-12 pints a week on average in the pub, split over 5-6 days. Tonight for example, I had a bottle of Corona at the snooker club. On the weekend I had a couple of pints with lemonade dashes each night whilst gigging. Don't really ever drink in the house, perhaps once every couple of months.

I would say there's nothing wrong with that.
    Nothing wrong with that.

I'm 32 and I'm going to the pub less. I probably go more than I want to sometimes just because I've got nothing else to do. I'm nowhere near excessive..just trying to consciously change my behaviour and do a bit more than going down the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Nothing wrong with that.

I'm 32 and I'm going to the pub less. I probably go more than I want to sometimes just because I've got nothing else to do. I'm nowhere near excessive..just trying to consciously change my behaviour and do a bit more than going down the pub.
    I agree and its certainly what I see these days. On the plus side fitness levels are generally higher across the board, as are eating habits and behaviours from what I can tell. If you want a goody-two-shoes culture then welcome to the promised land.

There is a flipside to that. I remember in my late teens and Twenties you would regularly meet up with your work mates and swap funny stories from the weekend. Shitting beds, boning a ropey old cock-collector or some naieve young bint, having a scrap or so, being locked out and waking up the neighbours by lobbing chippings at the window to wake up your Mrs / parents to let you in, giving each other abusive banter in the pub and learning to take and give it with new nicknames often found as a result. There may not have been textbook behaviour, or health conscious decisions going on I admit, but there was a wider range of fun to be had and there were stories and tales to enjoy as a result.

It said it all for me when at 42 years of age I had an absolute rare bender with a few mates. Got trolleyed in the pub, stumbled home but not before kipping under a tree and waking up at 3am to finish by homebound sojourn, while a mate picked up a ropey old mare and gave her a good goosing and sent us all a few pics. The next day I laughed as the pictures and messages went back and forth and people spread stories around the local sports club. But when faced with two youngsters (about 21-23 at a guess) who were old enough to enjoy the story asked what were people laughing at they gave a look of horror as the stories were shown. Unprotected sex was seen as a "serious risk" and my first heavy night in about eight months was deemed to be a "one way ticket to liver disease". I just think all this risk-averse behaviour taught in school has created a very precious generation in general. They aren't all like that, but they do appear far more easily shocked than my generation was.

I think Arfur Europe mentioned it is a rebellious reaction to their previous generation who were heavy drinkers. I am a big believer in action / reaction and overcompensation cycles in life. To the new generation they are being "new" but it is as old as the hills. My great grandmother had very Victorian values which were inspired by Temperance movement. Her parents had also been big drinkers and so my great gran's generation went the opposite way as over-compensation. Rather than moderating they all frowned on drinking and many were tee-total or sought outright bans on it. Here we go again I guess!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperance_movement

A lot of my year at Sixth Form go out each weekend, some from Friday-Sunday each week

Guess it depends on who you ask

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    I agree and its certainly what I see these days. On the plus side fitness levels are generally higher across the board, as are eating habits and behaviours from what I can tell. If you want a goody-two-shoes culture then welcome to the promised land.

There is a flipside to that. I remember in my late teens and Twenties you would regularly meet up with your work mates and swap funny stories from the weekend. Shitting beds, boning a ropey old cock-collector or some naieve young bint, having a scrap or so, being locked out and waking up the neighbours by lobbing chippings at the window to wake up your Mrs / parents to let you in, giving each other abusive banter in the pub and learning to take and give it with new nicknames often found as a result. There may not have been textbook behaviour, or health conscious decisions going on I admit, but there was a wider range of fun to be had and there were stories and tales to enjoy as a result.

It said it all for me when at 42 years of age I had an absolute rare bender with a few mates. Got trolleyed in the pub, stumbled home but not before kipping under a tree and waking up at 3am to finish by homebound sojourn, while a mate picked up a ropey old mare and gave her a good goosing and sent us all a few pics. The next day I laughed as the pictures and messages went back and forth and people spread stories around the local sports club. But when faced with two youngsters (about 21-23 at a guess) who were old enough to enjoy the story asked what were people laughing at they gave a look of horror as the stories were shown. Unprotected sex was seen as a "serious risk" and my first heavy night in about eight months was deemed to be a "one way ticket to liver disease". I just think all this risk-averse behaviour taught in school has created a very precious generation in general. They aren't all like that, but they do appear far more easily shocked than my generation was.

I think Arfur Europe mentioned it is a rebellious reaction to their previous generation who were heavy drinkers. I am a big believer in action / reaction and overcompensation cycles in life. To the new generation they are being "new" but it is as old as the hills. My great grandmother had very Victorian values which were inspired by Temperance movement. Her parents had also been big drinkers and so my great gran's generation went the opposite way as over-compensation. Rather than moderating they all frowned on drinking and many were tee-total or sought outright bans on it. Here we go again I guess!

Of course the additional point with this, is that over time when you catch up with old mates you can tell old stories which are often just as funny as they were back then, or so cringeworthy where you can laugh at the follies of youth.

I was chatting the other day to a mate at the England v Wales rugby match, and we were swapping stories about girls we had slept with, and he had one where he picked up this really fat girl at her house party. They persuaded everyone to leave the party at just after midnight and before you know it, as soon as they had cleared the house the two of them were at it doggy style over the sofa. He claims it was in the brown rather than a pink, but that is minor details. He was enjoying himself quite nicely and just as he was about to blow off there was "ahem" type cough from the kitchen and it was her old mam and dad had come back from holiday a day earlier than she expected and caught them red handed. Let's just say that the dad gave him a seeing to in a slightly different way that he was giving the dad's daughter. Daft behaviour, caused by excess alcohol, but over time quite harmless.

What would the tee-totalling generation be swapping stories about when the are 50?

"Hey Ashley, do you remember when we were about 22 and we had that brilliant time installing new apps on our iPhone whilst enjoying a wicked Nandos?" . Or..

"Hey Caleb, do you remember when we saw that awesome new TRX machine in the local David Lloyds before we bolted down that wicked Orange Crush protein shake afterwards?"

"Hey Keanu-Banana, do you remember when we took a selfie of ourselves whilst sipping a Chai Latte in Costa?"

Doesn't quite cut it for me but hey, each to their own choices.

A lot of my year at Sixth Form go out each weekend, some from Friday-Sunday each week

Guess it depends on who you ask
    Yes, but years ago it would have been everyone, pretty much every weekend and getting absolutely smashed.
    Someone not drinking at that age was almost unheard of, you only have to see how empty town is on weekends now to see the culture is changing

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post

Youngsters by me are still like that, but where as the pubs would be packed with them before I'd say they are slowly being outnumbered in my local on a more regular basis of drinking. The 18-21 year olds by me stay in on the ps4 with a joint and some cans and come out now and again, the last lot I know that do it well are between 23-30 Who drink/drugs/shag anything in sight Thursday to Sunday. I'm past that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes, but years ago it would have been everyone, pretty much every weekend and getting absolutely smashed.
    Someone not drinking at that age was almost unheard of, you only have to see how empty town is on weekends now to see the culture is changing
    A majority go out now as well, town is hardly a barren wasteland on weekends

International

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Bloody whippersnapper! I was drinking when you were in junior school!
    You were drinking when you were in junior school

Quote Originally Posted by BuyingManCityTickets View Post
    People binge more.

But the main one i think is:

The sheer number of stag/hen do's abroad. Other expensive trips like boozing in spain in the summer. Festivals. People are prioritising their ££££.

A pint down the pub no longer cuts it I'm afraid. My locals are really quite bad.

People prefer to go to Nandos, stay healthy, pick an event down the line & look forward to it.
    With no Glastonbury and having seen this year's Reading lineup I can't see many saving up for festivals this year

What a lot of boring ferkers on this thread.

Get a few down you and stop wasting time posting on the internet
    for your thrills.

Snowflakes aren't a new invention , clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    What a lot of boring ferkers on this thread.

Get a few down you and stop wasting time posting on the internet
    for your thrills.

Snowflakes aren't a new invention , clearly.
    Irony or whoosh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Irony or whoosh?
    You decide.

I'm enjoying my red wine.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    You decide.

I'm enjoying my red wine.
    Snowflake............