+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What a great Sunday night story ( Subbuteo find)

What a great Sunday night story ( Subbuteo find)

Re: What a great Sunday night story ( Subbuteo find)

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    "Just flick to kick"

Always found subbuteo boring personally.

There were better similar footy games IMO, the BAR football one being one, Big League I think was the one where you held the head with one hand and pulled the leg back with the other... I had both of these.

There was another which a mate of mime had where you pushed the head down and he kicked... don't remember the name of that though.

'appy dayz

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    "Just flick to kick"

There were better similar footy games IMO, the BAR football one being one, Big League I think was the one where you held the head with one hand and pulled the leg back with the other... I had both of these.

There was another which a mate of mime had where you pushed the head down and he kicked... don't remember the name of that though.

'appy dayz
    Can remember badgering my parents for subbuteo stuff in the late 80s. Played it once with a mate, and then never played it again .

Loved Subbuteo, got my dad to buy some 3/4" Ply and built some stands to go around the pitch ( which was pinned down onto the board ) made some legs for the plywood top and turned it into a table ( keep in mind at that age i always wanted to be a carpenter and loved working with wood )

had loads of teams aswell

Loved the game, happy childhood memories indeed

Feedback

One poster on here was Welsh table football champion (subbuteo with slightly different rules), went to the 1990 rome world cup and played for Wales in the home internationals.

It was a serious affair

Yes it was in an age where he had little, and what we did have we held in wonderment .

"Just flick to kick"

'appy dayz
    That last one was called Super Striker.
    Preferred Subutteo myself, more skilful than the others. My boys still play it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    That last one was called Super Striker.
    Preferred Subutteo myself, more skilful than the others. My boys still play it now.
    Yeah that's it. Got a feeling Striker was the original, prototype if you Like, and super striker was the next edition.
    Didn't the keepers dive in the latter?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Brilliant!
    That would have been a "major present" back in the day.
    They're probably less to buy than a round of drinks now.

Couldn't afford any of that poncey stuff, I had a game made by Waddington's which literally had plastic figures stuck on to tiddlywinks and the ball was a tiddlywink. Big fold up cardboard pitch.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    the reds have no forward line

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    the reds have no forward line
    Maybe it's the Redbirds with Cornelius up front?

"Just flick to kick"

'appy dayz

Super Striker was much better than Subbuteo. Push the head down and it would fly in the top corner.

That was swiftly replace by matchday on my spectrum 48k though.
    It was great, get to the edge of the box cut outside then back inside and shoot and the ball was guaranteed to nestle in the top corner.
    I had a mate who used to play full 90 minute matches and win over 100-0 haha

Does anyone remember this sporting toy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Ar.../dp/B06VWH1SGV

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Does anyone remember this sporting toy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Ar.../dp/B06VWH1SGV
    Yep. Pro shot golf, not that I had one mind

I had super striker with the diving goalies.

The bloke in that story doesn't look old enough for Subbuteo to have played any part in his childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I had super striker with the diving goalies.

The bloke in that story doesn't look old enough for Subbuteo to have played any part in his childhood.
    They do still make Subbuteo. My kids had it for Christmas about five years ago and play it regularly, not as often as FIFA like but still.

A real Subbuteo aficionado would never buy a ready painted team. Half the fun was doing your own painting. That was just the start. Next you had to have a perfect pitch - any signs of folds and you were a novice. Floodlights were also important. There were no hooligans in those days but if I was still playing today I would paint some players as thugs and have them fighting under the floodlights.

Do you remember the ones where the bodies were made of a coated just card

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Can remember badgering my parents for subbuteo stuff in the late 80s. Played it once with a mate, and then never played it again .
    Same here.. I had the grandstand and fans to i remember moaning to my parents that all the fans looked like scarfers and not hooligans