+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groves v Eubank Jnr

Groves v Eubank Jnr

Looking forward to this one and then the almost certain final of the winner v Callum Smith.

Hard one to pick. I think Groves has started to look as though the hard fights are starting to catch up with him. Whereas I dont think anyone knows how good Eubank Jnr is. Thought he looked terrible v Saunders but has looked impressive since.

Groves even if he is going downhill is still a massive step up,

Ive a feeling Groves has a big performance left in him and will pick up enough points early behind his left jab. I can see Eubank Jnr coming on strong late on but not doing enough.

Groves close decision I reckon.

Re: Groves v Eubank Jnr

I think Eubank Jr will be to strong and win in the 9th

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I think Eubank Jr will be to strong and win in the 9th
    25-1 with Sky Bet.

Eubank will be to strong.

Eubank Jr will win, dont think it will go the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Looking forward to this one and then the almost certain final of the winner v Callum Smith.

Hard one to pick. I think Groves has started to look as though the hard fights are starting to catch up with him. Whereas I dont think anyone knows how good Eubank Jnr is. Thought he looked terrible v Saunders but has looked impressive since.

Groves even if he is going downhill is still a massive step up,

Ive a feeling Groves has a big performance left in him and will pick up enough points early behind his left jab. I can see Eubank Jnr coming on strong late on but not doing enough.

Groves close decision I reckon.
    I'm backing Groves, although I think he can have problems with confidence at times, that could play into Juniors hands. Junior is a fighter, fit as a flea, and will be relentless for however long it lasts, Groves is a much better boxer and punches much harder than Junior-hoping for a good fight.

Reckon Eubank Jr is on his way to being a good boxer. Maybe not world class but a tough nut to crack. Staying power plus the potential for a bit more.

Bookies making Eubanks the favourite

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Bookies makes Eubanks the favourite
    Surprised at that, all he has on groves is aggression.

Groves wont get hit as hard as this. That's for sure.

Tuck your chin in Georgie boy, a gift for Froch. I would've loved to have seen Calzaghe punish Froch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Tuck your chin in Georgie boy, a gift for Froch. I would've loved to have seen Calzaghe punish Froch.
    As much as gift that might be Froch spaced it perfectly. You cant tuck you're neck in as well. Groves all over the shop.

Agree I would have liked to see Calzaghe v Froch.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    As much as gift that might be Froch spaced it perfectly. You cant tuck you're neck in as well. Groves all over the shop.

Agree I would have liked to see Calzaghe v Froch.
    Groves was countered, didn't protect himself at all. Calzaghe would've schooled Froch after about four rounds.

Groves was countered, didn't protect himself at all. Calzaghe would've schooled Froch after about four rounds.
    That's as maybe but Joe Calzaghe couldn't lamp someone out like that. My only and dare I say petty complaint about him. I reckon if he could he would be considered more highly. A shame. A career defining KO eluded him.

That's as maybe but Joe Calzaghe couldn't lamp someone out like that. My only and dare I say petty complaint about him. I reckon if he could he would be considered more highly. A shame. A career defining KO eluded him.
    Also the amount of 'slappy' punches he threw. I like him don't get me wrong. A champion.

Joe had bad hands, he could bang in his early days, Froch wouldn't have lived with joe, his style was made for him, also had a granite chin, joe could switch hit, had brilliant foot work, could punch from angles and those slaps hurt, especially a four punch combo. On his day, Calzaghe would've beaten anyone at 160 and I include Roy jones at his peak and Andre Ward.

Joe had bad hands, he could bang in his early days, Froch wouldn't have lived with joe, his style was made for him, also had a granite chin, joe could switch hit, had brilliant foot work, could punch from angles and those slaps hurt, especially a four punch combo. On his day, Calzaghe would've beaten anyone at 160 and I include Roy jones at his peak and Andre Ward.
    I agree with you up until you said Jr at his peak. Not for me. Reckon Eubank Snr would have had way too much for him if they had met earlier as well. Joe couldn't put them tough guys away. I don't wanna detract from him but there you are.

I agree with you up until you said Jr at his peak. Not for me. Reckon Eubank Snr would have had way too much for him if they had met earlier as well. Joe couldn't put them tough guys away. I don't wanna detract from him but there you are.
    Fair enough, i'd agree with you about Eubank snr, he was a shot fighter when joe fought him, although joe nailed him in the first round, and nobody ever stopped Eubank, although I think he retired in the ninth in his last fight against carl Thompson, by then he was finished. I think the Michael Watson tragedy took a lot out of him.

The result of this fight won’t matter in the end. Callum Smith will win the tournament.

Fair enough, i'd agree with you about Eubank snr, he was a shot fighter when joe fought him, although joe nailed him in the first round, and nobody ever stopped Eubank, although I think he retired in the ninth in his last fight against carl Thompson, by then he was finished. I think the Michael Watson tragedy took a lot out of him.
    That will do it wont it! Watson ending up like that. A bit like Joe in a way but not so devastating in that injuries, ring time, circumstance degraded what they could both do. A Joe with good hands v a Eubank that didn't carry them scars. Its the fight they would both want.

Also the amount of 'slappy' punches he threw. I like him don't get me wrong. A champion.
    You ought to watch the film they made on him. He could bang early in his career... ask Eubank Snr.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    You ought to watch the film they made on him. He could bang early in his career... ask Eubank Snr.
    If Calzaghi hadn’t injured both his hands early in his career, there is a chance that he would have gone down in history as one of the best of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Yeah I watched that. I like Joe Calzaghe. An unbeaten record is something rare. He did suffer from the fact that a lot of the best middleweight's avoided him before his hands deteriorated. I will give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If Calzaghi hadn’t injured both his hands early in his career, there is a chance that he would have gone down in history as one of the best of all time.
    I agree. He's definitely had to adapt a bit.

He would still school froch though, the gobshite.

Eubank Snr was overrated. He had tremendous courage and a granite chin though.I saw him fight Gary Stretch in London and was at the re-match with Benn at Old Trafford.

Stretch was way too small but was beating him until Eubank landed. He also got a lot of dodgy decisions and should have been disqualified against a average fighter called Dan Sherry in another fight the score cards were dodgy.

He had many poor displays long before the Watson fight and I actually thought his performances against Calzaghe and Thompson were better than many after the Benn fight. I think he was far from a shot fighter

His performance against Benn in the first fight was brilliant though. Showed tremendous courage and showed what a granite chin he had. Before he was world champion Barry Mcguigan lost his unbeaten record to Eubanks brother. McGuigan said his brother had the same trademark granite chin. If Jnr has inherited the ability to take a punch then Groves is in for a tough night. Hes going to need to as well because Groves can definately bang.

Really looking forward to this tonight. Suprised some think Eubank will be too strong. Groves is naturally the bigger man and definately the puncher of the 2. Also has a superior jab. Eubank is going to have the edge on the inside and has the faster hands. Groves has had tough fights and if anything will be on a downturn where Eubank is the fresher and is still improving,

Still a tough one to call. Have to tip Groves just on the fact hes bigger hits harder and should be able to dictate behind the jab.Things will get interesting when / if Eubank gets in close. If he starts getting inside early then he will win.

Hope this one lives up to expectations.