+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100% grafter vs player with guile

100% grafter vs player with guile

Following on from the thread about our fans being negative I was thinking about Lawnmower's comments regarding our fans preferring a player who is perhaps technically limited but gives 100% to someone who is exciting but is not always perceived to give his all.
    (Disclaimer I know the two are not always mutually exclusive and this is just a bit of fun)

But what would you prefer to pay to watch:-

A) players in the mould of Jason Perry, Willie Boland, Don Cowie, Super Kev, Ben Turner, Sol Bamba, Lee Peltier etc - not great on the ball but always guaranteed that they will gives 100% for the cause.

Or

B) players in the mould of Nathan Blake, Jason Fowler, Jason Bowen, Jay Bothroyd, Jason Koumas, Kenneth Zohore - sometimes perceived a bit lazy amd disinterested but can change the game in a flash.

For me its option B every time.

Re: 100% grafter vs player with guile

B.

Although a hybrid of the 2 would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    B.

That option is not available

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Following on from the thread about our fans being negative I was thinking about Lawnmower's comments regarding our fans preferring a player who is perhaps technically limited but gives 100% to someone who is exciting but is not always perceived to give his all.
    (Disclaimer I know the two are not always mutually exclusive and this is just a bit of fun)

A) players in the mould of Jason Perry, Willie Boland, Don Cowie, Super Kev, Ben Turner, Sol Bamba, Lee Peltier etc - not great on the ball but always guaranteed that they will gives 100% for the cause.

Or

B) players in the mould of Nathan Blake, Jason Fowler, Jason Bowen, Jay Bothroyd, Jason Koumas, Kenneth Zohore - sometimes perceived a bit lazy amd disinterested but can change the game in a flash.

Struggled with this as some of my favourite players are in both categories who gave great memories for different reasons

The second category should be full of players who came with a rep but never showed up? That Italian from Man Utd used to drive me insane as did most of OGS signings to be honest.

The point I am making badly is that I am not sure that any of cat B didn't care or give their all - I know Zohore has been criticised lately but I think he has been given a thankless task since he came back from injury and I am not convinced he is fully fit but I maybe wrong

But if I had to give an answer I would say cat A - I always want players to play like I would if I played for the City (but only better!!)

Good question though

Or

Got to be B for me as well - I think it was you who said you want to see footballers who can do things you couldn't yesterday wasn't it?

B for me every time too, but I do agree with Lawnmower as a fanbase I think majority of the fans prefer the A's to the B's. You missed Whitts from the B's by the way. Mike, please edit.

Trouble is with option B you can sometimes get bitten in the arse when you don't need it.I remember taking my youngest son for his first matchday experience some years ago and after biggin the city up all week they have a stinker just when we didn't need it (0-3 Boro)

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    B for me every time too, but I do agree with Lawnmower as a fanbase I think majority of the fans prefer the A's to the B's. You missed Whitts from the B's by the way. Mike, please edit.
    I meant to put Whitts in there when I was thinking about it earlier to be honest as Whitts, Bothroyd and Koumas are probably the 3 players who epitomize exactly what I'm talking about in the B Category.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Got to be B for me as well - I think it was you who said you want to see footballers who can do things you couldn't yesterday wasn't it?
    Yes Bob I did say that. It is probably the criteria (shit criteria I know) what I judge players on.

I would happily pay to watch a Tomlin, Hoilett, Whittingham, Koumas etc in the hope that a few times in a game I may turn to my son and say "did you see what he just did???"

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Struggled with this as some of my favourite players are in both categories who gave great memories for different reasons

The second category should be full of players who came with a rep but never showed up? That Italian from Man Utd used to drive me insane as did most of OGS signings to be honest.

The point I am making badly is that I am not sure that any of cat B didn't care or give their all - I know Zohore has been criticised lately but I think he has been given a thankless task since he came back from injury and I am not convinced he is fully fit but I maybe wrong

But if I had to give an answer I would say cat A - I always want players to play like I would if I played for the City (but only better!!)

Good question though

I suppose that's the job of the scouts and management to weigh up whether that player can be accommodated into your style of play etc, and in the case of Macheda whether he can actually play football at all!

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Trouble is with option B you can sometimes get bitten in the arse when you don't need it.I remember taking my youngest son for his first matchday experience some years ago and after biggin the city up all week they have a stinker just when we didn't need it (0-3 Boro)

that game still haunts me.

On the flipside though, if we had a few more option B's in the premier league with Malky we may not have looked so predictable.

I thoroughly enjoy watching the B's more than the A's although neat and tidy players can be good to watch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    B.

Alex Ferguson had a good eye for this kind of player.

Or

Our fanbase would love a team of A's, until they saw the results. Having said that, a team of B's would be infuriating to watch week in, week out. They could blow teams away one week, and then get turned over the next. Basically, see the Dave Jones years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Alex Ferguson had a good eye for this kind of player.
    When you spend the money he did, he should be able to spot one or two!

My guess is that Most would say B's.

However, if you played a team of A's against B's, my guess is that the A's would win hands down as no fecker in the B's would/could put the graft in.

Its worth noting that the best players in the world are also among the fittest.

Also I think you can get away with fitness and pace over technical ability in the top leagues rather than the other way round.
    An example being Theo Walcott.

That option is not available
    Hence why I've picked B

I want a mixture of both.

I pay to watch 11/14 of my team go out to beat the opposition and I want to see graft and skill. Super Kev and Koumas. I'm not paying to watch (and support) just one player. The best teams combine the qualities of A and B - and as this is the Championship we are not likely to see too many who combine the best of both in one person - or not too many of them.

I liked and respected Don Cowie more than Lee Tomlin, and appreciated the work he put in to make some of his teammates look good, but the 'wow' moments (the few we saw) came from Tomlin.

After Sol's disallowed goal against Millwall, I'm not sure that 'Beckenbauer' Bamba belongs in list A. He can also pick a mean pass at times.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

I pay to watch 11/14 of my team go out to beat the opposition and I want to see graft and skill. Super Kev and Koumas. I'm not paying to watch (and support) just one player. The best teams combine the qualities of A and B - and as this is the Championship we are not likely to see too many who combine the best of both in one person - or not too many of them.

I liked and respected Don Cowie more than Lee Tomlin, and appreciated the work he put in to make some of his teammates look good, but the 'wow' moments (the few we saw) came from Tomlin.

After Sol's disallowed goal against Millwall, I'm not sure that 'Beckenbauer' Bamba belongs in list A. He can also pick a mean pass at times.

Of course it's a given that a team is made up of both.
    Though I have seen on many occasions teams made up of grafters, however I think only Arsene Wenger is crazy enough to field a team made up of type B players!

B for me, but the problem with our 'B players' this year is that apart from Hoilett, they have rarely done anything of note. (although not helped by some poor play by others around them).

Option A for me i am afraid, i love to see a player give 110 %, nothing beats it

My fondest memories are of the early 90's team, the Eddie may team, I make no excuses for that, the team looked like they had a connection with us fans, we could argue that Blakey was in the B group, from memory he was the only one who was from that team

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Beckenbamba?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Option A for me i am afraid, i love to see a player give 110 %, nothing beats it
    My fondest memories are of the early 90's team, the Eddie may team, I make no excuses for that, the team looked like they had a connection with us fans, we could argue that Blakey was in the B group, from memory he was the only one who was from that team
    Except, of course, 120%

Got to be B for me I would've loved a team full of bothroyd's

Not sure - excellent bits of skill with no end product is ultimately very frustrating as we saw with DJ's sides. I loved watching Koumas, Whitts and Chopra produce the odd bit of brilliance but ultimately I want us to win games and competitions.

On balance it is probably A's as there is a curious beauty to good defending and team play too. Maybe I've just been supporting Cardiff too long...