+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Oxfam in meltdown

Oxfam in meltdown

Oxfam scandal deepens with allegations of 'sex for aid' and abuse in charity shops

The sexual misconduct scandal at Oxfam deepened on Monday night as the charity's former head of safeguarding revealed teenage volunteers at UK shops had been abused and overseas staff had traded aid for sex.

In some of the most explosive allegations yet against the charity, Helen Evans accused her bosses of ignoring her evidence and her pleas for more resources, forcing her to quit in despair.

Ms Evans said that staff had been accused of rape and that sexual abuse by shop managers in UK stores against young volunteers was covered up.

Ten per cent of staff in some countries had been sexually assaulted by colleagues or witnessed abuse, she added.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018...charity-shops/

Re: Oxfam in meltdown

Oxfam: Deputy resigns over how sex claims were handled

Oxfam's deputy chief executive has resigned over the handling of a sex scandal involving aid workers.

The British charity is accused of concealing the findings of an inquiry into claims staff used prostitutes while delivering aid in Haiti in 2011.

Penny Lawrence said she was "ashamed" and takes full responsibility.

The Charity Commission has launched a statutory inquiry into Oxfam - which denies a cover-up - but details of its scope have not yet been released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43027631

Argh the organisation who blames others for the troubles around the world , whilst sucking in thier contributions , they need to examine the inner reasons of the poor mismanagement of goverments and authorities given these funds .

We hand over an astonishing 13.3billion p.a. that would build a few hospitals for our own .

Government knew about sexual abuse scandal in the aid sector involving 300 people, former Aid Secretary Priti Patel says

“There are no databases of these predatory paedophiles that exist and we need them … to stop this disgusting and corrosive culture of the revolving door in aid agencies.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018...h-allegations/

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Argh the organisation who blames others for the troubles around the world , whilst sucking in thier contributions , they need to examine the inner reasons of the poor mismanagement of goverments and authorities given these funds .

We hand over an astonishing 13.3billion p.a. that would build a few hospitals for our own .
    Yes, this quote is telling. This is where flimsy, cloudy, idealism meets and shakes hand with the hard headed reality of the real world.

There is no doubt that Oxfam is an outstanding organisation. They have made great strides in the world. Fundraising to the tune of £130 a year is tremendous. Their reaction and delivery on the ground equally so. Yet interestingly, many people still bury their heads in the sand and seem to think that charities cannot be scrutinised, should not be checked and must not be criticised. I have always found this to be an illogical trail of thought.

It is, and always was, and still is, very obvious to me that the ideals of an organisation (noble and well meaning) does not translate into individual brilliance inside it. The individuals inside it are wide-ranging and on a scale from awesome to appalling. In the awesome category they have skilled retirees, who bring expertise from the fields of the military, medicine, accounting and menial but necessary operational tasks such as laying sank banks for flooding. And of course those collecting money on the streets. Many work for nothing or for miminal pay, and rightly so, as the clue is in the word - "CHARITY". Those are the good guys.

In the second category we have the questionable bunch. Generally at the top. They say "I am working for a charity because I want to help". I have carefully watched the spiralling incomes paid for average executives and senor hire in charities. Often this is helping themselves as much as others. They are not there for charity. They are there to fill their pockets. Why are some executives of charites paid 80k - 120k a year? I have no idea. I understand that the demands an executive brings more pressure, but why they should be paid what a prime minister is paid, or mid level executives, is beyond me. If they want to work for a charity then they should be taking a financial hit somewhere as an act of charity. An executive should be drawn from a retired executives list who want to do it for charitable reasons, taking pay of around 40-50k instead. That would be bringing your skills to a charitable organisation, but not taking a full wallet for it, which is most uncharitable. You say in adverts that £10 can bring water to a child in Africa. Here is the killer question: "So how many did the chief executive allow to die at £10 a hit, because they wanted to strip out the fattest salary possible?". Food for thought.

In the final list are the pure evil. Those who have been exploiting children and sexually abusing others have committed more than a sex crime. It is far worse. Is it the act of abusing people when they thought you were bringing charity. This is not just a sex crime. It is worse than that. It is an act of calculated deception. When people do this when hiding behind charity it is like a Catholic priest routinely abusing children, skulking behind a cloak of trust. I think this ought to carry a harsher penalty. These scum ought to brough to justice then out out to grass, with their names sprayed all over the press as a warning to others who abuse by calculated deception.

I hear that obscene financial waste is another story to come soon from the charity sector. At a price of £10 a child for clean water, how many others have died due to this lack of financial care? The overall lesson of course, is the one I highlighted at the start. That the well meaning aims of an organisation does translate to alignment of the same to individual level. If people have been shocked by this story, then this ought to be the lesson learned - that even when it comes to charities, an air of sensible scepticism is a good thing to keep them on track.

We must learn from mistakes
    made. That statement which is made regularly is a joke. Nothing changes. And this Oxfam scandal will eventually be swept under the carpet like everything else.

If the issue is poor management then I doubt the solution will be pay restraint. Charities are competing for your buck, hence the wages.

The leap people are making from the Oxfam scandal to questioning he size/existence of the DFID budget is dangerous and primarily ideologically driven.

I’m pretty sure this stuff goes on in many charities around the globe, oxfam can’t be unique. A mate of mine was working for save the children in South Sudan a few years back, said his boss, an elderly yank was opening sleeping with a young local girl. He was quite shocked but the yank didn’t care and did f all work all day long aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    Yes, this quote is telling. This is where flimsy, cloudy, idealism meets and shakes hand with the hard headed reality of the real world.

There is no doubt that Oxfam is an outstanding organisation. They have made great strides in the world. Fundraising to the tune of £130 a year is tremendous. Their reaction and delivery on the ground equally so. Yet interestingly, many people still bury their heads in the sand and seem to think that charities cannot be scrutinised, should not be checked and must not be criticised. I have always found this to be an illogical trail of thought.

It is, and always was, and still is, very obvious to me that the ideals of an organisation (noble and well meaning) does not translate into individual brilliance inside it. The individuals inside it are wide-ranging and on a scale from awesome to appalling. In the awesome category they have skilled retirees, who bring expertise from the fields of the military, medicine, accounting and menial but necessary operational tasks such as laying sank banks for flooding. And of course those collecting money on the streets. Many work for nothing or for miminal pay, and rightly so, as the clue is in the word - "CHARITY". Those are the good guys.

In the second category we have the questionable bunch. Generally at the top. They say "I am working for a charity because I want to help". I have carefully watched the spiralling incomes paid for average executives and senor hire in charities. Often this is helping themselves as much as others. They are not there for charity. They are there to fill their pockets. Why are some executives of charites paid 80k - 120k a year? I have no idea. I understand that the demands an executive brings more pressure, but why they should be paid what a prime minister is paid, or mid level executives, is beyond me. If they want to work for a charity then they should be taking a financial hit somewhere as an act of charity. An executive should be drawn from a retired executives list who want to do it for charitable reasons, taking pay of around 40-50k instead. That would be bringing your skills to a charitable organisation, but not taking a full wallet for it, which is most uncharitable. You say in adverts that £10 can bring water to a child in Africa. Here is the killer question: "So how many did the chief executive allow to die at £10 a hit, because they wanted to strip out the fattest salary possible?". Food for thought.

In the final list are the pure evil. Those who have been exploiting children and sexually abusing others have committed more than a sex crime. It is far worse. Is it the act of abusing people when they thought you were bringing charity. This is not just a sex crime. It is worse than that. It is an act of calculated deception. When people do this when hiding behind charity it is like a Catholic priest routinely abusing children, skulking behind a cloak of trust. I think this ought to carry a harsher penalty. These scum ought to brough to justice then out out to grass, with their names sprayed all over the press as a warning to others who abuse by calculated deception.

I hear that obscene financial waste is another story to come soon from the charity sector. At a price of £10 a child for clean water, how many others have died due to this lack of financial care? The overall lesson of course, is the one I highlighted at the start. That the well meaning aims of an organisation does translate to alignment of the same to individual level. If people have been shocked by this story, then this ought to be the lesson learned - that even when it comes to charities, an air of sensible scepticism is a good thing to keep them on track.
    Your reply is well positioned ,I've always wondered how the organisation of said charities are motivated to ensure the monies provided are put to effective purpose and not placed in the hands of dubious people in these very countries who are run very badly at the outset, for me it's not good enough to just blame the greedy west whilst the very people they have amongst them are not cared for , and crime and terrorism is rife.

Oxfam have sent out this letter by email to supporters (I have donated so make the list) and volunteers this evening:

Dear Jon,

I’m writing to you today heartbroken about the devastating stories you will have seen in the news, reporting the sexual misconduct of some former Oxfam employees in Haiti in 2011 and Chad from 2006.

I know that this apology is by no means enough but I want to offer it unreservedly to our supporters, volunteers, staff and the people of Haiti and Chad for the things that happened in our name. I am so sorry.

I can’t overstate what a massive blow this week has been to our mission to help people around the world. I am also greatly saddened by the resignation of Penny Lawrence our Deputy Director. She is appalled that these events happened on her watch and recognised it was only right to stand down. Penny has dedicated her life to the fight against poverty and is a huge loss to all of us.

I feel great responsibility for the trust that you all – as supporters, shoppers, staff and volunteers – place in Oxfam and I know that these devastating reports will have damaged that trust. All I can say is that we are working to rebuild that trust.

Along with our Chair of Trustees Caroline Thomson, I have already met with the Secretary of State for Development and was able to update her on the significant improvements we have already made since 2011. We are also committed to developing a more comprehensive package of measures, including:
    •Establishing a stronger and independent confidential 'whistleblowing' line to ensure that we do all we can to prevent sexual abuse and misconduct happening in the first place.
    •Strengthening the vetting of staff, including making safeguarding a mandatory part of the recruitment process for senior leadership positions.
    •Revisiting improvements already made and learn additional lessons from Haiti 2011.

We will be working closely with the Department for International Development (DfID) and the Charity Commission to make sure we do everything in our power to protect the people we serve around the world.

You will also have seen reports of sexual misconduct in our UK shops dating from before 2014/15. These were among cases identified through our whistleblowing procedure, which were dealt with at the time. Since then we have introduced a whole range of more robust measures to improve how we deal with these issues. I know that today, our shops are a safe place for staff and volunteers alike.

The coming weeks and months will be among the hardest in Oxfam’s history. Please know that we will learn from this. And please also know that this organisation is still full of amazing, brave, committed staff and volunteers who are making remarkable life-saving, life-changing work happen in desperate situations. Just last month I saw first-hand our vital response to the Rohingya crisis in Bangladesh. I think of the unfolding disaster in DR Congo where dedicated Oxfam teams are getting clean drinking water to people without thought for their own personal safety. The ongoing conflict in Yemen where we are reaching people with much needed food. Our relentless campaigning to break down the barriers that keep people poor. This work continues and, with your support, we won’t stop fighting poverty and suffering wherever it exists.

Once again, I offer my apologies to you all.

Thank you for your support.

Mark Goldring
    Chief Executive, Oxfam GB

PS. I would like to add a huge thank you for all the messages of support we have received over the last few days. It really does mean so much to know you are there with us.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Oxfam have sent out this letter by email to supporters (I have donated so make the list) and volunteers this evening:

Dear Jon,

I’m writing to you today heartbroken about the devastating stories you will have seen in the news, reporting the sexual misconduct of some former Oxfam employees in Haiti in 2011 and Chad from 2006.

I know that this apology is by no means enough but I want to offer it unreservedly to our supporters, volunteers, staff and the people of Haiti and Chad for the things that happened in our name. I am so sorry.

I can’t overstate what a massive blow this week has been to our mission to help people around the world. I am also greatly saddened by the resignation of Penny Lawrence our Deputy Director. She is appalled that these events happened on her watch and recognised it was only right to stand down. Penny has dedicated her life to the fight against poverty and is a huge loss to all of us.

I feel great responsibility for the trust that you all – as supporters, shoppers, staff and volunteers – place in Oxfam and I know that these devastating reports will have damaged that trust. All I can say is that we are working to rebuild that trust.

Along with our Chair of Trustees Caroline Thomson, I have already met with the Secretary of State for Development and was able to update her on the significant improvements we have already made since 2011. We are also committed to developing a more comprehensive package of measures, including:
    •Establishing a stronger and independent confidential 'whistleblowing' line to ensure that we do all we can to prevent sexual abuse and misconduct happening in the first place.
    •Strengthening the vetting of staff, including making safeguarding a mandatory part of the recruitment process for senior leadership positions.
    •Revisiting improvements already made and learn additional lessons from Haiti 2011.

We will be working closely with the Department for International Development (DfID) and the Charity Commission to make sure we do everything in our power to protect the people we serve around the world.

You will also have seen reports of sexual misconduct in our UK shops dating from before 2014/15. These were among cases identified through our whistleblowing procedure, which were dealt with at the time. Since then we have introduced a whole range of more robust measures to improve how we deal with these issues. I know that today, our shops are a safe place for staff and volunteers alike.

The coming weeks and months will be among the hardest in Oxfam’s history. Please know that we will learn from this. And please also know that this organisation is still full of amazing, brave, committed staff and volunteers who are making remarkable life-saving, life-changing work happen in desperate situations. Just last month I saw first-hand our vital response to the Rohingya crisis in Bangladesh. I think of the unfolding disaster in DR Congo where dedicated Oxfam teams are getting clean drinking water to people without thought for their own personal safety. The ongoing conflict in Yemen where we are reaching people with much needed food. Our relentless campaigning to break down the barriers that keep people poor. This work continues and, with your support, we won’t stop fighting poverty and suffering wherever it exists.

Once again, I offer my apologies to you all.

Thank you for your support.

Mark Goldring
    Chief Executive, Oxfam GB

PS. I would like to add a huge thank you for all the messages of support we have received over the last few days. It really does mean so much to know you are there with us.
    Think they should have added we will also seek to remain free of political statements and views.

Always check what percentage of the charity's turnover is dedicated to "admin" costs e.g. via Charity Choice website. I donate monthly to various different charities but they are all very small ones with no highly paid CEOs, and where the majority of the workers are volunteers. I must admit I tend to avoid the larger ones like Oxfam as they spend a huge amount on unwanted advertising material but I admit I do use their charity shop, both to buy and donate stuff.

It's getting worse , I personally only give to people In need in our own country

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-43046966

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think they should have added we will also seek to remain free of political statements and views.
    The line "we won’t stop fighting poverty and suffering wherever it exists" might mean they have to be political in some respect, if they have proof that something political is causing poverty and suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The line "we won’t stop fighting poverty and suffering wherever it exists" might mean they have to be political in some respect, if they have proof that something political is causing poverty and suffering.
    I do agree but they rarely comment on the overlords or junta that run those countries into the ground , they have though sent out flagrant comments blaming capitism and western greed causing these problems , that is not always the case , and is it there place to judge , a lot is down to miss managed and self intrest.

In my view there role is a simple one , to deliver aid not politicise

In Ireland the CEO of Oxfam is paid €120k p.a. Through both donations and sales of clothes in the shops, there is a profit of 1.4m. Over 10% of sales and donations in the shops covers the CEO's salary. Of course they bring in donations from elsewhere.
    I have read that 70% of donations goes directly to aid projects. We can all be cynical but that's 70% more than nothing.
    Aid is a temporary measure, emergency relief.
    Personally, I think it should be the responsibly of the UN, EU, African League of Nations? Whatever covers the Oil rich countries of the ME and the US & UK who profit by billions of £/$ in sales of arms to countries that have a knock on effect with these countries.
    As for putting the aid into 'looking after our own, make huge cuts in defence. If you can't build hospitals to look after your own, why put it into the military?