+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Oven Door Seal - glue it ?

Oven Door Seal - glue it ?

Got a fairly new oven - and it seems the seal around the door is a bit loose - it's fixed in the corners but loose on the horizontal / vertical bits.

Is this normal - or does it need to be 'glued' in place ?, the seal doesnt appear broken or perished - but when the oven is on it leaks heat.

Anyone know if I should go and get a new one or just reseal the one in place ?

Re: Oven Door Seal - glue it ?

Glue will melt. !!!

Seems like you've got a fault there

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Glue will melt. !!!

Seems like you've got a fault there
    Not glue as in super glue - but the heat resistant 'glue', it seems that I should just go and get a new one according to youtube vids anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Got a fairly new oven - and it seems the seal around the door is a bit loose - it's fixed in the corners but loose on the horizontal / vertical bits.

Is this normal - or does it need to be 'glued' in place ?, the seal doesnt appear broken or perished - but when the oven is on it leaks heat.

This is definitely not a fault. Nearly all oven door seals have clips in the corners to hold them in place. This makes them easily replaceable when they fail.

The problem is though Baz - it doesnt look like there is anything wrong with it, the seal hasnt perished, isnt kinked in anyway etc, just seems that because it's a bit loose - the hot air is escaping somehow.

The problem is though Baz - it doesnt look like there is anything wrong with it, the seal hasnt perished, isnt kinked in anyway etc, just seems that because it's a bit loose - the hot air is escaping somehow.
    Most electric ovens have cooling fans. The vent for this fan is located just above the oven door. This blows the vented hot air out of the front of the appliance, rather than out back like it used to on older cookers, causing condensation.

just checked ours

ours is fixed in the corners and loose on the runs , i guess its to help with expansion etc when it gets hot ? ?

if in doubt google amazon and see what the reviews say

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...wgy89eb7_b_p28

oven3.jpg
    Have a look here - hopefully you can see the seal seems fine, Im guessing the holes on the sides are vents ?
    Ive ordered a new one - so will fit it eitherway and see if it makes a difference
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds the same as ours as well Matt, maybe ours expands too much and lets the hot air out ?

All ovens leak heat, to promote convection through the oven and to stop them exploding due to the thermal expansion of the air when you heat it from room temperature to 200C.

I would suggest that gluing the seal on is probably not the best idea.

If it had venting elsewhere and you do need to glue the seal in place, there are glues you could use that wouldn't melt at the kind of temperature you'd be looking at, but I'd check first.

Not glue as in super glue - but the heat resistant 'glue', it seems that I should just go and get a new one according to youtube vids anyway
    I think super glue is thermosetting, so would probably be ok

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think super glue is thermosetting, so would probably be ok
    Actually it's not

Sounds normal to me - no signs of scorching so can't be that much heat escaping.

Does it cook the food properly - if the's too much heat escaping it could affect the cooking time or temperature in the oven.

I definitely wouldn't glue it it'll be a bugger to change if if deteriorates in future years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Sounds normal to me - no signs of scorching so can't be that much heat escaping.

Does it cook the food properly - if the's too much heat escaping it could affect the cooking time or temperature in the oven.

I definitely wouldn't glue it it'll be a bugger to change if if deteriorates in future years.
    There is a sign of scorching on the oven door (cant see it in the photos) on the top right hand side - which is why I think / thought there was a problem with the seal.

The door itself seems to shut properly - it's also level etc. So Im a bit baffled as to what is going on. I ordered a new seal so will fit that anyway. Will have to check with the Mrs - if it is cooking food properly - though with her cooking - you would never be able to tell anyway.....