+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Must win?

  1. #1

    Must win?

    Feels to me that tonight's game is bordering on must win status.

    Past results for Cardiff against Bolton are discouraging, as is Neil's record against them and against their present manager. That, along with City's ability to shoot themselves in the foot when they play teams in the basement of the division fills me with some foreboding.

    Can someone help out by finding some positives about this game? Please, pretty please!

  2. #2

    Re: Must win?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Feels to me that tonight's game is bordering on must win status.

    Past results for Cardiff against Bolton are discouraging, as is Neil's record against them and against their present manager. That, along with City's ability to shoot themselves in the foot when they play teams in the basement of the division fills me with some foreboding.

    Can someone help out by finding some positives about this game? Please, pretty please!
    We're above them in the league? I share your concern but then I'm like this before every match

  3. #3

    Re: Must win?

    We always bounce back after an indifferent game on TV
    were at home
    Think Ken will play and score
    The players with he flu will be better
    No TV

  4. #4

    Re: Must win?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Feels to me that tonight's game is bordering on must win status.

    Past results for Cardiff against Bolton are discouraging, as is Neil's record against them and against their present manager. That, along with City's ability to shoot themselves in the foot when they play teams in the basement of the division fills me with some foreboding.

    Can someone help out by finding some positives about this game? Please, pretty please!
    Ive backed us to score two early goals.

  5. #5

    Re: Must win?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Feels to me that tonight's game is bordering on must win status.

    Past results for Cardiff against Bolton are discouraging, as is Neil's record against them and against their present manager. That, along with City's ability to shoot themselves in the foot when they play teams in the basement of the division fills me with some foreboding.

    Can someone help out by finding some positives about this game? Please, pretty please!
    The last time we played them in a night game down here (1988) we were pushing for promotion and won 1-0 with a late goal. (I always think it was Kevin Bartlett that scored but it was Gilligan, Bartlett must have set it up). Anyway, there's your omen. Lump on a 1-0, enjoy the game and don't panic if its 0-0 late on.

  6. #6

    Re: Must win?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Feels to me that tonight's game is bordering on must win status.

    Past results for Cardiff against Bolton are discouraging, as is Neil's record against them and against their present manager. That, along with City's ability to shoot themselves in the foot when they play teams in the basement of the division fills me with some foreboding.

    Can someone help out by finding some positives about this game? Please, pretty please!
    I'm not going, so that's one positive.

  7. #7

    Re: Must win?

    If we can't beat Bolton at home we may as well give up on promotion

  8. #8

    Re: Must win?

    Looking for an automatic spot I think it is. We need to build up a good run again.

    3-1

  9. #9

    Re: Must win?

    all matches are must win aren't they!

  10. #10

    Re: Must win?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    If we can't beat Bolton at home we may as well give up on promotion
    Dont be so daft!!

  11. #11

    Re: Must win?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    The last time we played them in a night game down here (1988) we were pushing for promotion and won 1-0 with a late goal. (I always think it was Kevin Bartlett that scored but it was Gilligan, Bartlett must have set it up). Anyway, there's your omen. Lump on a 1-0, enjoy the game and don't panic if its 0-0 late on.
    Why is it that I thought it was Bartlett who scored in that game as well? It's one of my favourite games of that time - could have sworn it was Bartlett who scored!

  12. #12

    Re: Must win?

    Thanks for the positives.

  13. #13

    Re: Must win?

    We will win this

  14. #14

    Re: Must win?

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Why is it that I thought it was Bartlett who scored in that game as well? It's one of my favourite games of that time - could have sworn it was Bartlett who scored!
    I've been looking around for a still or even a video of the goal but no luck. It was a big game and a good atmosphere that night, very tense with a late winner. I'm surprised I couldn't remember who scored the goal. My guess is that Bartlett played such a big part in it that we've ended up crediting him with the goal itself. I'm sure I can see him scoring with his right foot from a narrowish angle in front of the Canton Stand but he must have rolled it across for Gilligan to tap in.

    I was idly wondering earlier how many of the 6,703 that were there that night were there tonight too. Tens, hundreds, thousands?

  15. #15

    Re: Must win?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I've been looking around for a still or even a video of the goal but no luck. It was a big game and a good atmosphere that night, very tense with a late winner. I'm surprised I couldn't remember who scored the goal. My guess is that Bartlett played such a big part in it that we've ended up crediting him with the goal itself. I'm sure I can see him scoring with his right foot from a narrowish angle in front of the Canton Stand but he must have rolled it across for Gilligan to tap in.

    I was idly wondering earlier how many of the 6,703 that were there that night were there tonight too. Tens, hundreds, thousands?
    Well I was! funny enough I was comparing Zohore's push the ball past defender and runs to Bartletts to Lawnmower earlier. Obviously Bartletts shots would mostly never trouble the keeper but boy he was quick.

    Bolton would have had John Thomas up front - always a favourite player name of mine.

  16. #16

    Re: Must win?

    Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Well I was! funny enough I was comparing Zohore's push the ball past defender and runs to Bartletts to Lawnmower earlier. Obviously Bartletts shots would mostly never trouble the keeper but boy he was quick.

    Bolton would have had John Thomas up front - always a favourite player name of mine.
    Bartlett and Gilligan were a good partnership. Once we'd learnt how to use Bartlett's pace he became very effective for us. After he went we'd try and put the same balls through for Paul Wheeler but it wasn't quite the same. Just looked at his Wiki page, he got promoted to the top flight with Notts County in 90-91 - under Warnock. Small world.

  17. #17

    Re: Must win?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I've been looking around for a still or even a video of the goal but no luck. It was a big game and a good atmosphere that night, very tense with a late winner. I'm surprised I couldn't remember who scored the goal. My guess is that Bartlett played such a big part in it that we've ended up crediting him with the goal itself. I'm sure I can see him scoring with his right foot from a narrowish angle in front of the Canton Stand but he must have rolled it across for Gilligan to tap in.

    I was idly wondering earlier how many of the 6,703 that were there that night were there tonight too. Tens, hundreds, thousands?
    Exactly as I recall it - I reckon maybe half a half of the crowd that night were there last night thirty years later.

  18. #18

    Re: Must win?

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Exactly as I recall it - I reckon maybe half a half of the crowd that night were there last night thirty years later.
    I remember it being a tense game. It was foggy on the way home too, my dad took the wrong turning. Can't remember the goal, but remember the Bolton fans were at the lower grandstand Canton End.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •