+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock's 'Mix 'n Match' team selection

Warnock's 'Mix 'n Match' team selection

Last night's (surprising ?) eleven only had Etheridge, Morrison, Manga, Ralls, Hoilett and Zohore from the 'settled' team at the start of the season. Yet overall they seemed to gell pretty well - more power to Neil and his team set-up and selection.

The team he puts out against 'Boro will be interesting.

Re: Warnock's 'Mix 'n Match' team selection

Peltier also

I thought we looked far more balanced last night. Grujic showed what he can bring and I'm glad he dropped Bamba instead of shoe horning 3 centre backs into the team.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I thought we looked far more balanced last night. Grujic showed what he can bring and I'm glad he dropped Bamba instead of shoe horning 3 centre backs into the team.
    I was surprised he did that. I thought Morrison/Bamba would be hist first choice pairing, with Manga either shunted to right back or dropped to the bench. I know Bolton were pretty toothless last night, but thought the defence was solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    I was surprised he did that. I thought Morrison/Bamba would be hist first choice pairing, with Manga either shunted to right back or dropped to the bench. I know Bolton were pretty toothless last night, but thought the defence was solid.
    Whilst I like Bamba I do thino he's overrated by our fans. Morrison is our best defender by a country mile and was the only Cardiff player who looked comfortable when playing against Man City.

The problem with Manga and Bamba is that they are erratic and positionally not the best, Bamba in particular.
    I hope playing the 3 three together becomes a rarity.

Bamba is our best player by a country mile. He's had a mixed last couple of games due to injury (missed Man City) and then illness when he was under the weather just before Millwall. I think he was probably rested last night ready for Middlesborough. He is a much better player than Manga. We actually started the game last night with three centre backs (Peltier, Manga, Morrison) with Paterson and Traore as wing backs but had to change it quite quickly when Ward went off and Paterson went central. I was a bit mystified by the changes to start with but anyway it worked ok and Warnock obviously knows what he is doing. I think he will change the team as we go along to suit the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Bamba is our best player by a country mile. He's had a mixed last couple of games due to injury (missed Man City) and then illness when he was under the weather just before Millwall. I think he was probably rested last night ready for Middlesborough. He is a much better player than Manga. We actually started the game last night with three centre backs (Peltier, Manga, Morrison) with Paterson and Traore as wing backs but had to change it quite quickly when Ward went off and Paterson went central. I was a bit mystified by the changes to start with but anyway it worked ok and Warnock obviously knows what he is doing. I think he will change the team as we go along to suit the opposition.
    I can't agree with that. Take Bamba out and we can cope, lose Morrison and all hell breaks loose. I rate Bamba and think he's brilliant but we need Ralls, Gunnar, Morrison and Hoilett more. That being said, he's one of my all time favourite players already.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I can't agree with that. Take Bamba out and we can cope, lose Morrison and all hell breaks loose. I rate Bamba and think he's brilliant but we need Ralls, Gunnar, Morrison and Hoilett more. That being said, he's one of my all time favourite players already.
    Cant really argue too much with that. Perhaps agree to put put Morrison and Bamba on a par. Bamba is a character which is why most people like him. Dont think Morrison is anywhere near as skilfull but he does hold it all together at the back.

C Dont think Morrison is anywhere near as skilfull but he does hold it all together at the back.
    Anyone who's seen the two of them play knows that it's a joint venture - they both shout, cajole, lead by example and organise.
    They are a marriage made in heaven

Whilst I like Bamba I do thino he's overrated by our fans. Morrison is our best defender by a country mile and was the only Cardiff player who looked comfortable when playing against Man City.

The problem with Manga and Bamba is that they are erratic and positionally not the best, Bamba in particular.
    I hope playing the 3 three together becomes a rarity.
    Agreed. Bamba is criminally overrated as he makes the odd great challenge with his long legs catching up on someone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Agreed. Bamba is criminally overrated as he makes the odd great challenge with his long legs catching up on someone.
    I don't think he's criminally overrated. He's pretty bloody good.

Cant really argue too much with that. Perhaps agree to put put Morrison and Bamba on a par. Bamba is a character which is why most people like him. Dont think Morrison is anywhere near as skilfull but he does hold it all together at the back.
    I love bamba but skilful Is streching it he's prone to making a mistake per game

Bamba has had a handful of below average games recently but overall has been brilliant. Dont know how anyone can say he is not skilfull after some of the covering tackles he has pulled off, goals scored and mazy runs. He has got Manga and Morrison out of trouble on many occasions. Like Morrison as well though - Mr reliable.

Bamba has had a handful of below average games recently but overall has been brilliant. Dont know how anyone can say he is not skilfull after some of the covering tackles he has pulled off, goals scored and mazy runs. He has got Manga and Morrison out of trouble on many occasions. Like Morrison as well though - Mr reliable.
    Agreed, some of Neil Warnock's signings can be criticised, but Bamba and Hoilett have been excellent buys when you consider we got them for nothing.

In my opinion theres not much between them, both excellent so far this season, as has Morrison been. We are lucky to have them.

Your spot on with the formation to start the game, Paterson was very wide, Traore also. I think Hoilett might have been up top with Ken, and Ward in behind them. Thought we looked a much better shape when Yildschut came on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I don't think he's criminally overrated. He's pretty bloody good.
    Yeah, maybe that's a bit far but I do think he's definitely overrated as many mention him as our best player etc.

He isn't in our top 5 players for me. He's solid enough though fair play.

This was the big one for me when looking at the team. It has been painful to see us play with and almost insist on 3 at the back, had to be Bamba this time because he was at fault for the goal Friday, but at another time could have been manga. Glad he's been brave and bold.

Sols an action man, Morrison has to pick up the pieces he leaves behind. Given the choice one on the pitch, I'd pick Morrison everytime. I think he improves every month and would say he's our best centre half in the last decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Sols an action man, Morrison has to pick up the pieces he leaves behind. Given the choice one on the pitch, I'd pick Morrison everytime. I think he improves every month and would say he's our best centre half in the last decade or so.
    I dunno, Hudson for me I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Apparently Bamba and another player had flu/cold - they apparently travelled to Millwall separately - at least that's what the fella sat next to me said last night. So maybe Bamba being rested.
    Thats true radio wales reported it. The other player was Joe Ralls.Bamba influence on the side cannot be overated he is a talisman and drive and energy is as important as silky skills.I actually think Bamba is very skillful. The goal he had disallowed against Millwall being a good example.If a Man City player had done that the media would say world class finish.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    Thats true radio wales reported it. The other player was Joe Ralls.Bamba influence on the side cannot be overated he is a talisman and drive and energy is as important as silky skills.I actually think Bamba is very skillful. The goal he had disallowed against Millwall being a good example.If a Man City player had done that the media would say world class finish.
    Re Bamba, it's a nice problem to have. Like most people on here I really like him, but other than a few players who seem automatic choices (Morrison and Ralls....and Grujic for a different reason) there seems to be genuine competition for places. Warnock could have pretty much started a different XI last night and it would have probably been enough to win the game. It will be even more true when we have a few back from injury. I personally like a settled team but with the games coming thick and fast in this league, it's nice to see players having to earn their place in the starting line-up.

i liked the shape of the team last night and hope we can keep the right balance. In a back 3 I would have Bamba as the middle player where he can read the game and bring the ball out of defence and leave Morrison and Manga as the markers. Peltier looked solid on the right of the 3.

team for Boro

...................Ethridge
    ....Morrison, Bamba, Manga
    Paterson, Grujic, Ralls, Bennett
    ....Wildschut, Zohore, Hoilett

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    i liked the shape of the team last night and hope we can keep the right balance. In a back 3 I would have Bamba as the middle player where he can read the game and bring the ball out of defence and leave Morrison and Manga as the markers. Peltier looked solid on the right of the 3.

team for Boro

...................Ethridge
    ....Morrison, Bamba, Manga
    Paterson, Grujic, Ralls, Bennett
    ....Wildschut, Zohore, Hoilett
    Boro played through us with ease when we had 5 at the back up there I don't likenthat idea of that again