+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida school shooting again

Re: Florida school shooting again

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    I suppose the NRA will trot out the usual argument that if everyone carried a gun then these mavericks would be shot before they did so much damage. If you keep giving guns to mentally unstable people, or Americans, as they like to be called, these tragedies are just going to go on and on. It's so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Couldn't believe what I was reading on that thread.
    People openly pleased and praising the guy, unless he wasn't ugly enough to be in their gang, in which case it was a bad thing. Shocking
    That forum is seriously fecked up.

FBI was warned about alleged shooter nearly 5 months ago, tipster says

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/15/u...ned/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I think you mean
    "there are none so blind as those that will not see"
    Thanks for correcting me!

Unfortunately, it was my birthday yesterday and the excess of vino induced the misspelling and malapropism mistakes that made for alliterative mayhem.

My apologies

I read that this is the 8th school shooting this year yet there isn't a problem. The right to bear arms was brought out over 200 years ago ffs

Couldn't believe what I was reading on that thread.
    People openly pleased and praising the guy, unless he wasn't ugly enough to be in their gang, in which case it was a bad thing. Shocking
    I just took a look myself. I didn't understand a lot of the expressions but what I could was pretty frightening. To think I almost relocated to the U.S. once with my work! What a strange society where people can buy machine guns for hunting or self protection...oh, really?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    18 separate shooting incidents in American schools since the start of January.
    The legal right to bear arms is really working out then.
    .....it’s only the middle of February too. Yet they will carry on regardless with their right to bear arms. They are on course to have hundreds of children being shot dead in schools this year. That is indefensible yet Trump will defend the indefensible.

Thoughts and prayers
    Not the time to talk about gun control
    Take more donations from the NRA pre November elections.
    Aaaaaaand repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    It's OK. In this case the shooter had a "mental illness", so he wasn't a terrorist as he's almost certainly white. I saw somewhere that 150,000 school children have been killed since Columbine. I'm not sure if that's true but there's a school shooting every 60 hours in America. Why won't the law makers do anything?
    You are ridiculously way out on those figures.
    The claims are that 150,000 people have experienced a school shooting since Columbine in 1999.
    This is the 25th school to be involved in fatal shootings since Columbine.
    There have been 7 school shootings since the start of the year.
    Compare in 2014, when there were 16 school shootings by the end of February, with 36 shootings in total that year.
    January and February are the months with significantly the highest number of shootings for many years.
    It averages out at around a shooting every 140 hours so far this year.

Instead of peddling anti white rhetoric and wildly inaccurate statements, why don't you get your facts straight first.

Also for those who are trying to make this anti Trump issue. Things were a lot worse under Obama.

This should not be party political, but looking at any patterns and causation, along with any potential reductive actions amongst other things on such a difficult issue.

As others have said, it's easier for under 21's to get guns than it is to drive or have a beer. That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    You are ridiculously way out on those figures.
    The claims are that 150,000 people have experienced a school shooting since Columbine in 1999.
    This is the 25th school to be involved in fatal shootings since Columbine.
    There have been 7 school shootings since the start of the year.
    Compare in 2014, when there were 16 school shootings by the end of February, with 36 shootings in total that year.
    January and February are the months with significantly the highest number of shootings for many years.
    It averages out at around a shooting every 140 hours so far this year.

Instead of peddling anti white rhetoric and wildly inaccurate statements, why don't you get your facts straight first.

Also for those who are trying to make this anti Trump issue. Things were a lot worse under Obama.

This should not be party political, but looking at any patterns and causation, along with any potential reductive actions amongst other things on such a difficult issue.

As others have said, it's easier for under 21's to get guns than it is to drive or have a beer. That's ridiculous.
    Things were a lot worse under Obama? Can we have your version of facts?

Forget the to-ing and fro-ing about Trump and Obama. The problem is embedded in American culture.
    The right to bear arms in complete nonsense in an age where people purchase their meat in supermarkets.

Leaving aside all the “right to bear arms” stuff, have you ever stopped to wonder what the gun market might be worth to the U.S. economy? I hadn't, so I looked it up: $51 billion! Might that have something to do with it?

Link:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tion-industry/

Saw Obama tweeted about the government having to do something about the gun laws. Made me wonder, what did he do in 8 years to change it? Was it a case he tried and couldn't get it pushed through?

I'm seeing a white supremacist group are claiming he trained with them. Does this now make him a terrorist?

Is it?
    With absolute ease

America are lucky they are so far away from the middle east. They can cause all sorts of carnage and they know Asian and European ordinary people will take the brunt of the retribution.

If jihadists had access to america it would be an complete bloodbath.

Comparing road or deaths by cancer against it is ridiculous as well.

I have no idea why people feel the need to diminish the threat from islamic terror. Oh wait yes I do. They're trying to be liberal and defend peaceful muslims by trying to muddy the waters. As if the problem doesn't need addressing.

People die on the roads and of illness. Do people go onto the roads with the intention of murdering others? No. Are illnesses a fact of life? Yes.

You don't expect to blown up watching a musician or going to a nightclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Things were a lot worse under Obama? Can we have your version of facts?
    As TBG said, this isn't about Trump, Obama or any of the previous presidents.
    However, some people on here others including Obama try to discredit Trump, because of this tragedy.

This is a long standing problem with lots of shootings, where often it may be one to three people shot.
    It's personal between the shooter and the few or single person who was shot, just as it is in other areas of American society.

Since Columbine in 1999 (13 killed), the major school shootings have been:
    2005 Reed Lake (7 killed)
    2006 Pennsylvania (5 killed)
    2007 Virginia Tech (32 killed)
    2008 Northern Illinois (5 killed)
    2012 Oakland (7 killed)
    2012 Sandy Hook (27 killed)
    2013 Santa Monica (5 killed)
    2014 Washington (4 killed)
    2015 Oregon (9 killed)
    2018 Florida (17 killed)

In 2014 there were 36 school shootings, 16 by the end of February.

There have been 7 school shootings since the start of this year.

There were 5 major school shootings during Obama's presidency, including Sandy Hook. He took office in January 2009, on the coat tails of Virginia Tech in April 2007.
    Things were appalling under Obama and what exactly did he do about it?

So for anyone to criticise Trump, especially that hypocrite Obama, this is not a party political issue.

It is far deeper than that as others have mentioned.

No points to be scored politically out of this but Obama and Trump seem to have widely differing views on gun control,listened to a BBC reporter saying that one of the Florida school parents had told him it was time to arm the teachers WOW.maybe they could arm sixth form prefects as well.Thank God that it’s not our problem l guess

Obama introduced some minor restrictions on gun ownership but was blocked by Congress from passing major new laws.

Obama made gun control one of the main planks of his second term campaign.

Trump (a year ago) undid the Obama restriction (more a hurdle than a ban) on people with mental illness buying guns.

The NRA are cheer-leaders for Trump.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ol-mass-shoot/

Obama mahybe could have done more with his limited Presidential powers, but major change needed Congress support and he was blocked - including by Red State Democrats who were unwilling to risk alienating some of their base.

Trump is an out-and-out supporter of guns in American society. Every murder or mass murder incident seems to be reduced to a case of unavoidable mental illness in the perpetrator. Unless they can be labelled as a Muslim terrorist of course.

So Trump or Obama does make a difference. Or maybe more accurately, it could make a difference in the future if people like Cruz find it much harder to get their hands on guns.