+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Etheridge....I apologise

Etheridge....I apologise

For a long time I doubted him but he has really grown into his position. Strong in the air, good shot stopper and his kicking today was good.
    So Neil, I apologise.

Re: Etheridge....I apologise

Superb today. Totally dominated his penalty area.

Said for a while his kicking has been better.

Think sometimes it's easy to keep on someone's back when you already have an opinion formed.

Heard a sarcastic "weeeey" once or twice early on as he kicked the ball out after a pass back. Pi@@ed me off if I'm honest.

I even heard a "fvck sake manga" at one point. I think I seen him caught out once all game where Morrison had to cover..but that was always going to happen if he's being told to get up the pitch.

Think a few of our players have to habe superman like performances to get an "he was ok" off parts of our fans.

No reason to apologise , a lot of folk thought the same

Early on he looked uncertain at times , his decesion making was not the best ,defenders around him weren't totally sure about his ability with the high ball , and his distribution was pants .

We have been spolit over the years with good keepers making it a tough gig for him .

The lad though was always brave , acrobatic , able to pull off some stunning saves .

Again our manager has seen something we didn't and brought him on well , his stock will be a lot higher in worth come the end of the season.

I too really doubted him..but he has turned me somewhat. If he can improve his kicking I think he will be a worthy keeper.

That said...he still does have very shaky moments. But hopefully experience will settle him in on that front.

One of the big successes this season.
    He had his chance and has grabbed it with both hands.

International

I think we must remember that he as our 'second choice' keeper.
    Given that I think he has been supurb, he has grown into his position very well which is emphasised by our orginal first choice keeper being sent out on loan.
    If we fail it would not surprise me to see clubs coming looking for him.

Good point. Lee Camp is just a distant memory.

Someone please link me to a bad kick he made today?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Someone please link me to a bad kick he made today?
    you mean from the epic 1 minute highlight selection we got from sky sports? LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Good point. Lee Camp is just a distant memory.
    Who

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    you mean from the epic 1 minute highlight selection we got from sky sports? LOL...
    I don't recall one.

Neither do I after watching the full 90 against Bolton on iPlayer (had work)

Neither do I after watching him against Wall.

Reminds me of Ray Clemence, the way he gets up so quickly

I had my reservations at first as I would with any new player but this young lad is turning into one of the success stories of the season. Even the very best goalkeepers can make mistakes occasionally but Etheridge is developing into a first class player and I think whoever advised Warnock to sign him should get a bonus.

I think Andy Dibble should get some credit.His all round game is improving all the time though I've always thought there was room for improvement technically.Like others have said he seemed to own his area yesterday and thats where theres been an improvement as he always been a good shot stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I don't recall one.

Neither do I after watching the full 90 against Bolton on iPlayer (had work)

Neither do I after watching him against Wall.
    Millwall was like 90% of his kicks going into touch or a very bad place so THAT is a interesting opinion...

the others weren't so bad but still more than occasionally I see him with no pressure just hoof it out of touch or straight into a space with only opposition players..

It's hardly his fault though, When you see Manga on the half way line without pressure pass it allllll the way back to Etheridge just so he can boot it to the other teams GK. You know there is a game plan that revolves around him taking a lot more kicks than usual. More kicks = more chance of failure ofcourse

First season at this level at a new club. I thought he was having a solid season earlier. His kicking was weak but other than that I didn't think he was a weak point, even Marshall would make a few mistakes, they all do. Shot stopping and command of his area has been decent all season.

Last couple months though he looks even more assured and his kicking far far better, not sure what that was about earlier.

Has good potential.

I have been a fan of him from the start. felt a bit sorry for him when he got dropped for Murphy. Yes he makes a few mistakes, but his overall performances have been spot on. And he is still learning.
    Spedger