+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Player ratings

Re: Player ratings

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Is there really a huge difference in your mind between your 6 and someone else’s 7.5?
    Just to clarify, what EXACTLY we talking about here?

Morrison and Ralls our best two players yesterday. We'd be looking at 10m for Ralls if someone like Villa came in for him

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    See Etheridge got 7.5 in one of the threads on this subject and 8 in this one, my question is why? He had barely anything to do.
    For a person who commands much respect for his insightful and in-depth knowledge of the game Bob, this is a very naive question you pose.
    Etheridge having little to do?

It seems your idea of a keeper having something to do is based on miraculous saves and umpteen shots stopped.
    If we would have got beaten 2 nil with Etheridge making half a dozen saves including a penalty then he might be deserving of a 7.5 or an 8 or even a 9.

A goalkeeper forms part of a defensive unit with the defenders in whatever formation is set up. One cannot wax lyrical about any particular defender, in the case of your blog Morrison who I agree has been immense this season by the way, without giving the mainstay behind him any credit.
    Each defender deserves credit (even Bruno although not a wing back)... they kept a clean sheet.

The way Etheridge performed yesterday, keeping his concentration, assured in the air and seemingly anonymous was to be admired.
    The communication, position and general confidence a keeper exudes is just as important as a great save as it allows the players in front of him to not have to even think, for example, a back pass in a tricky situation, and concentrate on their own game.

Just referring to your blog, I felt very different from you in that I could not relax until that final whistle.
    I must confess I did feel pretty nervy, albeit the last 10 minutes or so.
    How many times have we seen accomplished keepers "throw one in" over the years, Peter Enckelmann in the cup final still haunts me!

Out of interest, how many points would you give our number 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Coch View Post
    Just to clarify, what EXACTLY we talking about here?
    Subjectivity.

By definition EXACTNESS isn’t going to play a part.

What did you think was being discussed? Something different?

Some think he was a 6 - others a 7.5 or 8. I’d give him a 7.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    For a person who commands much respect for his insightful and in-depth knowledge of the game Bob, this is a very naive question you pose.

It seems your idea of a keeper having something to do is based on miraculous saves and umpteen shots stopped.
    If we would have got beaten 2 nil with Etheridge making half a dozen saves including a penalty then he might be deserving of a 7.5 or an 8 or even a 9.

A goalkeeper forms part of a defensive unit with the defenders in whatever formation is set up. One cannot wax lyrical about any particular defender, in the case of your blog Morrison who I agree has been immense this season by the way, without giving the mainstay behind him any credit.
    Each defender deserves credit (even Bruno although not a wing back)... they kept a clean sheet.

The way Etheridge performed yesterday, keeping his concentration, assured in the air and seemingly anonymous was to be admired.
    The communication, position and general confidence a keeper exudes is just as important as a great save as it allows the players in front of him to not have to even think, for example, a back pass in a tricky situation, and concentrate on their own game.

Just referring to your blog, I felt very different from you in that I could not relax until that final whistle.
    How many times have we seen accomplished keepers "throw one in" over the years, Peter Enckelmann in the cup final still haunts me!

Exactly, to give the keeper 6 out of 10 when he more than played his part in an excellent team performance against a good ‘Boro team is somewhat odd. He did very well, he commanded his area, as has been said by another poster and rarely looked troubled. I guess that because he didn’t feature in one minute and three seconds of match highlights, then that counts against him.

So why wasn't Etheridge getting praise earlier in the season when we had the best defensive record in the league and he was making more saves than he had to yesterday? Surely he was doing all of the things you talk about then and yet there were plenty around who weren't sure about him at that time.

I mentioned earlier that I would have given Etheridge six for yesterday's game - that's not with the intention of being critical of him in any way, but that's what I think someone who is good at what they do should have when they have as easy a game as he did yesterday.

So why wasn't Etheridge getting praise earlier in the season when we had the best defensive record in the league and he was making more saves than he had to yesterday? Surely he was doing all of the things you talk about then and yet there were plenty around who weren't sure about him at that time.

I mentioned earlier that I would have given Etheridge six for yesterday's game - that's not with the intention of being critical of him in any way, but that's what I think someone who is good at what they do should have when they have as easy a game as he did yesterday.
    Sorry I missed your giving him a six, our postings must have crossed.
    There you go again though. There is no such thing as an easy game in my opinion.
    Without full concentration for 90 minutes, you will fail whether an outfield player or in goal, more importantly if you are in goal actually.

His application yesterday was faultless.

Player ratings are always going to be subjective. We view the game differently. Players reputations, good or bad, will often go before them.

Frank Lampard nearly always scored 8 or above wether hed had a good game or not.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Player ratings are always going to be subjective. We view the game differently. Players reputations, good or bad, will often go before them.
    Pontification personified

Sorry I missed your giving him a six, our postings must have crossed.
    There you go again though. There is no such thing as an easy game in my opinion.
    Without full concentration for 90 minutes, you will fail whether an outfield player or in goal, more importantly if you are in goal actually.

His application yesterday was faultless.
    He'll be getting eleven on here when he has some saves to make!

Yes a keeper needs to concentrate for 90 minutes ( as Ipswich keeper showed earlier on today ) but it's difficult to justify a keeper getting a high make if they have nothing to do all game.

Etheridge for me this season has been above average at what he's had to do, has shown improvement throughout the season. Can't really ask for much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Coch View Post
    Pontification personified
    Bit harsh! I was just trying to be diplomatic!

I just don’t see the point of getting worked up about someonelses ratings. Except when it’s Whitts 4 of course

If he gives 110% he might.

I rated Etheridge at 7.5 in my original post on the other player rating thread. Having read the discussions on his performance and having thought this through thoroughly, I would still give Etheridge’s performance 7.5 yesterday.