+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Opponent's breakaways are our achilles heel

Opponent's breakaways are our achilles heel

The only time I felt some disquiet yesterday (apart from the pie) was when we had a set piece up the field and were left short of defenders at the back. There was one particular breakaway which looked very dangerous when Downing messed up his cross towards the end.

I may be wrong, but there were times when the defenders seemed to be discussing how to set up - almost as though there were no standing instructions.

Re: Opponent's breakaways are our achilles heel

I think the amount of defenders we have back will be down to how many players they leave up the pitch.. if they push a striker up it makes sense to leave 2 back etc.

Before our goal they had a load of people stretched out to defend the ball coming in.. they had 3 men in a small wall to stop Hoilett having an open shot on goal.. they were confused as to who should be in the 3 man wall and the pineapple headed fella moved out to go and defend on the edge of the area..they had no idea what they were meant to be doing, I remember looking at my daughter and sort of smiling/nodding as if to say "here it comes"

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Before our goal they had a load of people stretched out to defend the ball coming in.. they had 3 men in a small wall to stop Hoilett having an open shot on goal.. they were confused as to who should be in the 3 man wall and the pineapple headed fella moved out to go and defend on the edge of the area..they had no idea what they were meant to be doing, I remember looking at my daughter and sort of smiling/nodding as if to say "here it comes"
    Yeah - I was right behind the ball at that free kick and the wall should have had at least one man more and they seemed indecisive as to where to stand. And the goalie was badly positioned for it too.

Don't think Morrison has been credited with what was such a deliciously delicate touch to nod the ball in, mind

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    Yeah - I was right behind the ball at that free kick and the wall should have had at least one man more and they seemed indecisive as to where to stand. And the goalie was badly positioned for it too.

Don't think Morrison has been credited with what was such a deliciously delicate touch to nod the ball in, mind
    Agreed. Sitting half way between the post and the corner flag and about 12 rows up I had a cracking view of it. Very good header.

Agreed. Sitting half way between the post and the corner flag and about 12 rows up I had a cracking view of it. Very good header.
    Also loved his top volume celebratory screaming into the face of that tosser who was assaulting him at every corner.

That must've felt sweet as!!

They be fair we are not a team that leave ourselves exposed by throwing defenders forward in general play. We are more likely to hit teams in the break than they are to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    Also loved his top volume celebratory screaming into the face of that tosser who was assaulting him at every corner.

That must've felt sweet as!!
    Yes Joe I said the same on another thread, was brilliant his celebration wasn't it!

Some teams specifically target breakaways after a set piece, as you know if you're quick a defence that are scrambling to get back are not going to be as effective as one waiting for you to try to play through them. Man City have been especially effective at quickly recycling the ball after a set piece. But when youve got defenders who can play the ball and quick attackers then why wouldn't you try to exploit that.

We have had a phenomenal season when it comes to set pieces, im sure i read before that if you only consider xG from set pieces we have comfortably the highest in the league. It's something we've been good at for a few seasons now, so we must have someone in the coaching or analysis team who knows their onions. What has been different this season, especially at the start is we're also creating chances from open play now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Some teams specifically target breakaways after a set piece, as you know if you're quick a defence that are scrambling to get back are not going to be as effective as one waiting for you to try to play through them. Man City have been especially effective at quickly recycling the ball after a set piece. But when youve got defenders who can play the ball and quick attackers then why wouldn't you try to exploit that.

We have had a phenomenal season when it comes to set pieces, im sure i read before that if you only consider xG from set pieces we have comfortably the highest in the league. It's something we've been good at for a few seasons now, so we must have someone in the coaching or analysis team who knows their onions. What has been different this season, especially at the start is we're also creating chances from open play now too.
    Thought I'd have a quick look at the current E-ratings (likelihood of final position) off the XG website as of 11th Feb (before we played Boro). Very interesting...

https://experimental361.com/2018/02/...p-11-feb-2018/

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Thought I'd have a quick look at the current E-ratings (likelihood of final position) off the XG website as of 11th Feb (before we played Boro). Very interesting...

Edit...

Can you point me in the direction of this info please?
    It's in the link you quoted. I added it on the first post

It's in the link you quoted. I added it on the first post
    Bastard

I edited that.

Long day in work I just didn't look the few mill down the screen on my phone

Bastard

I edited that.

Long day in work I just didn't look the few mill down the screen on my phone
    It's OK - I forgot the link first time I posted it, which is probably why you didn't see it first time but then quoted it. Unlucky!

To expand on that, here's how this fella's model predicts the season will pan out based on current xG ratings

reckons we have a 38% chance at getting 2nd

https://twitter.com/experimental361/...57972211445760

edit - forgot the link

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    To expand on that, here's how this fella's model predicts the season will pan out based on current xG ratings

reckons we have a 38% chance at getting 2nd

https://twitter.com/experimental361/...57972211445760

edit - forgot the link
    The 38% chance is better than anyone else's at present, and he pointed out that both Villa and Derby appeared to be in false positions based on the stats, which have been proven correct in the week since they were published on 11th Feb. We also have a 95% chance of making the play-offs it seems

The 38% chance is better than anyone else's at present, and he pointed out that both Villa and Derby appeared to be in false positions based on the stats, which have been proven correct in the week since they were published on 11th Feb. We also have a 95% chance of making the play-offs it seems
    nah, individual results don't prove anything either way (it is tempting to think so though when they seem to agree with the theory).

It's OK - I forgot the link first time I posted it, which is probably why you didn't see it first time but then quoted it. Unlucky!
    Now that makes more sense. I thought i was going nuts here for a second