+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seán Morrison

Seán Morrison

At the time, who thought the club should have sold Morrison to Wednesday at the start of the season? (3m?)
    He must be favourite for player of the year.

Re: Seán Morrison

Not me. I think Manga is horrifically overrated by our fans because he brings a ball forward now and again.

Well done Sean

Morrison is a hugely influential player for us now. As the stats in various threads reiterate.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Not me. I think Manga is horrifically overrated by our fans because he brings a ball forward now and again.

Well done Sean
    I think they have both had some stick. Morrison doesn't anymore but Manga does.

Manga got fouled by Ameobi Tuesday as I listened on the radio, watching it back on ifollow it wasn't the nicest of tackles, and you can hear someone scream at manga over the radio to "get the **** up" or words to those effect. Some fans will just never like the guy.
    Same as some fans will always shout sarcastic comments as Etheridge goes to kick the ball out. Pathetic really.

I've always rated Morrison, could never understand the shit he took from some of our fans, especially during the Slade days. His positional sense is very good, he stays on his feet, and is rarely dominated, the perfect Central Defender at this level. I think that he could play lower level Premier league, he's got more intelligence than Manga or Bamba. As for the spelling of his name, well, Louth is spelling it the Irish way, I don't believe that Morrison spells it that way, but who gives a shit. I can't understand why grown men on this forum squabble like little children because of their own prejudices, inadequacies, boredom etc, it doesn't matter, feeling the need to prove a point. It's very sad. This could be a good thread, but now it's ****ed because the op has opted to use a different method of spelling. So ****ing what, deal with the question posed.

Cardiff fans are an embarrassment on times for abusing their own players.

Hudson, Morrison, Whitts to name 3 players who’ve been great servants and still got abuse.

Most of us like a moan about certain players, and go over the top about our favourite players, but I really don’t understand the mind set of booing or abusing one of your own players live at a game. How can you possibly think that’s going to help his performance?

The worst I ever saw was after we conceded a late equaliser at home to Reading under DJ. I’m not even sure Lee Naylor was to blame for the goal but he got the brunt of it.

He come to the corner between the Canton and Ninian to take a throw and there was men in their 50s running down the steps to abuse him as badly as if we were playing the Jacks and it was Alan Tate taking a thrown in. The abuse thrown at him was disgusting.

I wasn’t his biggest fan either but really felt for the fella.

I don't think we'd be anywhere near second place without Morrison, he and Ralls have been magnificent.
    I'm looking forward to coming over for the Forest game. Hopefully we'll still be in the same position.

Anyway, fantastic captain, a very nice calming presence and his positional awareness is fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Anyway, fantastic captain, a very nice calming presence and his positional awareness is fantastic
    I didn't realise how young he was. If we went up, I'd certainly have him at the heart of the defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    I didn't realise how young he was. If we went up, I'd certainly have him at the heart of the defence.
    He might the only player in the squad who could make the step up. Been a class act all season long.

You should have paid a lot more for him #daylightrobbery.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He might the only player in the squad who could make the step up. Been a class act all season long.
    What about Etheridge, Hoilett, Bamba, Paterson ?.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Out of those four, I could only see Etheridge maybe stepping up, although he'd have to improve a bit more in my opinion. I don't think Paterson is clever enough, Bamba plays on his instincts and I think Hoilett would get worked out quite quickly. At this level they're great.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Etheridge might get away with it, but none of the others. In my opinion.

I think Hoilett could step up. He's every bit as good if not better than Routledge or Clucas in my opinion

Bamba would have nightmares against clever players like Firminio, Jesus, etc

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I think Hoilett could step up. He's every bit as good if not better than Routledge or Clucas in my opinion

Not a dig at him at all because he's been great for us, but he was pulled out of position against Millwall. People are right to say he would struggle in certain circumstances. Just as he would be equally great lunging in with a last ditch tackle with his 15 foot long legs at the right time every now and again.

You mean Jesus would crucify him?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Not a dig at him at all because he's been great for us, but he was pulled out of position against Millwall. People are right to say he would struggle in certain circumstances. Just as he would be equally great lunging in with a last ditch tackle with his 15 foot long legs at the right time every now and again.
    I agree he's been brilliant for us but surely there's levels and if someone on the level of Steve Morrison can outwit Bamba, what would someone like Eden Hazard or Ozil do?

Like you said, it's not a dig just an honest observation.

I agree he's been brilliant for us but surely there's levels and if someone on the level of Steve Morrison can outwit Bamba, what would someone like Eden Hazard or Ozil do?

Like you said, it's not a dig just an honest observation.
    Not necessarily the case brilliance of players or otherwise pulls someone out of position, it's entirely situational. Someone else fails to cover a player, Bamba then caught having to make a quite choice to either go with his man, pick up runner or adopt a "half and half" approach.

Does he get caught out any more than the average central defender? I'd personally not say so.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Not necessarily the case brilliance of players or otherwise pulls someone out of position, it's entirely situational. Someone else fails to cover a player, Bamba then caught having to make a quite choice to either go with his man, pick up runner or adopt a "half and half" approach.

Does he get caught out any more than the average central defender? I'd personally not say so.
    The amount of lunging slide tackles he makes are evidence that he gets caught out of position

I'd say definitely mate. Paulo Maldini once said "If I've had to make a tackle then I've already made a mistake."

I'd say definitely mate. Paulo Maldini once said "If I've had to make a tackle then I've already made a mistake."
    Don't think anyone would confuse Bamba for Maldini though. Completely different style of players playing in different leagues which have different requirements for defenders.

Gabbidon made a career out of being applauded for great recovery tackles whilst people ignored the fact he'd made a mistake in the first instance.

Bamba is what he is, a meat and potatoes honest central defender. May make the odd mistake but gives it his all.

Don't think anyone would confuse Bamba for Maldini though. Completely different style of players playing in different leagues which have different requirements for defenders.

Gabbidon made a career out of being applauded for great recovery tackles whilst people ignored the fact he'd made a mistake in the first instance.

Bamba is what he is, a meat and potatoes honest central defender. May make the odd mistake but gives it his all.
    That's why I think he'd get exposed at a higher level. It's not a criticism, he's been brilliant for us but top players and managers would expose him.

That's why I think he'd get exposed at a higher level. It's not a criticism, he's been brilliant for us but top players and managers would expose him.
    Top manager and players would try to expose him. A good manager boosts his strengths and hides his weaknesses. It's all swings and roundabouts.

A 33 year old Bamba would definitely get exposed at the next level. Not so much by Ozil and Hazard as they expose the best but even the likes of Jay Rodriguez, Glen Murray and Sam Vokes will cause him problems at the next level imo.