+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New Russian doping scandal rocks 'clean' winter olympics

New Russian doping scandal rocks 'clean' winter olympics

An anti-doping case has been opened against Russian medal-winning curler Alexander Krushelnitsky, says the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Meldonium is a drug designed to treat ischemia, a condition where there is a reduction in blood supply to body tissue. It is also said to have benefits for diabetes sufferers.

Curling has long been recognised as a deceptively strenuous sport with huge financial rewards for competitors who are in the gym enduring rigorous six-hour workouts every day. Medal winners are revered as heroes by their legion of followers. The temptation to take improvement-enhancing drugs is the scourge of the sport.

Re: New Russian doping scandal rocks 'clean' winter olympics

Its too tempting with all that snow lying around

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Its too tempting with all that snow lying around
    Possibly you are taking this a little too lightly.

Curling success depends on the finest of fine margins, exceptional reflexes, superbly-toned upper body strength and the stamina of a mountaineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    Possibly you are taking this a little too lightly.

Curling success depends on the finest of fine margins, exceptional reflexes, superbly-toned upper body strength and the stamina of a mountaineer.
    If he took any drugs ,it was only to stay awake during the competition

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    If he took any drugs ,it was only to stay awake during the competition
    I'm guessing here that you've never experienced the electric frenzy of an Edinburgh curling competition...

Joking aside why on earth did we let any Russians take place ? ? ?

This cannot come as a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    An anti-doping case has been opened against Russian medal-winning curler Alexander Krushelnitsky, says the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Meldonium is a drug designed to treat ischemia, a condition where there is a reduction in blood supply to body tissue. It is also said to have benefits for diabetes sufferers.

Curling has long been recognised as a deceptively strenuous sport with huge financial rewards for competitors who are in the gym enduring rigorous six-hour workouts every day. Medal winners are revered as heroes by their legion of followers. The temptation to take improvement-enhancing drugs is the scourge of the sport.
    I found it amazing they were granted the tournament. Anyone who has been to Russia will realize there s one big thing well and truly embedded into their culture: Nihilism. Principles and humanity are negligible. It is a case of "anything goes to get the result". The cheating, crookery and gangster mentality is dominant and has been for centuries. And if you're not one of the gangsters running one of the eight segments of Moscow then you wish you were. Awarding a country with such a low base of behaviour a prestigious tournament was ridiculous I thought.

The Swiss institute that you speak of will do very little, as they did following the Russia v Wales playoff in the early Noughties under Mark Hughes when several Russians were caught taking performance enhancing drugs which cost us our qualification. They got something like a 25k fine, and were allowed to proceed to the European Championships. Completely laughable. The Russians will do what they like. Why would they change when major sporting organisations do not ostracize them and continue to award them with such prestige?

It's a big like this sort of parenting...

"Now then naughty boy. That was really bad, stealing from that shop and smashing the window. Don't do it again or you'll be in big trouble. By the way yes you can have a Playstation 4, a sound system and a brand new bike for Christmas, and we'll be going to Lapland for Christmas".

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Joking aside why on earth did we let any Russians take place ? ? ?

This cannot come as a surprise
    Sadly, I have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    I found it amazing they were granted the tournament. Anyone who has been to Russia will realize there s one big thing well and truly embedded into their culture: Nihilism. Principles and humanity are negligible. It is a case of "anything goes to get the result". The cheating, crookery and gangster mentality is dominant and has been for centuries. And if you're not one of the gangsters running one of the eight segments of Moscow then you wish you were. Awarding a country with such a low base of behaviour a prestigious tournament was ridiculous I thought.
    Well I watched McMafia and I think I know exactly what is going on in the former USSR, thanks.

The only surprise really was that the banker main character wasn't a curling champion.....

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Joking aside why on earth did we let any Russians take place.This cannot come as a surprise
    I have to clarify what I believe to be a fundamental misconception here. The dope-fiend Krushelnitsky was competing as part of the neutral Olympic Athletics from Russia (OAR) team. As such he was obviously drug-sponsored by a Russian government obsessed with winning medals at curling in their quest for world domination. I noticed when his partner, Anastasia Bryzgalovwas, interviewed after their hollow victory that her pupils were huge and that her sweeping arm was all of a tremble. She also had a problem pronouncing her name. I have spent a lifetime watching curling and these are tell-tale signs that curlers are 'at it'.