+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cultural Appropriation ~ a new one on me.

Cultural Appropriation ~ a new one on me.

Where will it all end...
    Cultural Appropriation.JPG

Re: Cultural Appropriation ~ a new one on me.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Where will it all end...
    It is getting ridiculous now. People are just permanently outraged these days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    It is getting ridiculous now. People are just permanently outraged these days.
    That's outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    That's outrageous.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    That's just rude.

She's quite cute to be fair

Irrespective of whether it's right or wrong I think white blokes with dreads look fecking stupid , very few white people have the hair texture needed to grow dreads , they just look like middle class crusty students

The scene in the inbetweeners 2 film where will takes the piss out of the white dreads boy who lives with his parents in Surrey and is only on a years break travelling before coming back to work in the city of London is fecking hilarious

They didnt say anything to Bo Dereck
    all those years ago, she was a better looker by the way.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bo...ntQlCI8I9cSBM:

What about people with curly hair that straighten it? I think that should be banned too - outrageous!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a8219911.html

I agree with this cultural appropriation thing.From now on I would like to see black people stop wearing clothes and go back to grass skirts and wear a small bone pierced through their nose.

I'm going to stop singing Three Little Birds just in case I get caught singing 'every little ting' instead of 'thing'

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    They didnt say anything to Bo Dereck
    all those years ago, she was a better looker by the way.
    She was indeed a looker, but she couldn't act, even if her life depended on it.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Where will it all end...
    Presumably this was white people being offended on behalf of black people.

Snowflakes who go out of their way to find something to be offended about.

I don't personally see anything wrong with this - but then it isn't my culture being appropriated so then I wouldn't I suppose.

If people do object to it and find it offensive then there's no harm in them speaking up, but it doesn't mean people have to stop having that kind of haircut - we would never do anything if we couldn't offend anyone.

If enough people agree though, and having that kind of haircut becomes culturally unacceptable then I guess it will stop, but we haven't reached that stage.

Some things already just look or feel wrong to the vast majority - the UKIP Calypso for instance. I defy anyone to listen to that without their cringe gland going into overload.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Why do you presume that?
    Seems like you are going out of your way to be offended by snowflakes going out of their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Why do you presume that?
    Seems like you are going out of your way to be offended by snowflakes going out of their way.
    Seems like you're going out of your way to be offended by people getting offended by snowflakes going out of their way

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Why do you presume that?
    I'd put a hell of a lot of money on this being accurate. Some people aren't happy unless their offended by something entirely innocuous on behalf of other people.

One of the best things that people from around the world have to offer each other is their culture. Living in Japan, I occasionally see Westerns adorning Kimonos here and no-one complains. Japanese people actually find it gratifying for the most part (as far as I'm aware), and yet if someone were to do it in a Western country, some SJW would whine and cry about it and claim it to be some form of bigoted racist attack. Absolute madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Seems like you're going out of your way to be offended by people getting offended by snowflakes going out of their way
    seems like....

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    I'd put a hell of a lot of money on this being accurate. Some people aren't happy unless their offended by something entirely innocuous on behalf of other people.

One of the best things that people from around the world have to offer each other is their culture. Living in Japan, I occasionally see Westerns adorning Kimonos here and no-one complains. Japanese people actually find it gratifying for the most part (as far as I'm aware), and yet if someone were to do it in a Western country, some SJW would whine and cry about it and claim it to be some form of bigoted racist attack. Absolute madness.
    2 people's twitter handles are quoted in the independant article as being critical of the look, but by no means hysterical about it.
    One is dark skinned and the other doesn't have any pictures up.

What we get now is outlets reporting on what is being said on twitter. Its the issue with the need for 24 hour news.

Its not the world going mad, its just that people spout rubbish on the internet, it would be like Walesonlne constantly reporting the rubbish spouted on here (as if that would ever happen).

We live in strange times and it’s an ever perpetual circle of people being offended by people being by people being offended etc etc etc .
    People basically believe write shite on social media and then it gets multiplied.
    An example of this today I’ve viewed is one of my duller aqaintamces sharing a picture of a bacon sandwich beiciae Facebook has removed it for being offensive.
    It’s come from a ‘proud to be English page
    Ironically the person sharing it is of mixed race from the Docks who’s not the slightest bit English.
    When did people become so thick?

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    We live in strange times and it’s an ever perpetual circle of people being offended by people being by people being offended etc etc etc .
    People basically believe write shite on social media and then it gets multiplied.
    An example of this today I’ve viewed is one of my duller aqaintamces sharing a picture of a bacon sandwich beiciae Facebook has removed it for being offensive.
    It’s come from a ‘proud to be English page
    Ironically the person sharing it is of mixed race from the Docks who’s not the slightest bit English.
    When did people become so thick?
    Not a day goes by on this message board where someone is posting about a story which is sourced by social media.

The thing is social media is targeted, it will reflect your world view, if a page you like suggest that pictures of bacon sandwiches are banned off social media then they eat it up. The fact that its nonsense doesn't occur to them.

I think the idea of offence is over rated by many, the ease and access of social media is that many people will post throw away comments, that do not reflect the true view, the media report it because it is easy and generates clicks.

On the one hand we are expected to mix. Be a wonderful melting-pot of multiculturalism. You eat my bacon butty, and I'll wear your hijab. I'll wear your English morris dancing kit, and you can siarad Cymraeg a bit. Then another bunch of nutters spring up this term - cultural appropriation. Wonders never cease.

They can't decide what they want. Create a new exception, a new special interest group, a new whinge. Gives them something to shout. Best thing is to ignore all these nutters and just get on with your life. It's all irrelevant noise from a bunch of screamers.

Does cultural appropriation only count in clothing or hairstyle?
    Seeing Elytillidie's avatar of The Clash it got me wondering if they would have been accused of the same thing back in the day.
    They fully embraced reggae and later on the burgeoning hip-hop scene in New York.
    do white boys make reggae records anymore? UB40 dont count.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    What we get now is outlets reporting on what is being said on twitter. Its the issue with the need for 24 hour news.

Its not the world going mad, its just that people spout rubbish on the internet, it would be like Walesonlne constantly reporting the rubbish spouted on here (as if that would ever happen).
    Spot on, usually the papers find 1 or 2 tweets about it and use it to justify “people are talking about” and idiots get taken in by it.

As far as I’m concerned most cultural appropriation isn’t a problem with anyone.

I remember it started because people were wearing bindis as a fashion accessory which I can see why people who were religious were using something special frivolously but even then there wasn’t a real fuss.