+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cultural Appropriation ~ a new one on me.

Re: Cultural Appropriation ~ a new one on me.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Not a day goes by on this message board where someone is posting about a story which is sourced by social media.

The thing is social media is targeted, it will reflect your world view, if a page you like suggest that pictures of bacon sandwiches are banned off social media then they eat it up. The fact that its nonsense doesn't occur to them.

I think the idea of offence is over rated by many, the ease and access of social media is that many people will post throw away comments, that do not reflect the true view, the media report it because it is easy and generates clicks.
    The story may have originated on social media, but it made the papers, which then makes it an issue. Cultural Appropriation is not just somebody putting the twit in Twitter though...
    https://www.newstatesman.com/culture...-appropriation

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ouched-a-nerve

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Does cultural appropriation only count in clothing or hairstyle?
    Seeing Elytillidie's avatar of The Clash it got me wondering if they would have been accused of the same thing back in the day.
    They fully embraced reggae and later on the burgeoning hip-hop scene in New York.
    do white boys make reggae records anymore? UB40 dont count.
    Exactly. Cultural appropriation is nothing new. Elvis sang "negro spiritual" songs.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    The story may have originated on social media, but it made the papers, which then makes it an issue. Cultural Appropriation is not just somebody putting the twit in Twitter though...
    https://www.newstatesman.com/culture...-appropriation

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ouched-a-nerve
    Why does something making the papers make it an issue. They print any old rubbish in the attempt to gain clicks and sell advertising.

As we are seeing people from a certain generation love posting these articles, accompanied by "the worlds gone mad".

Next we’ll only be able to listen to music by artists of our own particular race

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a8219911.html

I agree with this cultural appropriation thing.From now on I would like to see black people stop wearing clothes and go back to grass skirts and wear a small bone pierced through their nose.
    Blimey, this one slipped through the net.

Why does something making the papers make it an issue. They print any old rubbish in the attempt to gain clicks and sell advertising.

As we are seeing people from a certain generation love posting these articles, accompanied by "the worlds gone mad".
    This non-issue was brought to my attention whilst reading through the news online. Seems it made several national papers and was thus presumably read by millions of people. I then checked the net to see if it was an actual issue, or just some social media storm in a teacup, When I found the articles in The New Statesman and The Guardian, two respected publications, I mistakenly thought that if it's not an issue, it's in danger of becoming one. I don't class myself as one of the offended, the non-offended, or the offended by those who get offended, and certainly didn't mean to cause offence.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    This non-issue was brought to my attention whilst reading through the news online. Seems it made several national papers and was thus presumably read by millions of people. I then checked the net to see if it was an actual issue, or just some social media storm in a teacup, When I found the articles in The New Statesman and The Guardian, two respected publications, I mistakenly thought that if it's not an issue, it's in danger of becoming one. I don't class myself as one of the offended, the non-offended, or the offended by those who get offended, and certainly didn't mean to cause offence.
    the other 2 articles were from 2015 and 2016.

The daily mail have printed this because a) they can print pictures of the little mix girls wearing very little clothing (clicks) b) little mix fans will read it, and become outraged because little mix can do what they like (clicks) c) the 'worlds gone mad' brigade love it and will post it on football message boards (clicks).

Lets be honest its the first time i've been involved in a debate about the hairstyles of little mix on this site.

I think some don't realise quite how desperate newspapers are to keep updating with new 'stories' throughout the day and keep the hitrate up.

This forms a good deal of the news nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Next we’ll only be able to listen to music by artists of our own particular race
    Most of it is nonsense. But I must admit I am amazed that Ali Campbell got away with singing in a fake Jamaican accent without anyone calling him out on it.

the other 2 articles were from 2015 and 2016.

The daily mail have printed this because a) they can print pictures of the little mix girls wearing very little clothing (clicks) b) little mix fans will read it, and become outraged because little mix can do what they like (clicks) c) the 'worlds gone mad' brigade love it and will post it on football message boards (clicks).

Lets be honest its the first time i've been involved in a debate about the hairstyles of little mix on this site.
    A debate is an intellectual process of elimination, a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition, or is that an argument. Glad you never slagged off Little Mix, that would have been crossing the line, one of my grandaughtes used to love them.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think some don't realise quite how desperate newspapers are to keep updating with new 'stories' throughout the day and keep the hitrate up.

This forms a good deal of the news nowadays.
    They are desperate for any readership and clickbait nonsense that inspires the morons who comment on anything “PC” is what they’re mainly looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    They are desperate for any readership and clickbait nonsense that inspires the morons who comment on anything “PC” is what they’re mainly looking for.

It usually gets posted on here to with - “what’s this world coming too” as a thread title.

At least the alt-shite have moved to oocc or whatever it’s called.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    PR stunt - to get them in the headlines
    ^This

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    "The 26-year-old musician revealed her new look on Monday night ..."

As a musician, I take grave offence at this appropriation of job titles!

It's all her fault ...

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Why do you presume that?
    Seems like you are going out of your way to be offended by snowflakes going out of their way.
    going out of one's way is better than taking a short cut!!!!!