+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coleman weaving his magic at Sunderland

Coleman weaving his magic at Sunderland

See they lost again last night

Feel quite sorry for the bloke but he's made his bed , he's got to take the pressure now

Re: Coleman weaving his magic at Sunderland

That was a very strange career move. Love to hear his reasons for taking that job.

He just went for the pay off surely. Few million in the bank but career over. Strange move.

He views Russell Slade as an example to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    That was a very strange career move. Love to hear his reasons for taking that job.
    He jumped much too quickly. If he had waited 3-4 weeks he would have walked into the job down west.

Just think, they could be bottom now, 10 points from safety 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    He jumped much too quickly. If he had waited 3-4 weeks he would have walked into the job down west.

Just think, they could be bottom now, 10 points from safety 🙂
    Or West Brom

I've been going on their forum quite a bit as it is from what I can see, easily the most active football forum around. Pretty depressing reading.

Look at their starting 11, it is diabolical.

Then you hear stories like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42704081

and on their forum they are saying hes been seen out partying, not playing, taking in 60 grand week

If Coleman leaves now I think itd be idiocy. He needs to stay and build them again

Quote Originally Posted by BuyingManCityTickets View Post
    I've been going on their forum quite a bit as it is from what I can see, easily the most active football forum around. Pretty depressing reading.

Look at their starting 11, it is diabolical.

Then you hear stories like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42704081

and on their forum they are saying hes been seen out partying, not playing, taking in 60 grand week

If Coleman leaves now I think itd be idiocy. He needs to stay and build them again
    We think we've had problems!
    Makes Malky's signing of Cornelius look like a shrewd piece of business.

Yes, strange decision by Coleman but I don't think his career will be over. There are many mitigating factors that he can cite following his impending failure.

Think he chose poorly, that club is rotten to the core and it’s going to take a miricle to sort them out.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    We think we've had problems!
    Makes Malky's signing of Cornelius look like a shrewd piece of business.

Yes, strange decision by Coleman but I don't think his career will be over. There are many mitigating factors that he can cite following his impending failure.
    Yep, it's mad. I know he is important to them but lee cattermole is over 40 grand a week or something

Rodwell is rarely on social media and I think there is a reason for that!.

If they go down I dont know if theyd be trouble financially.

His current position at Wales gave him popularity, being supported by an excellent No.2, with young players he held influence over, and always having the useful cover of being the underdog team's manager. He also had a system already in place; The Welsh Way. The system was already in place and so transition was little more than adding to it and having good people skills. If Wales succeeded he was a hero. If it were close failure he could walk away saying he did a good job. He faced rejection at the start but in time he got there.

Sunderland was an odd choice. A long ball team, threatened with relegation, not a huge amount of money to spend and immediate short term pressures. He would be expected to change the style and therefore sign the players required to play that style. Yet, who would want to sign for Sunderland in the position they're in that would match that quality? This isn’t post-hoc reasoning. These were the facts available to him at the time.

What went wrong? Did he have too much faith in his ability to undertake such a wholesale change, in a short time frame, and with little money? Or did he just see the short term cash incentive? I am inclined to think it was the first reason: the overrated faith in his own ability, forgetting that much of his success with Wales was down to Osian Roberts, and having the players in place to play for a well rehearsed system with which they were already familiar. I cannot see how it was the second reason (the money grab), because he is still a fairly young guy, with presumably further ambitions in club management. He must have been shrewd enough to realise that the high risk event of being relegated out of the Championship would do untold damage to the CV he has built up quite nicely over the years, and therefore potential further earnings. If he doesn’t have further ambitions in club management, as presumably he is sufficiently wealthy, then maybe the money-grab justified his decision.

For a good parallel of Coleman, you should compare with De Boer at Palace. Similar circumstances, similar demands. Too much to change in too short a space of time. Same outcome. Either failure, or lack of support from the backer inevitably resulting in his downfall.

Not surprised whatsoever that it's not going according to plan for him there. That squad was on the brink of relegation for a few years and the best thing they could do would be to have a complete clear out and start again.

Coleman did well with Wales when given time to implement a system that suited our players. That's time he simply doesn't have with a Sunderland team that looks bereft of confidence and interest.

They were the poorest side I’ve seen this season by some distance, absolutely doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post

Just think, they could be bottom now, 10 points from safety ��
    he never wanted the jack job because if he failed he wouldnt be able to take the flack from the fans being a local boy

Or a big club willing to massively improve his wages where he probably in truth has a free hit. The club is rotten at present, fans may slowly turn on him but I'm sure most will know it goes far deeper.

Go down, rebuild with a few key players and some youngsters.

If it doesn't work he gets paid off and can still fall back on Welsh success and the fact SAFC is a disaster.

While I agree Osian Roberts has done a superb job as Director of Football and hopefully will continue in that role,he was not Coleman’s No 2! That was his mate Kit Simons who is now his No 2 at Sunderland and was at Fulham.