+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: NBA:MLB:NHL:NFL

NBA:MLB:NHL:NFL

Which of the 4 major North American sports do you enjoy the most and which one(s) can’t you stand.

Why?

Re: NBA:MLB:NHL:NFL

Football, Baseball.

Not fussed on hockey (too messy), not interested in basketball (too much scoring - not enough strategy).

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Football, Baseball.

Not fussed on hockey (too messy), not interested in basketball (too much scoring - not enough strategy).
    My preference has shifted over time

Initially I ranked them Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, Football probably as Hockey is such a big deal in Canada and you can’t join in with a whole category of conversations if you’re not clued up - it’s social currency.

Now it’s hard to split Baseball and Football (I think I understand baseball strategy a bit better so maybe that gives it an edge). Hockey 3rd and then Basketball, but I truly enjoy all 4 and think that Hockey and Basketball are highly skilled... although I also totally get your messy and high points observations,

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    My preference has shifted over time

Initially I ranked them Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, Football probably as Hockey is such a big deal in Canada and you can’t join in with a whole category of conversations if you’re not clued up - it’s social currency.

Now it’s hard to split Baseball and Football (I think I understand baseball strategy a bit better so maybe that gives it an edge). Hockey 3rd and then Basketball, but I truly enjoy all 4 and think that Hockey and Basketball are highly skilled... although I also totally get your messy and high points observations,
    I think I would enjoy hockey more if they played more of a possession/finesse game. There's too much shunting it onto the opposition backboard and fighting for it there. It's like the hockey equivalent of hoofball.

I can really get into baseball at times. But I also find it easy to ignore. It's no fun when your team is in last place.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Football, Baseball.

I've been here 6 years and watched an awful lot, mostly on tv of course. In essence i agree with NYC and for the same reasons. NFL is a really good experience to watch live having much the same passion as soccer in Europe. The baseball experience is much like being a cricket supporter but has much more of a family audience, going to the game is recreation and they've done it as a family since he kids were in elementary school. And with 80+ home games each season it's easily accessible; only problem is very little passion until you get to the play-offs (again, much like cricket).

Hockey and Basketball are really well-supported by extremely partisan fans but with much smaller stadiums, neither is cheap to take in a game. Personally, I've never got excited by either sport.

What may not be appreciated by British sports fans is the way in which sports at all levels permeates everyday family and life over here. Every High School across the country has it's sports teams, well coached and attracting a lot of support from the community and family. They all have these (silly?) names like Rebels, Pirates and so on but the school itself and the communities generate huge enthusiasm and pride in the team. All the High Schools have a football stadium with seating and the girls, of course, cheerlead for the team. Merchandise at this local level is big business and it's an everyday experience to see adults going about their business and shopping in Rebels' sweatshirts. It's a clan thing. I'm sure you've all seen the High School movies, they're a fair representation of what actually happens week-on-week in every neighbourhood.

College sports are also huge; here in Minnesota the Gophers football team has a modern, 50,000 seater stadium. College football is actually good to follow and has huge media and tv coverage. The boys are more or less full-time athletes and play the game with more freedom than their professional counterparts. Less expensive, too.

Whatever, nothing matches the Bluebirds - but you have to understand it's what you're used to, what you grow up with that shapes your loyalties.

Ncaaf for me although I can watch most sports. I do find Ice hockey hard to follow however.

Don't enjoy any of them.

Dullsville.

Started watching Gridiron. Enjoy that. I watch hockey. The NHL has become a little bit dump n chase. It goes through fazes just like football. It's a game that doesn't translate to t.v that well. Watch it live and it is completely different and thoroughly enjoyable.

Hockey, baseball, basketball and A football.

Their version of football being the far worst, like a turn based shit version of rugby.

I appreciate people cream themselves over it but I just don't get it. It's not about the rules either before someone says that, I've looked into it, played madden with mates and watched a few games when I was younger, trying to find what I was missing and it just got worse.

Least when you don't know the rules you can question what the **** is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Don't enjoy any of them.

Dullsville.
    Sounds like you fall into the camp of “I’m not from there so I don’t understand or care to”, which is of course understandable.

I have the same challenges with friends here who just cannot appreciate football

My (admittedly cocky) stance is that I’ve taken the time to appreciate all sports but you guys are wrapped in your own little bubble - doesn’t go down too well, but to Cowbridges point, it’s really about where you’re from and how broad your horizons are

Many of them don’t like ‘soccer’ but think cricket is the most stupid game imaginable

NHL - Calgary Flames.

I'm not flat out into it, I just keep up to date with results etc.

Definitely hockey. Got quite into it the last few years, and went to see Toronto Maple Leafs last year. Follow them closely now and watch on tv when home on weekend nights., as they show a lot of it here. The Leafs haven't won a thing for over 50 years, so being a Cardiff fan, it seemed quite fitting. They're looking good this season though.

Definitely hockey, its the closes thing to football out of the "Big 4" and thoroughly enjoyable (for me). Basketball is a close second, college basketball is great to watch, baseball third, football fourth. John Cleese sums up American Football/Football quite well:

Can't say I really watch any.
    Waste of BT sports really as they put a bit on.

Used to love watching the Cardiff Devils.

Don't mind basketball or football tbh but I've never gone our of my way to watch either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    I've been here 6 years and watched an awful lot, mostly on tv of course. In essence i agree with NYC and for the same reasons. NFL is a really good experience to watch live having much the same passion as soccer in Europe. The baseball experience is much like being a cricket supporter but has much more of a family audience, going to the game is recreation and they've done it as a family since he kids were in elementary school. And with 80+ home games each season it's easily accessible; only problem is very little passion until you get to the play-offs (again, much like cricket).

Hockey and Basketball are really well-supported by extremely partisan fans but with much smaller stadiums, neither is cheap to take in a game. Personally, I've never got excited by either sport.

What may not be appreciated by British sports fans is the way in which sports at all levels permeates everyday family and life over here. Every High School across the country has it's sports teams, well coached and attracting a lot of support from the community and family. They all have these (silly?) names like Rebels, Pirates and so on but the school itself and the communities generate huge enthusiasm and pride in the team. All the High Schools have a football stadium with seating and the girls, of course, cheerlead for the team. Merchandise at this local level is big business and it's an everyday experience to see adults going about their business and shopping in Rebels' sweatshirts. It's a clan thing. I'm sure you've all seen the High School movies, they're a fair representation of what actually happens week-on-week in every neighbourhood.

College sports are also huge; here in Minnesota the Gophers football team has a modern, 50,000 seater stadium. College football is actually good to follow and has huge media and tv coverage. The boys are more or less full-time athletes and play the game with more freedom than their professional counterparts. Less expensive, too.

Whatever, nothing matches the Bluebirds - but you have to understand it's what you're used to, what you grow up with that shapes your loyalties.
    I didn't manage to read all that sorry, but they put it out there enough in films and tv shows to appreciate that even at high school level sports are a big deal.