+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greg Halford.

Greg Halford.

Had a bit of a stinker on his City debut in the FA Cup match with Fulham last season, but, apart from that, when has he ever let City down? For me, he always does a decent job when called upon and yet he seems to be a bit of a comic figure for some - he's not here to be a first team starter every week, but to fill in for others in a variety of positions when the need arises and last night was another example of him doing what it says on the tin so to speak.

Re: Greg Halford.

Not many better players to bring on when your trying to defend a lead.When you think of how much he cost us and the fact his salary is probably lower than most of the squad then the phrase "value for money"comes to mind.

Totally endorse those sentiments Bob. The ideal player to bring on when looking to close the game down when holding a slender lead as he has shown several times this season. A model pro as can been seen from his Twitter account he really embraces the CityAsONe ethos. I remember him doing a post match interview on ifollow after our game against Pompey in the cup, he came across so well in that interview and spoke glowingly about Pompey and their fans. A real down to earth bloke.

Agree with that. He gives us useful options right across defence and midfield. It’s almost like having an extra substitute.

It reminds me of the time when we didn’t name a substitute goalkeeper whilst Andy Legg was in the starting eleven.

Not the most technically gifted and you wouldn’t want him playing every week. But he seems to be a good pro and has always done a job when called upon.

He did well when he came on. As an aside all five defenders who played last night were over 6ft tall. Can anyone remember a back four for us of such stature?

Glad this has been posted. I see comments on Instagram etc. Gets dogs abuse. Pathetic.

Always does a job. Great squad player. Scored a decent half volley against Portsmouth in the cup too.

He looks a bit awkward and rangey at times but I thought one moment on Saturday summed the guy up. Boro crossed the ball from their right and the ball went through the area and out to their left and there were two players chasing the ball, Halford and Traore and Traore looked to have a yard on him, yet who comes out with the ball Halford.

100% agree Bob,he's a part of a group of players who have got us into an unbelievable position at this stage of the season, particularly considering the ridiculous amout of injuries we continue to have. Neil trusts him and i dont recall him letting us down.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Had a bit of a stinker on his City debut in the FA Cup match with Fulham last season, but, apart from that, when has he ever let City down? For me, he always does a decent job when called upon and yet he seems to be a bit of a comic figure for some - he's not here to be a first team starter every week, but to fill in for others in a variety of positions when the need arises and last night was another example of him doing what it says on the tin so to speak.
    in your analysis you have forgotten one minor detail - some city fans are morons and know little of football

Good positive thread. Solid pro and provides good cover.

Agree with all the positive comments on Halford. He has been an excellent addition to the squad. A 6 out of 10 player who won’t let anyone down.

The same applies to Feeney this season. He’s not as versatile as Halford but has also been solid and reliable in almost every appearance. I wasn’t enthused when he signed but I was wrong and Warnock (as usual) was right.

Can't say I've really noticed Halford, good or bad, in the few games I've seen him which I suppose has to be a good thing for a player of his type.

The Fulham game Bob mentions nobody covered themselves in glory so we would have to call that his joker.

Glad to hear people more ITK than me give positive reaction to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Not the most technically gifted and you wouldn’t want him playing every week. But he seems to be a good pro and has always done a job when called upon.
    For me if he'd have come on for Wolves or Leeds last night they would have won as they both conceded late on from a position that Halford would have closed down.He is well worth his position in the squad.

He was signed as a bit part player and has done his job well when called upon. A good signing and doesn’t deserve the criticism he has come in for.

Great Halford love in.

He isn't a very good football player , I would rather not see him playing in our side at any time.

He is a mistake waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Totally endorse those sentiments Bob. The ideal player to bring on when looking to close the game down when holding a slender lead as he has shown several times this season. A model pro as can been seen from his Twitter account he really embraces the CityAsONe ethos. I remember him doing a post match interview on ifollow after our game against Pompey in the cup, he came across so well in that interview and spoke glowingly about Pompey and their fans. A real down to earth bloke.
    Roy Keane hates him which means Halford's probably a really nice guy

He isn't the most technically gifted, but he knows that and does what's required, I like him

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes I agree with that and he did well last night, plus I reckon that he'd also make a pretty good medium pace seam bowler, which could come in handy.....

'British Steel' is still his finest moment though.

jesus Christ these threads....why do you all slag off the good players the moment they make a slight mistake (I'm thinking manga bamba mainly) and yet these league 1 maybe 2 players get hailed as GODS

He’s just a bit slow and languid and not easy on the eye.

He’s never going to set the world alight but if Warnock trusts him, I trust him.

I cant help thinking if Ipswich had nicked it yesterday Halford may have had a thread of his own for different reasons.

Lets face it we cant have an extended run of games with Halford and Connolly at full back.

Halford has played a big chunk of his career st a decent level for successful clubs, Sheff Utd, Forest, Pompey, Birmingham, Brighton, Wolves, Sunderland etc..

He's a better player than most give him credit for.

450 league appearances and 45 goals, mostly in defensive roles and mostly in the Championship or above.

Some of the comments about him are truly ignorant.

He's not a flair player, but like a lot of our squad and players who we've loved he's a worker, organiser, leader and winner

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Halford has played a big chunk of his career st a decent level for successful clubs, Sheff Utd, Forest, Pompey, Birmingham, Brighton, Wolves, Sunderland etc..

He's a better player than most give him credit for.

450 league appearances and 45 goals, mostly in defensive roles and mostly in the Championship or above.

Some of the comments about him are truly ignorant.

He's not a flair player, but like a lot of our squad and players who we've loved he's a worker, organiser, leader and winner
    Agreed.

Not a flamboyant player by any stretch of the imagination but we have a few of them already.
    Does a job for us when called upon.