+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Autographs

Autographs

As a kid I used to wait near the players entrance before and after games collecting autographs.

My first was Freddie Pethard.

My favourites were on New Years Day 1977 when I got Bobby Moore’s and Robin Friday’s although George Best who was my hero refused.

Anyone else do the same?
    Last edited by StraightOuttaCanton; 23-02-18 at 15:30. Reason: Adding

Re: Autographs

Don't mention autographs to Steve R, John Buchanan told him to fack off when he asked for his

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Don't mention autographs to Steve R, John Buchanan told him to fack off when he asked for his
    😂

The motorcyclist Bill Boston told me to f-off when I asked for an autograph when I was a kid and Joe Mercer, who was acting as England team manager in caretaker role, told me to piss off at a rainy Ninian Park when they played Wales. His multi-coloured umbrella was impressive though

Has anybody else been told to 'get stuffed' while asking for autographs 😂

I got Dick Emery's autograph in 1977 on a flight from Australia. He was really miserable.

Got loads of others, when I was in my teens I lived near Gary (Basil) Stevens and he often got autographed programmes for me, the one I recall was when we played Man City in 82 (FA Cup), which I dont think he even played in.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    As a kid I used to wait near the players entrance before and after games collecting autographs.

My favourites were on New Years Day 1977 when I got Bobby Moore’s and Robin Friday’s although George Best who was my hero refused.

Anyone else do the same?
    Did George Best play that day? I was at that game, but I didn't think he played.

I got Bobby Moore, Gordon Banks, Ray Kennedy and Paul Reanies autographs from going to Barry Butlins as a kid.

But my prize possession is Timmy Mallets. Met him in Malaga airport in 1987. Wackaday, Wackaday, Wackaday....

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I got Bobby Moore, Gordon Banks, Ray Kennedy and Paul Reanies autographs from going to Barry Butlins as a kid.

But my prize possession is Timmy Mallets. Met him in Malaga airport in 1987. Wackaday, Wackaday, Wackaday....
    I remember Sir Timothy of Mallet getting dogs abuse at ninian park during half time once. Loved him on a saturday morning as a kid lol

I was never one for autograph hunting to be honest, but after the cup final defeat I took my youngest down the bay the following day and asked Pursey to sign my boys programme. He was happy to do so with a smile and a bit of banter , made my boys day.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post

Anyone else do the same?
    Freddie Pethard what a name and player , you've made my night recalling that name , you just don't get those names now , like Freddie and Derek Showers , halcyon days .

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    I was never one for autograph hunting to be honest, but after the cup final defeat I took my youngest down the bay the following day and asked Pursey to sign my boys programme. He was happy to do so with a smile and a bit of banter , made my boys day.
    Darren always had time for the fans, top bloke.

Agreed mate, My youngest was only12 at the time ant the 2 trips to wembley went over his head a bit. I think he enjoyed the couple of hours down the bay more at the time. He now treasures his bits and bobs from that time and Pursy made his day.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Did George Best play that day? I was at that game, but I didn't think he played.
    I’m not sure he played either as I’m sure I’d have remembered.

You’ve got me thinking though that maybe he was at Fulham for 2 visits to Ninian Park and my memory might have blurred the 2 (but if it was only once then he was definitely there that day)

I asked for his autograph as he was boarding the team bus and he brushed past me (I was totally gutted)

Robin Friday also scored 2 that day if I remember

Darren Purse is truly a special guy. I’ve got a great friend who’s son (our godson)is disabled but a truly passionate Bluebird (along with his Mum and Dad). Darren made at least one trip to their family home to spend time with them all. The photos are special. Top man