+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gestede out for rest of season...

Gestede out for rest of season...

...broken ankle late in Boro's game v Hull

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43170623

shame I liked Gestede - a blow for the player and his club

Re: Gestede out for rest of season...

Nice lad, superb athlete, but for me just doesn't seem to know what he's doing on the pitch.

Wasn’t there against us, was he? Or did I get a glimpse of his head poking out of Morrison’s back pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Nice lad, superb athlete, but for me just doesn't seem to know what he's doing on the pitch.
    Blackburn stint showed give him the service in the box, he can score goals. I just think he's one of those players who has had a number of clubs not looking to olay a style where he'd thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Blackburn stint showed give him the service in the box, he can score goals. I just think he's one of those players who has had a number of clubs not looking to olay a style where he'd thrive.
    A striker who can score when it's put on a plate for him.

He's shown elsewhere that his season at Blackburn was a one off

A striker who can score when it's put on a plate for him.

He's shown elsewhere that his season at Blackburn was a one off
    2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons though, so wasn't a one off.

Required to play different roles though at Villa and Boro though. They want a striker to do more, hold ball up, passing game etc. Put him in a side getting the ball into the box, he scores goals - pretty good in the air.

It would be like signing Joey Barton in his prime and asking him to play in the number 10 role with silky one touch passing. Nope, he's a play it simple, hack 'em down kinda player.

2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons though, so wasn't a one off.

Required to play different roles though at Villa and Boro though. They want a striker to do more, hold ball up, passing game etc. Put him in a side getting the ball into the box, he scores goals - pretty good in the air.

It would be like signing Joey Barton in his prime and asking him to play in the number 10 role with silky one touch passing. Nope, he's a play it simple, hack 'em down kinda player.
    I had the fortune to do a day at the training ground behind the scenes - Gestede was having one on one training on his touch. It was absolutely awful. Whenever I've seen him play since I've watched out for it and it is still a problem for him.

He also wins a lot of headers but has no idea where he's heading it.
    He did it again last week, tried to do a clearing header and just knocked it 5 yards sideways straight to a City player

Think he only got 12 goals in 31 league games 13/14 and 20 the season after, which has pretty good to be fair. So pushing it at 2 good seasons I reckon. 😉

Even then I wouldn't say that was prolific if we compare it with the output of other strikers at Blackburn.

I'd take Madine, Zohore or Danny Ward over him

First blackburn season, 13 in 27 league games. Second season 20 league goals in 39 games. Looking at those stats, we'd have killed to have any striker capable of that goals to game record, you'd have to go back to Chopra.

I'd take Madine over him, sure. I'd take Zohore over him, sure. Ward? Sure. The point is, he'd struggle in our side because we don't play to his strengths. Blackburn was perfect for him because they were getting the crosses into the box. Yes, touch is poor but when service there a goal every two games at this level isn't to be sniffed at.

He's not the greatest, not the worst, would be a poor fit for us at the moment.

First blackburn season, 13 in 27 league games. Second season 20 league goals in 39 games. Looking at those stats, we'd have killed to have any striker capable of that goals to game record, you'd have to go back to Chopra.

I'd take Madine over him, sure. I'd take Zohore over him, sure. Ward? Sure. The point is, he'd struggle in our side because we don't play to his strengths. Blackburn was perfect for him because they were getting the crosses into the box. Yes, touch is poor but when service there a goal every two games at this level isn't to be sniffed at.

He's not the greatest, not the worst, would be a poor fit for us at the moment.
    Fair point.
    👍

I'd added on the games he played for us in that first season.

Each to their own

Fair point.
    ��

I'd added on the games he played for us in that first season.

Each to their own
    Agreed. I'm not championing us buying him. Just pointing out like with all players, put a round peg in a round hole, that player plays better. Blackburn obviously worked out a good system for him whereas others ( ourselves included ) didn't.

He's no Madine