+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 'Cardiffians have no civic pride'

'Cardiffians have no civic pride'

According to a caller on the Rob Phillips phone in, and is the reason why our crowds, and that of other sporting organisation in the City.
    Now this is something I have argued on here before.
    Rebrand, Toshack etc are red herrings. Cardiff is not a City where it's population on the whole takes great pride in. Will never change.

Re: 'Cardiffians have no civic pride'

I don't think that's right at all.

Most Cardiffians I know love the city and are only too willing to wax lyrical about its virtues to anyone who will listen.

There are a lot of people who have moved here for work from elsewhere in wales, England and even further afield, coupled with a fairly large student population, and they might love the city, but have pre-existing sporting affiliations that prevent them from going to matches here.

Our crowds are about what you would expect for a club who has spent a sum total of 16 seasons in the top division, the vast majority of which were in the 1920s and 1950s, and spent long enough in the basement divisions for a generation of supporters to have turned elsewhere.

You can't expect our recent decade or so of relative success to make up for the 20 years of crap that came before it.

I'm a Cardiff lad who moved away many years ago. I am very proud of my roots, and yes I speak to many people who think Cardiff is a top city.
    Obviously we are generalising but that pride is nothing compared to when I talk to a Liverpudlian or Londoner for example.

We do not have this magic catchment area folk bark on about ,and its not cheap anymore, folk find it tough, lets bloody move on