+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After 34 games - a look at seasons gone by

After 34 games - a look at seasons gone by

All of my post is based on looking back at the last 20 Championship seasons.

69 points from 34 games is an impressive feat. It's one point less than we had in our Championship winning season. Every side that has had 69 points or more at this point in the season over the last 2 decades has won automatic promotion. The highest number of points a team has had after 34 games and failed to win promotion is 66, achieved by Ipswich in 2004/05. Bolton failed to win automatic promotion in 2000/01 after winning 66 points at this stage but they comfortably won the playoffs. Derby in 2014/15 are the highest profile chokers, winning 65 points after 34 games but mustered only another 12, finishing in 8th.

Of the 20 sides in second place at this point in the season, only Sheffield United in 2005/06 and Brighton last season have better records than ours. Similarly, Villa's 65 points in 3rd is amongst the best record for a team in 3rd at this point in the season. Our lead over Villa of 4 points is the 5th largest lead that second has held over third in 20 years. Only 1 second placed team with a 3 point lead or more over the team in third place has failed to finish above them at the end of the season - Dave Jones' Wolves side which collapsed in 2001/02 (from this point in the season they won another 3 games to give themselves a 10 point lead over 3rd).

In terms of catching Wolves, no league leaders with a 6 or more point gap at this stage in the season has been caught.

Our 4 point lead over Villa obviously gives us a game in hand (while that gap remains). It means that Villa have to average 0.33 points a game more than us between now and the end of the season. While that might not sound a lot, it means that, in effect, if we averaged 2 points over the last 12 games of the season they need 2.33 points a game. This has only been achieved once in 20 years by a team chasing the top 2 (Sunderland in 2004/05 when they went on that silly run). Only 6 teams in 3rd have caught the top two, only one of those from as far back as Villa are currently. Teams in 3rd have been more likely to fall down the table than climb it.

If Villa averaged 2 points a game for the rest of the season, which statistically at least is roughly what we could expect, we'd need 21 points from 12 games. 6 wins and avoiding defeat at Villa would probably just about do it. For Derby or Fulham to overtake us, it would require a colossal collapse.

Re: After 34 games - a look at seasons gone by

We got 67 points

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    We got 67 points
    Ouch

We got 67 points
    Typo. I'd put Villa as having 65 for some bonkers reason. The rest of the post barely changes. We're in very good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Typo. I'd put Villa as having 65 for some bonkers reason. The rest of the post barely changes. We're in very good shape.
    Quite right, playing well and deserving to win. None of this has been down to luck.

Thank goodness for that. After all that excellent research. Thankyou Eric.

Thanks Eric

So looking at the last decade, 26 wins has only not been enough for promotion once. 27 has always been enough.

Winning 6 out of the remaining 12 doesn't sound too scary!

We got 67 points

Quote Originally Posted by Ger27 View Post
    So looking at the last decade, 26 wins has only not been enough for promotion once. 27 has always been enough.

Winning 6 out of the remaining 12 doesn't sound too scary!
    I think it'll take a collapse or an incredible run from another team for us to miss out.

Just stole this off wolves forum...

Our February ppg is = 1.6
    January = 1.75
    December = 2.33
    November = 3

We need to maintain at least a 1.5 ppg

Would be interesting to see these stats for promotion contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

January = 1.75
    December = 2.33
    November = 3

Cardiff's all season is this:
    Month Points Games PPG
    February 16 6 2.67
    January 4 3 1.33
    December 7 6 1.17
    November 9 4 2.25
    October 7 4 1.75
    September 9 6 1.5
    August 15 5 3
    Total 67 34 1.97

If we say we need 88 points to go up, we need 7 wins from our last 12. Or, 1.75 PPG.

Our worst 12 game run of the season (including our 4 straight defeats), is 18 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Month Points Games PPG
    February 16 6 2.67
    January 4 3 1.33
    December 7 6 1.17
    November 9 4 2.25
    October 7 4 1.75
    September 9 6 1.5
    August 15 5 3
    Total 67 34 1.97

If we say we need 88 points to go up, we need 7 wins from our last 12. Or, 1.75 PPG.

Our worst 12 game run of the season (including our 4 straight defeats), is 18 points.
    Thanks for that

January = 1.75
    December = 2.33
    November = 3

Looks like their Jonny Foreigners don't like the winter, just as I predicted. It's not just the games, it's the training too, and the gloomy weather.

Month Points Games PPG
    February 16 6 2.67
    January 4 3 1.33
    December 7 6 1.17
    November 9 4 2.25
    October 7 4 1.75
    September 9 6 1.5
    August 15 5 3
    Total 67 34 1.97

Wasn't December our Amsterdam month? The wheels nearly fell off there!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Looks like their Jonny Foreigners don't like the winter, just as I predicted. It's not just the games, it's the training too, and the gloomy weather.
    I dunno... I personally class November and December as winter too. Didn't do too shabby then.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Wasn't December our Amsterdam month? The wheels nearly fell off there!
    I'm beginning to wonder what really happened there.

All of my post is based on looking back at the last 20 Championship seasons.

69 points from 34 games is an impressive feat. It's one point less than we had in our Championship winning season. Every side that has had 69 points or more at this point in the season over the last 2 decades has won automatic promotion. The highest number of points a team has had after 34 games and failed to win promotion is 66, achieved by Ipswich in 2004/05. Bolton failed to win automatic promotion in 2000/01 after winning 66 points at this stage but they comfortably won the playoffs. Derby in 2014/15 are the highest profile chokers, winning 65 points after 34 games but mustered only another 12, finishing in 8th.

Of the 20 sides in second place at this point in the season, only Sheffield United in 2005/06 and Brighton last season have better records than ours. Similarly, Villa's 65 points in 3rd is amongst the best record for a team in 3rd at this point in the season. Our lead over Villa of 4 points is the 5th largest lead that second has held over third in 20 years. Only 1 second placed team with a 3 point lead or more over the team in third place has failed to finish above them at the end of the season - Dave Jones' Wolves side which collapsed in 2001/02 (from this point in the season they won another 3 games to give themselves a 10 point lead over 3rd).

In terms of catching Wolves, no league leaders with a 6 or more point gap at this stage in the season has been caught.

Our 4 point lead over Villa obviously gives us a game in hand (while that gap remains). It means that Villa have to average 0.33 points a game more than us between now and the end of the season. While that might not sound a lot, it means that, in effect, if we averaged 2 points over the last 12 games of the season they need 2.33 points a game. This has only been achieved once in 20 years by a team chasing the top 2 (Sunderland in 2004/05 when they went on that silly run). Only 6 teams in 3rd have caught the top two, only one of those from as far back as Villa are currently. Teams in 3rd have been more likely to fall down the table than climb it.

If Villa averaged 2 points a game for the rest of the season, which statistically at least is roughly what we could expect, we'd need 21 points from 12 games. 6 wins and avoiding defeat at Villa would probably just about do it. For Derby or Fulham to overtake us, it would require a colossal collapse.
    A nice piece, well put together. Quite enjoyed that. I think we will get that second spot and agree that Wolves have bagged it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder what really happened there.
    I'm not. Morrison got injured and Zohore wasn't fully fit. Add to that nobody in midfield could tackle and you get the perfect storm.

I'm not. Morrison got injured and Zohore wasn't fully fit. Add to that nobody in midfield could tackle and you get the perfect storm.
    Was said tongue in cheek. I agree our injury list caught up with us over the Xmas period.
    Mind you, if I went to Amsterdam with a bunch of guys I am not sure I would ever be the same again!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Was said tongue in cheek. I agree our injury list caught up with us over the Xmas period.
    Mind you, if I went to Amsterdam with a bunch of guys I am not sure I would ever be the same again!
    I'll write it off as a fluke. That being said I wouldn't recommend they went on the razz again until May!

I had another look on the prediction for the remaining games and have us finishing on 92 points originally I had 88 so we're ahead of that now

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I had another look on the prediction for the remaining games and have us finishing on 92 points originally I had 88 so we're ahead of that now
    That on BBC?

As someone else mentioned, even our worst run of 12 games we got 18 points.

That on BBC?

As someone else mentioned, even our worst run of 12 games we got 18 points.
    No I just do it myself, I had a look on BBC website and can't find it

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    No I just do it myself, I had a look on BBC website and can't find it
    Just looked as well, have the PL and then that tinpot leave no **** cares about.

Strange.