+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SNOW WATCH

Re: SNOW WATCH

1963 - no running water on our estate in Tredegar for a month.

Every drop had to be carried from a stand pipe in the street. Like a remake of the Sorcerer's
    Apprentice day after day. No buses , walking to school and back - 2 miles each way. School milk frozen solid
    and one bath a week up my Nan's which was lower down so not frozen.

However we built real igloos and went sledging down steep paths which were like the Cresta run.

No central heating , just one coal fire. Ice on the inside of the bedroom windows.

Off to bed with a hot water bottle and pressed down by several blankets and an eiderdown.

Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Lottery win?
    All done on the cheap, m'lud. Very cheap!

All Cardiff Bus services stopped at 6pm. And there are no night buses.

So stay in and have a few beers. The long weekend starts now

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    1963 - no running water on our estate in Tredegar for a month.

Every drop had to be carried from a stand pipe in the street. Like a remake of the Sorcerer's
    Apprentice day after day. No buses , walking to school and back - 2 miles each way. School milk frozen solid
    and one bath a week up my Nan's which was lower down so not frozen.

However we built real igloos and went sledging down steep paths which were like the Cresta run.

No central heating , just one coal fire. Ice on the inside of the bedroom windows.

Off to bed with a hot water bottle and pressed down by several blankets and an eiderdown.

Happy days.
    We were a little more fortunate :

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lRAAA...w~-/s-l300.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    What a huge fuss about nothing, hardly any snow in Cardiff, just windy

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    All done on the cheap, m'lud. Very cheap!
    Very good

Few flurries in Merthyr but nothing too bad. Windy and cold but not the red alert that was predicted. Only live a mile from the office so I’ll be in tomorrow wether I can drive or not but i don’t mind driving in the snow. It’s the idiots who decide to drive in the snow and drive at a snails pace that are the problem. If you’re going to drive then you’ve got to commit.

Be careful out there people.

M4 Junc 32 (Coryton) and A48 Heath area seeing vehicles abandoned.

Other routes in Cardiff (link rd) at a standstill as the weather makes it almost impossible to move around.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I won't link the Python sketch but the winter of 1962-1963 was almost tropical compared to that of 1947. People were made of stronger stuff due to global conflict and post-war austerity. Back then men were real men and most women looked like men. Scotsmen throughout Scotland but mostly in Glasgow refused to wriggle into underpants and continued to stoically wear their kilts and sunglasses in what were subarctic temperatures. Granted, they were pissed out of their heads and many froze to death but before they conked-out none complained about wee 30 foot snowfalls as you shamelessly have.
    My mum says there was more snow in 1947, but it was colder and lasted longer in 1963.

About a foot high so far in Ebbw Vale
    Wondering what it'll be look come the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Few flurries in Merthyr but nothing too bad. Windy and cold but not the red alert that was predicted. Only live a mile from the office so I’ll be in tomorrow wether I can drive or not but i don’t mind driving in the snow. It’s the idiots who decide to drive in the snow and drive at a snails pace that are the problem. If you’re going to drive then you’ve got to commit.
    That's the spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Moomin View Post
    About a foot high so far in Ebbw Vale
    Wondering what it'll be look come the morning!
    Hopefully a few feet more so the the snow can hide what a shithole Ebbw Vale is. Nice swimming pool though.

I live up a big hill, side streets have got a foot of snow here, main roads are walkable mind, **** walking downhill early tomorrow or late at night as that compact snow will be ****ing murder.

Went to the shop earlier seen cars coming up the hill in zig zags then sliding back down. Idiots. Hill is pretty steep and goes a while

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    I used to work at sea with a bloke from Three Arches Avenue, name was Simon Arch and he used to frequent the Three Arches. Was a bit of a quiz addict too, especially sport. You may have known him Enoch. Heard he passed away last Summer. Was quite a character was Archie. R.I.P Archie.
    Spedger
    Sorry to hear Archie passed away, great fella. He was a big Blue & Black supporter. I think he played skittles in the 3 Arches, with his dad Tommy.

I live up a big hill, side streets have got a foot of snow here, main roads are walkable mind, **** walking downhill early tomorrow or late at night as that compact snow will be ****ing murder.

Went to the shop earlier seen cars coming up the hill in zig zags then sliding back down. Idiots. Hill is pretty steep and goes a while
    You got to commit. No point driving up hill in first gear.

You got to commit. No point driving up hill in first gear.
    Few years ago I left work early and got off the train went straight to the pub with about 50 others.. left the pub at night after a good 10 hours there and cars were basically abandoned from the train station and well up passed my house further up..

I'm committed to a few days in the house now.

Few years ago I left work early and got off the train went straight to the pub with about 50 others.. left the pub at night after a good 10 hours there and cars were basically abandoned from the train station and well up passed my house further up..

I'm committed to a few days in the house now.
    Work shy mate. I’ve had several Belgian beers but I’ll be there at 8am tomorrow even if I have to walk the half hour to work. Prob drive though being as no other **** will be on the road.

Work shy mate. I’ve had several Belgian beers but I’ll be there at 8am tomorrow even if I have to walk the half hour to work. Prob drive though being as no other **** will be on the road.
    Still could be over the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby_The_Bhoy View Post
    Still could be over the limit.
    No pigs on the road at that time. Not in this weather.

You crack on fella, I've got my feet up till Monday night

Knee deep this morning here in St Mellons...

...and it's snowing again.

not knee deep in rumney but nothing getting through the roads here but snowing again
    was far worse in 1982

i could work from home all the time !

if you could work from home would you lot have the discipline to do ?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    not knee deep in rumney but nothing getting through the roads here but snowing again
    was far worse in 1982

If i could fit what I needed to here yes.

I'd do more if I was able to switch off and flick between work and having a mini break around the house, I find it hard to concentrate for 8-12 hours in an environment where I need to always look busy, even if sometimes I'm sat at a computer, being able to wander off and distract myself and come back would help my productivity.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    was far worse in 1982

Yes, I worked from home for nine years before I took redundancy and surprised myself by how disciplined I was - I was given a slightly bigger annual target to achieve and was consistently able to hit, or better, it. Working from home isn't for everyone, but, based on my experience, quite a few who think they are not cut out for it wouldn't find it that much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, I worked from home for nine years before I took redundancy and surprised myself by how disciplined I was - I was given a slightly bigger annual target to achieve and was consistently able to hit, or better, it. Working from home isn't for everyone, but, based on my experience, quite a few who think they are not cut out for it wouldn't find it that much of a problem.

How did you do it? I’m working from home today bur get so easily distracted (like right now 😃)