+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usually by this stage of the season

Usually by this stage of the season

If we were doing well, this message board would be declaring the league "the worst standard it has been in years" and saying that we really should be getting promoted as we wouldn't get another opportunity like this again.
    I don't think I've seen that at all this year, but it was a regular occurrence during the DJ years and probably malkys promotion too.

Why do you think that is?

Re: Usually by this stage of the season

Cos the league isn't poor this season

highly competitive this year ,and hey, we have some self interest

In all seriousness this season would be a far bigger acheivement than when we did it with Malky or if we had done it with Dave Jones.

Back in those days we were regarded as one of the big spenders of the division and the money floating around was nothing compared to the figures being spent now.

Wolves, Villa, Derby, Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday, Boro, Hull, Sunderland, Birmingham, Leeds, Norwich have all assembled squads using money we can only dream of at present yet we have defied the odds and challenged with a budget squad.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    In all seriousness this season would be a far bigger acheivement than when we did it with Malky or if we had done it with Dave Jones.

Back in those days we were regarded as one of the big spenders of the division and the money floating around was nothing compared to the figures being spent now.

Wolves, Villa, Derby, Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday, Boro, Hull, Sunderland, Birmingham, Leeds, Norwich have all assembled squads using money we can only dream of at present yet we have defied the odds and challenged with a budget squad.
    It shouldn't have anything to do with it, but I wonder if the relative success of Brighton and Huddersfield has given the Championship a bit more respect?

Also, Cardiff have just loaned out a player that cost 2m to Forest, a striker who cost £700k to Peterborough (both signed this season!), whilst spending £6m on another striker and taking an expensive loan deal on Grujic. The inference that Cardiff are not big spenders is wrong. However, on comparison to Mackay's promotion team, and Dave Jones' final hurdle fallers - Warnock's achievements are superior if Cardiff do go up. Long way to go yet though. Also, I think Cardiff will find life even more difficult than their one previous PL stint because Warnock's tactics will flounder in the money league - that's if Cardiff get there. Which, in my opinion, they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    It shouldn't have anything to do with it, but I wonder if the relative success of Brighton and Huddersfield has given the Championship a bit more respect?

Also, Cardiff have just loaned out a player that cost 2m to Forest, a striker who cost £700k to Peterborough (both signed this season!), whilst spending £6m on another striker and taking an expensive loan deal on Grujic. The inference that Cardiff are not big spenders is wrong. However, on comparison to Mackay's promotion team, and Dave Jones' final hurdle fallers - Warnock's achievements are superior if Cardiff do go up. Long way to go yet though. Also, I think Cardiff will find life even more difficult than their one previous PL stint because Warnock's tactics will flounder in the money league - that's if Cardiff get there. Which, in my opinion, they won't.
    It's all relative though and Madine has only just come and has played two games or so. I'm sure we wouldn't have signed him if we weren't where we were in January.

700k is peanuts when you compare it to the money spent on Kodjia, Hogan, Neves, etc.

It's all relative though and Madine has only just come and has played two games or so. I'm sure we wouldn't have signed him if we weren't where we were in January.

700k is peanuts when you compare it to the money spent on Kodjia, Hogan, Neves, etc.
    It's also a lot of money compared to what Burton have spent. Warnock has easily spent £10m this season, let's not dress this up as something it isn't. And, back to topic, the Championship has earned respect this season because of how the promoted sides are doing, how Championship sides have performed in the cups, and because of how sides relegated from the EPL have struggled.

I think theres a realisation on how tough this league is.

Already seen posts about our certain relegation. IF we are to go up and its a big IF as I also feel we will fall short we are far from relegation certainties. We will be in a mini league with about 12 others.

I still dont think our wider fan base see us as promotion chasers and if we come up short it will be expected. The Dave Jones side and the Malky one had either expensive or big name signings which boosted attendances as we were seen as going for it.

Its probably teams like Villa Derby Fulham saying how poor the league is because Cardiff are 2nd.

In fact ive seen that comment on a Sunderland site today. Someone there thinks their squad is as good as ours.

Whatever happens its been a great season. Even if we do stay in the Champiomship.Warnock must be happy to sign a 2 year deal so id say theres a plan up to 2020 at least.

It's also a lot of money compared to what Burton have spent. Warnock has easily spent £10m this season, let's not dress this up as something it isn't. And, back to topic, the Championship has earned respect this season because of how the promoted sides are doing, how Championship sides have performed in the cups, and because of how sides relegated from the EPL have struggled.
    Burton are not second!
    That is like saying to West Ham if they were 2nd in the premier league "aaaaah but you've spent more than Huddersfield!"

When total operating budget is considered i.e. wages, fees etc we'll probably be in the top 10 at least.

Spencer prior cost 700k.

BIS hates Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Spencer prior cost 700k.

BIS hates Cardiff.
    Yes he is a sad Redmoaner who can't grasp the fact we've been playing in
    Blue again for quite a while now.I hated red , never wore it but knew we'd be back
    in Blue eventually. Even TLG watches matches again from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    When total operating budget is considered i.e. wages, fees etc we'll probably be in the top 10 at least.
    That's not the point though. We have spent so much less than the teams who were fancied that it's incredible that we are 2nd.

I imagine that 3/4 of Villa's players are on more than our whole squad wage wise

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Yes he is a sad Redmoaner who can't grasp the fact we've been playing in
    Blue again for quite a while now.I hated red , never wore it but knew we'd be back
    in Blue eventually. Even TLG watches matches again from time to time.
    Time to let it go I think

That's not the point though. We have spent so much less than the teams who were fancied that it's incredible that we are 2nd.

I imagine that 3/4 of Villa's players are on more than our whole squad wage wise
    A huge chunk of that money will be wasted wages.
    Older ex premier league players who aren't playing but they can't move on

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    A huge chunk of that money will be wasted wages.
    Older ex premier league players who aren't playing but they can't move on
    Theyve thrown the cash big time on promotion. The JT signing shows that.

Burton are not second!
    That is like saying to West Ham if they were 2nd in the premier league "aaaaah but you've spent more than Huddersfield!"
    We are somewhere in the middle.

Warnocks net spend in the summer was less than £2m. Madine was I'd guess a gamble as we were on the verge of getting in the play offs.

I could name a dozen sides who've spent more than us, a handful who haven't and a handful who I don't know.

Either way, Warnock's achievements so far are superb

International

So Mr ITK, how much did this loan deal cost? And show us the proof.
    Clopp wanted him playing tough first team football to man him up for the future. So what makes you so sure he cost a fortune?
    Like a lot of your other statements, it's conjecture dressed as fact in the hope someone will run with it. Say it often enough and its true, a fault seen on here a lot in the past.

Of course produce the proof and I'll bow to your insider knowledge.

10 mill? There's no way we paid 6 mill for madine so where do you get that figure from?

Burton are not second!
    Oh, so we are just going to compare Cardiff with clubs who have spent more, and ignore the clubs who spend less? Convenient.

Cardiff have spent close to £10m this season, and probably would have spent more - that is a far cry from the situation you portrayed.

Oh, so we are just going to compare Cardiff with clubs who have spent more, and ignore the clubs who spend less? Convenient.

Cardiff have spent close to £10m this season, and probably would have spent more - that is a far cry from the situation you portrayed.
    Anyone who doesn’t think City are having an amazing season when considering the money they’ve spent either has an agenda or has no idea what they’re talking about.

Of course some teams have spent less than them, but what does that matter when teams they’re competing with in the table have all spent much more and have much higher wage bills.

The context of the question said "If we were doing well......"
    Now I answered that the probable reason people would say this is because we were amongst the big hitters in the days of Malky and Dave Jones, however this season there have been teams who have spent a he'll of a lot more than us and are below us, therefore very few people are saying it's a weak championship etc.

I would be very disappointed if we finished below Burton, Bolton, Barnsley but on the flipside I didn't necessarily expect us to be above Villa, Derby, Boro etc at this time of the season and to be sitting in 2nd place. Why is that so hard for you to understand??

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Like a lot of your other statements, it's conjecture dressed as fact in the hope someone will run with it. Say it often enough and its true, a fault seen on here a lot in the past.
    Warnock says that, if Grujic doesn't play, Cardiff pay more. That's expensive because Warnock is in a position of knowing his club will be penalised if Grujic doesn't play, thereby compromising Warnock's position to pick his best team. My understanding is that Grujic has not been impressing.

The other fact that I came up with on this thread is that Cardiff have spent close to £10m this season - you also seem to miss that, conveniently, as you try to claim Cardiff are punching above their weight. Perhaps Cardiff didn't turn down £18m for Zohore either? Cardiff are, financially, well backed - do you agree or disagree?

Even you don't agree with the stuff you're spouting

Are you Jursett in disguise?