+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bristol - has the derby atmosphere fizzled out

Bristol - has the derby atmosphere fizzled out

21000 on the game and a reasonably good but not really hostile atmosphere last weekend.

Hate to say it but Swansea will only ever be our real rivals for some time to come.

Re: Bristol - has the derby atmosphere fizzled out

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    21000 on the game and a reasonably good but not really hostile atmosphere last weekend.

Hate to say it but Swansea will only ever be our real rivals for some time to come.
    I remember the playoff semi against them in 2003 and the "Fight, fight, wherever you may be" chant was deafening. Not any more. Add to the fact that all bar one of our home attendances against them have been roughly the same as the average attendance of the season, and we might as well face up to the fact that Bristol City are no longer the rivals they once were. Rivals, yes, but it's lost its edge completely.

The atmosphere at the stadium is poor. I can't quite get the Canton stand, they stand up to watch the game, which indicates to me a bit of a nod back to the old days of terracing, it's where the younger fans go, yet they don't seem to generate a great deal of noise. The spontaneity has gone out of watching football, back in the day, there would have been a sizeable walk up for a game against Bristol City, it would have been considered an occasion for a fair few thousand fans, they would be able to pay on the day and stand with their mates, those days are gone, and because of the rising costs and the contrived order of being a football fan, the atmosphere has suffered. It sometimes feels like i'm watching a concert, not a football match. We used to have some great songs as well, that 'when I was young' song sounds like a funeral march, it's ****ing awful.

Whilst I would not disagree completely with points made, one has to remember it was 12 o'clock on a Sunday.

It's hard for the youngsters to sing, what with those "punch-me" scarfs stuck in their mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The atmosphere at the stadium is poor. I can't quite get the Canton stand, they stand up to watch the game, which indicates to me a bit of a nod back to the old days of terracing, it's where the younger fans go, yet they don't seem to generate a great deal of noise. The spontaneity has gone out of watching football, back in the day, there would have been a sizeable walk up for a game against Bristol City, it would have been considered an occasion for a fair few thousand fans, they would be able to pay on the day and stand with their mates, those days are gone, and because of the rising costs and the contrived order of being a football fan, the atmosphere has suffered. It sometimes feels like i'm watching a concert, not a football match. We used to have some great songs as well, that 'when I was young' song sounds like a funeral march, it's ****ing awful.

The atmosphere was better when there was a chance that there was gonna be a war outside the ground. Sad maybe but true.

Where do you sit in the ground? The only noise generated is from the Canton

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    The atmosphere was better when there was a chance that there was gonna be a war outside the ground. Sad maybe but true.
    Nail and head.

People would go in A Block in the Grandstand or in the Grange end to be as close to away fans as possible.

Without that.. we simply won't get chants all game.

There's seems to be a deliberate attempt by some on here to play down the Bristol City rivalry. Well, I don't care if I'm in a minority of one on this, my mood has been brightened considerably this week because we beat the football team I despise more than any other om Sunday - didn't think that atmosphere was bad either. In saying that, whether they bring 1,500 or 4,000, the wurzels never make much noise - their City rivals put them to shame nine years ago when we played them in the League Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Nail and head.

People would go in A Block in the Grandstand or in the Grange end to be as close to away fans as possible.

Without that.. we simply won't get chants all game.
    There are some who still want to be as close to the away fans as possible - never hear any noise from them though.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There's seems to be a deliberate attempt by some on here to play down the Bristol City rivalry. Well, I don't care if I'm in a minority of one on this, my mood has been brightened considerably this week because we beat the football team I despise more than any other om Sunday - didn't think that atmosphere was bad either. In saying that, whether they bring 1,500 or 4,000, the wurzels never make much noise - their City rivals put them to shame nine years ago when we played them in the League Cup.
    It always amuses me when fans talks of despising other clubs. The vast majority of fans supporting any clubs cannot be characterised by the idiots and we would all be Bristol City (or perhaps Bristol Rivers fans) if we were born in a bed a little further east. And as for 'We hate the West Country' it's funny how so many of you come down to this beautiful part of the world on holiday. All juvenile stuff, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I recall the last time we played the jacks at ninian, also an early Sunday k o, terrible atmosphere. You just can’t get it going so early. Put it in constraint to night games or when we beat them twice at ccs, no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It always amuses me when fans talks of despising other clubs. The vast majority of fans supporting any clubs cannot be characterised by the idiots and we would all be Bristol City (or perhaps Bristol Rivers fans) if we were born in a bed a little further east. And as for 'We hate the West Country' it's funny how so many of you come down to this beautiful part of the world on holiday. All juvenile stuff, of course.
    People go on holiday to bedminster!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Maybe, but in my case, opinions formed in my teenage years still apply - I really don't like that club and yet I've a soft spot for Bristol Rovers who strike me as being a "proper" football club in the best meaning of that term.

Footballs finished as far as atmospheres go. All seater stadiums and mobile phones put paid to that. Now instead of giving a rival player dogs abuse whenever they get near, too many sitting down taking pics on their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Footballs finished as far as atmospheres go. All seater stadiums and mobile phones put paid to that. Now instead of giving a rival player dogs abuse whenever they get near, too many sitting down taking pics on their phones.
    They should play matches in the concourses at half time. For some reason fans sing dance and act boisterous there, before returning to their seats and sitting with fingers on lips.

Maybe, but in my case, opinions formed in my teenage years still apply - I really don't like that club and yet I've a soft spot for Bristol Rovers who strike me as being a "proper" football club in the best meaning of that term.
    I can remember going to the old Eastville ground for a night game, on a steam train.

I must have been about 8 or 9.

I've always hated rovers as well. I've heard a few people lately say the same thing as you, but never when we played them regularly.

Bang on for me too. I get huge pleasure from their displeasure and so I've been spoilt rotten for well over a decade in that regard

I obviously enjoy beating Swansea if we play them, but they don't register for me otherwise

I'm in my early 40s, so this is not an old timer type thing either where some fans would watch City one week, Swansea the next / cheer their scores at HT etc

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    They should play matches in the concourses at half time. For some reason fans sing dance and act boisterous there, before returning to their seats and sitting with fingers on lips.
    Singing all game in the family stand is a non starter. Even in the canton if a single person starts off a chant it dies down rather quickly.. you need a good group together.

My main purpose of turning up is to have eyes on the pitch.

Their fans were miles better than ours lets be honest

The atmosphere at the stadium is poor. I can't quite get the Canton stand, they stand up to watch the game, which indicates to me a bit of a nod back to the old days of terracing, it's where the younger fans go, yet they don't seem to generate a great deal of noise.
    The stadium isn't the problem, look at the Wales games. The atmosphere can be electric. It's us.

On the topic of beating the Wurzels, I'm still very, very happy about it. I bloody hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by BuyingManCityTickets View Post
    Their fans were miles better than ours lets be honest
    You try too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    You try too hard.
    Anyone who says otherwise was sitting in the canton stand and not getting a clear representation.

They sang more and were louder. I was sitting centrally, I am not lying. It was clear as day as well

The atmosphere was overall poor I think because it was arctic and the kick off time. Never been colder in fact

Quote Originally Posted by BuyingManCityTickets View Post
    Anyone who says otherwise was sitting in the canton stand and not getting a clear representation.

They sang more and were louder. I was sitting centrally, I am not lying. It was clear as day as well

The atmosphere was overall poor I think because it was arctic and the kick off time. Never been colder in fact
    They hardly sang, we hardly sang. Put your rod away and stop fishing.