+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bristol - has the derby atmosphere fizzled out

Re: Bristol - has the derby atmosphere fizzled out

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They hardly sang, we hardly sang. Put your rod away and stop fishing.
    Oh really on a thread about the atmosphere I am fishing.

I dont give a ****, goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    I've always hated rovers as well. I've heard a few people lately say the same thing as you, but never when we played them regularly.
    I can only speak for myself, but there's always a huge difference between playing City and Rovers for me and I say that as someone who had a fraught time of it getting into Eastville to spend ninety minutes dodging the mixture of concrete, stones and coins that were being thrown at us by Rovers fans at the match where Jeff Hemmerman suffered his career ending injury in 1983.

The Canton Stand do make a noise and try to generate an atmosphere.
    It just doesnt spread around the ground. The Ninian is completely dead.No section there make any noise whatsoever including those by the away fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BuyingManCityTickets View Post
    Anyone who says otherwise was sitting in the canton stand and not getting a clear representation.

They sang more and were louder. I was sitting centrally, I am not lying. It was clear as day as well

The atmosphere was overall poor I think because it was arctic and the kick off time. Never been colder in fact
    Sat in the family stand.

They sang the odd song.

Canton sang the odd song.

You are crap at fishing.

The atmosphere at the last two games have been great, its bit difficult balancing a midday, sober day of rest, reduced and necessary alcohol consumption , and the love of god .

Feedback

I've always hated rovers as well. I've heard a few people lately say the same thing as you, but never when we played them regularly.
    Some people don't sing because they are busy stuffing their faces

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    Some people don't sing because they are busy stuffing their faces
    Or leaving their seats 16 times a game

It would help if the Ninian actually generated some noise...

It was 12, on a Sunday, in freezing cold weather. The atmosphere was decent considering that, and anyone who thinks there isn't a derby or its "dead" have pretty short memories, last season's game against Bristol City had a great atmosphere

I think Bristol City and Cardiff City have a lot in common. They both seem to belong in the Championship and both reside in cities that have a maritime history and have plenty to offer the visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think Bristol City and Cardiff City have a lot in common. They both seem to belong in the Championship and both reside in cities that have a maritime history and have plenty to offer the visitor.
    And both built on the back of things that are black.

With us it was coal, with them it was slaves!

And both built on the back of things that are black.

With us it was coal, with them it was slaves!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There's seems to be a deliberate attempt by some on here to play down the Bristol City rivalry. Well, I don't care if I'm in a minority of one on this, my mood has been brightened considerably this week because we beat the football team I despise more than any other om Sunday - didn't think that atmosphere was bad either. In saying that, whether they bring 1,500 or 4,000, the wurzels never make much noise - their City rivals put them to shame nine years ago when we played them in the League Cup.
    It's definitely an age thing. The older you are, the more likely that you'll see Bristol City as our biggest rivals and nothing will shift that. I reckon that, for newer fans, Swansea are going to be our main rivals rather than the Wurzels, which isn't going to do anything to intensify the rivalry between us and Bristol City. It will always be a rivalry, but not as intense as the one with the Jacks.

Sorry if you think I'm deliberately playing down the rivalry between us and Bristol City, I'm not. I'm looking at it objectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's definitely an age thing. The older you are, the more likely that you'll see Bristol City as our biggest rivals and nothing will shift that. I reckon that, for newer fans, Swansea are going to be our main rivals rather than the Wurzels, which isn't going to do anything to intensify the rivalry between us and Bristol City. It will always be a rivalry, but not as intense as the one with the Jacks.

Sorry if you think I'm deliberately playing down the rivalry between us and Bristol City, I'm not. I'm looking at it objectively.
    I started supporting Cardiff is 89 and it's definitely the Jack's for me

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I started supporting Cardiff is 89 and it's definitely the Jack's for me

I started supporting City in about 1958/1959, our fiends (yes), down the road were Abertawe Town then and they are still Abertawe Townnow.

As for Shitfull Shitty, it needs to be demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

It is an age thing, but I'm not sure City fans older than me will feel I do because, at 62, I think I represent the upper age limit of the grouping who share my opinion about the wurzels and the jacks when it comes to rivalry.

I saw my first City game in October 1963. Swansea weren't relegated until 64/65, so they played down here in the league a couple of times after my first visit to Ninian Park, but, for whatever reason, I did not go to either match. Therefore, I didn't get to see us play the jacks in a league game for almost seventeen years after my first City game - Swansea were a side we only ever played, and usually beat, in the Welsh Cup while I was growing up. On the other hand, I make it that I had watched us play the wurzels in the league twelve times before I saw my first Swansea league derby. I daresay if I was ten years older or twenty years younger I would have Swansea down as our main rivals like most others - I'm a product of my time though and when you also consider that I went thirty one years without seeing us beat them in any contest that mattered, I always get at least as much satisfaction out of a win over the wurzels as I do from one over the jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It is an age thing, but I'm not sure City fans older than me will feel I do because, at 62, I think I represent the upper age limit of the grouping who share my opinion about the wurzels and the jacks when it comes to rivalry.

I saw my first City game in October 1963. Swansea weren't relegated until 64/65, so they played down here in the league a couple of times after my first visit to Ninian Park, but, for whatever reason, I did not go to either match. Therefore, I didn't get to see us play the jacks in a league game for almost seventeen years after my first City game - Swansea were a side we only ever played, and usually beat, in the Welsh Cup while I was growing up. On the other hand, I make it that I had watched us play the wurzels in the league twelve times before I saw my first Swansea league derby. I daresay if I was ten years older or twenty years younger I would have Swansea down as our main rivals like most others - I'm a product of my time though and when you also consider that I went thirty one years without seeing us beat them in any contest that mattered, I always get at least as much satisfaction out of a win over the wurzels as I do from one over the jacks.

One of the worst games to remember against Abertawe Town, was a Welsh cup game at Ninian Park.

City were cruising at 3-0 and I think about 60/70 minutes had gone.

Don Murray gets involved in a fight, ref sends him off and frigging Abertawe end up scoring 3 to make it 3-3 at the final whistle.

Extra time, Abertawe Town go on to win 3-5. GUTTED as a young supporter

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    One of the worst games to remember against Abertawe Town, was a Welsh cup game at Ninian Park.

City were cruising at 3-0 and I think about 60/70 minutes had gone.

Don Murray gets involved in a fight, ref sends him off and frigging Abertawe end up scoring 3 to make it 3-3 at the final whistle.

Extra time, Abertawe Town go on to win 3-5. GUTTED as a young supporter
    Don nutted Jimmy Mclaughlin 👍

First Team

Bristol will always be the derby match for me.
    Swansea for pretty much irrelevant during my footballing youth as they were mainly division 4 re election fodder and therefore matches were few and far between.
    Bristol City and ourselves were pretty matched matched in our mediocrity over the same period so that was good enough to establish a rivalry for me.
    To make matters even worse once a month we lost the Big Match on a Sunday afternoon and were forced to watch a whole hour of the buggers on HTV.
    For that alone they need to pay!

Of course the atmosphere has fizzled out. You're older. We all are. The club has grown and become more family orientated. If you want the Leeds atmosphere, expect the reputation that goes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Of course the atmosphere has fizzled out. You're older. We all are. The club has grown and become more family orientated. If you want the Leeds atmosphere, expect the reputation that goes with it.
    Does anyone know about a shift in the age demographic of the crowd over the years?