+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bellamy rules himself out of Oxford job

Bellamy rules himself out of Oxford job

Re: Bellamy rules himself out of Oxford job

Good news for us, but Bellamy would appear to have decided that he is now at a stage where he wants to make the step up into management and I don't think it'll be long before he finds a job if that is the case.

I thought he might do this, when they announced that there was a shortlist of 4.

Not saying he is right/wrong, but he's not the type to pi$$ about.

If Bellamy had realised there was competition for the job he probably would not have bothered to apply.
    Perhaps he sees it as a snub the fact he has competition as they've moved the goalposts on the selection process.

If someone head hunts you in your job, you give your employers notice and then find you are up against four others for the one job, you would understandably be a bit peeved.

Perhaps his position with the City could be weakened as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    If Bellamy had realised there was competition for the job he probably would not have bothered to apply.
    Perhaps he sees it as a snub the fact he has competition as they've moved the goalposts on the selection process.

If someone head hunts you in your job, you give your employers notice and then find you are up against four others for the one job, you would understandably be a bit peeved.

Perhaps his position with the City could be weakened as a result.
    I sincerely doubt his position here will be affected. Warnock has been his biggest cheerleader, the club will understand he's not going to want to be a youth coach forever.

I am glad he has turned this one down. I think with some patience, and a better calculation of the club owner, his opportunity will come. It's only a matter of time for Craig. I would love to think he can watch Warnock at work and really take in his approach of paying attention to the psychological make up of a player, then take what he has learned from his licences, his experiences of success in the game and retain his fiery character. With all of that in his locker, I believe he has all the makeup of an excellent coach. I would love to think that if Warnock retires he will be ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    I am glad he has turned this one down. I think with some patience, and a better calculation of the club owner, his opportunity will come. It's only a matter of time for Craig. I would love to think he can watch Warnock at work and really take in his approach of paying attention to the psychological make up of a player, then take what he has learned from his licences, his experiences of success in the game and retain his fiery character. With all of that in his locker, I believe he has all the makeup of an excellent coach. I would love to think that if Warnock retires he will be ours.
    Can I ask what issue you have with Oxford? I know an Oxford fan and he has no qualms with the ownership, they have a very good record of identifying talented players (ie Ledson, Roofe, Johnson) and have a bit of cash behind them. On the face of it, they seem a well run League One club, with the potential to grow and a bit of cash behind them. Obviously that may change with the new ownership but I don't see any glaring issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I sincerely doubt his position here will be affected. Warnock has been his biggest cheerleader, the club will understand he's not going to want to be a youth coach forever.
    You are probably right thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Can I ask what issue you have with Oxford? I know an Oxford fan and he has no qualms with the ownership, they have a very good record of identifying talented players (ie Ledson, Roofe, Johnson) and have a bit of cash behind them. On the face of it, they seem a well run League One club, with the potential to grow and a bit of cash behind them. Obviously that may change with the new ownership but I don't see any glaring issues.
    I don't have a strong anti-Oxford view at all. Don't get me wrong, if he is a brilliant manager he should be able to turn a weak team around, and turn an average one into a good one. In that sense Oxford is in a position for him to give them boost up the league. It wouldn't be a poor decision, but I think he could get a better chance elsewhere.

I am coming from the angle that despite all that I think of Craig as a potentially great manager he is only that. Potential. Many managerial careers, especially young ones, can build or fall quickly based on the club they select. From my point of view, although they have a wealthy owner, and have seemed sensibly run, I would not want to risk my managerial career on that particular club as my first gig. The risks to me are that I don't know enough about the owner, even if he is rich that does not mean a willingness to spend what is needed, and I don't think that Oxford will be attractive enough to sign the players he needs. That is just my view. The picture is not clear enough for me, and therefore too risky.

I think if he sits and waits, better opportunities will present themselves, and he is rich enough and young enough to bide his time and wait patiently.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Good news for us, but Bellamy would appear to have decided that he is now at a stage where he wants to make the step up into management and I don't think it'll be long before he finds a job if that is the case.
    Good news for us until NW leaves*

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-14352145

Craig Bellamy has revealed he'd agreed terms to take charge as Oxford United manager only for the deal to fall through at the eleventh hour.

It was revealed by Cardiff City CEO and executive director Ken Choo on Wednesday that Bellamy would remain in his role as the Bluebirds' Player Development manager after coming close to getting his big break in management.

And the Cardiff City legend, speaking on the Sky Sports debate , spoke about how the deal stalled and what his future now holds.

Bellamy admitted he'd held productive talks with former owner Oxford Darryl Eales, only for a change in the club's hierarchy to scupper his chances of landing the League One job.

"I was approached for the job, they asked to speak to me, so I went and spoke to them and we had a number of meetings," he said.

"They're good people, they want to push the club forward and we fitted each other really well. We agreed terms and I was really looking forward to it, to be honest.

"But at the 11th hour they got taken over by a new owner.

"I had the opportunity to go and meet the new owner and discussions with him were different to the other owners."

New Us owner Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth, who took over the club last week, is yet to appoint a permanent successor to Pep Clotet.

But Bellamy - while still looking for his first managerial job - admitted he was happy to remain at his boyhood club Cardiff in a role he continues to relish under Neil Warnock.

Despite the fact he missed out on the Wales job to former international teammate Ryan Giggs, Bellamy is relaxed about his future.

"To be honest, I'm already in a position in Cardiff working day to day, which I'm loving," said the former Wales and Liverpool forward, who added that he doesn't mind which league he enters as a manager.

"It wasn't fair on myself, Cardiff, or even Oxford to wait another week and I thought it was right to pull out.

"Being a footballer for a number of years, I know nothing is guaranteed in football.

"Oxford are a very good team and a very well run football term. I'd started to warm to the supporters and players and whoever goes in is going into a good environment.

"I'm not experienced enough to deal with different owners, that's why it took a while for me and Darryl to come to an agreement. To go through that process with a new owner would have taken another couple of weeks and the club don't need that.

"It wouldn't have been right to do that.

"For the time being I'm really happy where I am (at Cardiff). I want to go into management but it has to be right.

"If I get it wrong, I might not be able to come back from it. I'm in no rush. I don't care where it is, conference, League One, League Two or Championship."