+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: SNOW - What is the law ?

SNOW - What is the law ?

Are people liable for any injury etc. if they move any snow from the pavement etc, outside their home.?
    Not that it`s happened to me , but is it the case you have to wait for the council to treat it? Because that never happens, they just leave it.

Re: SNOW - What is the law ?

You would be adjudged to have moved the snow out of your own volition, therefore any accidents would be your responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    You would be adjudged to have moved the snow out of your own volition, therefore any accidents would be your responsibility.
    Thanks for that, so does it follow if somebody falls on a pavement of uncleared snow the relevant council is responsible?

It’s all daily express style bullshit - There is no way on earth you are going to be sued if you clear snow in a sensible manner, ie not throwing water on the pavement etc.
    Plus there is no way that you are ever going to be able to sue the council if you fall on snow or ice. They can’t move every square inch of the stuff can they.

This doesn't answer your question but someone on Radio 4 a few months ago (and it may have been one of their foreign correspondents) said of the United States that the situation with snow over there epitomises their attitude to charity and governmental responsibility: they clean their own paths and that of their neighbours quite happily (and Americans supposedly contribute greatly to charities) but have little interest in paying sufficient taxes for the roads at the end of their paths to be maintained by local government.

Here you go, straight from the government

https://www.gov.uk/clear-snow-road-path-cycleway

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    This doesn't answer your question but someone on Radio 4 a few months ago (and it may have been one of their foreign correspondents) said of the United States that the situation with snow over there epitomises their attitude to charity and governmental responsibility: they clean their own paths and that of their neighbours quite happily (and Americans supposedly contribute greatly to charities) but have little interest in paying sufficient taxes for the roads at the end of their paths to be maintained by local government.
    The reason for me asking was that me and the wife cleared our path this morning and she told me to stop at the gate because of her fear of being liable etc. In Germany she tells me it is the law to clear your bit of the pavement and in Boston USA they fine you if you do not clear it. It just seems crazy that I have to stop at the gate , leaving 40cm of snow on the pavement in case of accidents etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Here you go, straight from the government

https://www.gov.uk/clear-snow-road-path-cycleway
    Thanks for that, bit worried about the unlikely to be sued though, too many ambulance chasers and money grabbers.

You can clear snow and ice from pavements yourself. It’s unlikely that you’ll be sued or held responsible if someone is injured on a path or pavement if you’ve cleared it carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    The reason for me asking was that me and the wife cleared our path this morning and she told me to stop at the gate because of her fear of being liable etc. In Germany she tells me it is the law to clear your bit of the pavement and in Boston USA they fine you if you do not clear it. It just seems crazy that I have to stop at the gate , leaving 40cm of snow on the pavement in case of accidents etc.
    Why not clear the path until it reaches Germany?

Why not clear the path until it reaches Germany?
    Yeah yeah very good, I `m more concerned about keeping it safe in Dinky Poo for my family and elderly neighbours .

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    Yeah yeah very good, I `m more concerned about keeping it safe in Dinky Poo for my family and elderly neighbours .
    Good man. I just knocked on the door of six of my neighbours to see if they wanted anything in Tesco in the middle of Taunton. The A38 through the town (akin to the A48 in Cardiff) was empty with people trudging along on it by foot. Tesco's car park was totally empty and the whole town has come to a standstill. My employers closed down at 1400 yesterday. Anyway, I trudged down to aforementioned supermarket and schlepped home with comestibles and grape-based beverages for the weekend
    Snowing again now.

TBG
    Taunton
    News at 14.34

When I started living with my current wife, we had some pretty heavy snow fall in the area of London we lived in. I cleared our front path, then went out and cleared the footpath in front of our property. She came out asked me what I was doing. I told her that when I lived in Wales, everyone would clear the section of pavement in front of their house. She replied, "Well we don't do that in London, let the council do it." Needless to say, the pavement outside our house was never clear when it snowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    When I started living with my current wife, we had some pretty heavy snow fall in the area of London we lived in. I cleared our front path, then went out and cleared the footpath in front of our property. She came out asked me what I was doing. I told her that when I lived in Wales, everyone would clear the section of pavement in front of their house. She replied, "Well we don't do that in London, let the council do it." Needless to say, the pavement outside our house was never clear when it snowed.
    When do you intend marrying the next one?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    The only thing that clears the snow from pavements nowadays is a thaw. Yuppies to the left of me Yuppies to the right here I am stuck in the middle with snow !!

I don’t really see the point in clearing the pavement. It’s safer to walk on snow than feeezing tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I don’t really see the point in clearing the pavement. It’s safer to walk on snow than feeezing tarmac.
    Your pavement is made from tarmac?

Your pavement is made from tarmac?
    It is. Lots of them are aren’t they?