+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Your views on Giggs and the future of Wales

Your views on Giggs and the future of Wales

I'm writing a piece about fans views on Giggs and their expectations for his tenure as manager on my website, so I'm looking for a few fans to answer a few questions.

Let me know if you'd like to contribute! Thanks.

Re: Your views on Giggs and the future of Wales

Quote Originally Posted by ae15 View Post
    I'm writing a piece about fans views on Giggs and their expectations for his tenure as manager on my website, so I'm looking for a few fans to answer a few questions.

Let me know if you'd like to contribute! Thanks.
    I think Giggs' tenure as manager will not be end up being so much a judgement on Ryan Giggs in isolation, but on the collective of ability of Giggs and his backroom staff. To explain that, let's give some context. Initially I thought Speed was a hasty appointment. But what became apparent with time was that Osian Roberts worked his technical magic on the training ground behind the scenes, and blending the energy of youth with senior players, he sowed the seeds of The Welsh Way. Coleman had seen more experience at Fulham and was a success there, but at Wales he had come on board and inherited the squad and what had become The Welsh Way. Osian Roberts was the constant factor behind the scenes on the training ground. Coleman tinkered the system slightly, but the the style was maintained. The key to Wales doing well recently, in my view, has been less about the figurehead and more about the continuity of the system, backed by the technical work of Osian Roberts on the training ground, plus the fact our players are bit better than they used to be, but still not a squad full of elite players. Now let's assess Giggs himself.

Strengths
    He has witnessed some of the best managers at first hand, in Louis Van Gaal and Alex Ferguson. Their methods, their people management, their tactics and technical coaching. But then again, so have many other players, and yet no former player has been able to replicate them. The value of their mentoring to Giggs is difficult to measure, and we will only know with time. I'd like to think he can soak up that knoweledge from the best, remember it, and apply it. As for his leadership style he doesn't seem to rattle people around him and that's a plus. Like Carlo Ancelotti he seems to be a quiet leader. Many don't like this but it wasn't a problem for Coleman and Speed. Players will respect his ability and knowledge as a former player. He is one of the most decorated players in Europe, with two Champions League medals and more Premier League medals than players can count. From this, he has plenty of experience to pass on the youngsters. How to condition themselves. Mental conditioning. Preparation. Knowledge of systems and positional play against European opponents. All of this is valuable stuff. But there are negatives to consider.

The negatives
    Giggs is an even higher risk appointment than Speed or Coleman, because unlike them he has not completed a full season in charge of anyone, other than caretaker manager of United for a few games. There was no pressure on that job, and being a manager is a different pressure to being a player. Can he handle it? We have no idea. The Facebook video of Giggs in his last game in charge for United, giving a presentation and speech to the United players against Southampton was a shocker. It certainly shocked me. His speech was awful. Never mind quiet, it was uncharistmatic. It was bland. It was boring. I expected a lot more. He needs to sort that out quickly because even if Osian Roberts does the grunt work around the system and tactics, he needs to give that final speech and preparation to the players. If the Facebook video standards have not improved then mark my words there will be player murmuring that will unsettle the squad. He also has clouds over his persona. People looked up to Speed and Coleman. Not many people respect Giggs as a person anymore, and what he did to his brother in my view was appalling. If people can forget this then his first few difficult months can ride on the goodwill people feel to him as a player. But if people cannot forget the way he treated his brother then I have no doubt that fan and press pressure will grant him little time to adapt if his tenure gets off on the wrong foot.

My call
    For me it is not just about Giggs himself. Yes he has obvious weaknesses, but they could be covered. If he allows Osian Roberts to continue his good work and concentrates on his own strengths by advising young players well, helping with mental preparation and being a good figurehead, then he could give valuable continuity with a sprinkle of stardust. I suspect he will have the goodwill intially and hopefully that will lead to success. Should he sideline or release Osian Roberts, tear up the system, tear up his backroom staff and think his former United boys such as the Nevilles, Butt and Scholes can replace the backroom then he is trouble from the off. They have zero credibility in terms of management and no loyalty to Wales. If this happens then Giggs' appointment has the potential to be a unmitigated disaster. So in my view, Giggs' success or failure will absolutely hinge on what he does with his backroom staff.

If Giggs had any management potential he would still be at Manchester United. The club tried their best to make it work and gave him plenty of time, but in the end they had to let him go.

Giggs was offered a position by Man United but turned it down as he wanted to be a No 1. He did almost 3 years as a No 2 under two Managers whereas Gary Speed did about a year as a No2 at Sheffield United so give one of our World Class footballers a chance. Not many wanted Hughes,Speed or Coleman so let’s hope the FAW have got it right again!

Giggs has been one of the greatest products of the Premeirship, unrivalled in many aspects.

As a manager he's treading new ground ,the Welsh job in a way could be an ideal platform, he will have respect from those currently in the squad and at youth level , however reputation and success as a player doesn't always transfer well.
    I think the key for Giggs is how he builds and uses his backroom team.

His biggest hurdles will be inexperience and the legacy of the Euros and how Bale and Ramsey react to him , if they back and deliver for him , the newer talent will then in my view flourish .

It's not about individuals, its about managing a collective spirit, and desire, ask Warnock or Giggs old boss .

If you'd like to be part of the article, private message me your answers with your name to these questions:

Who did you want to be Wales manager?
    Are you happy with Giggs's appointment?
    What sort of football do you think he is going to play?
    Assuming he sees out his four year contract, how well do you think we will do under his management in the Nations League, Euros and World Cup?
    Who would be in your 23 man squad and why?

His appointment has turned me off watching Wales. Certainly not the best man for the job, but I thought the same about Coleman and look what he did (up to 2016).

I have have been managed by former international footballers and they don't mess about, but that YouTube footage of Giggs giving a teamtalk was dire, even amateur players would laugh at him. I sincerely hope he has improved since then, cos he would have the team falling asleep before kick-off!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Giggs was offered a position by Man United but turned it down as he wanted to be a No 1. He did almost 3 years as a No 2 under two Managers whereas Gary Speed did about a year as a No2 at Sheffield United so give one of our World Class footballers a chance. Not many wanted Hughes,Speed or Coleman so let’s hope the FAW have got it right again!
    Speed was manager at Sheff Utd not a number 2.

Giggs had a token appointment at Man Utd as part of a committee for a whopping four games.

Giggs may well have wanted to be a number 1... but at a big club. He's Ryan f*cking Giggs. Why should he have to prove himself at any level but the best? I mean, look at the great managers he had. He must clearly be a great manager himself through osmosis.

Speed and Coleman at least put the effort in and took management seriously. Giggs wanted a managerial role handed to him on a plate.

would love to see giggs promote the wales national futsal side in some capacity

he's been involved involved in promoting the indian futsal pro leagues for the last 2 years so why not here ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pdL1sFJek

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

he's been involved involved in promoting the indian futsal pro leagues for the last 2 years so why not here ?

Money?

Gary Speed was in fact Manager of Division 1 Sheffield United for 4 months and Giggs Manager of Premiership Man Utd for only 4 games but 3 years as a No 2 under two different Mangers, who had more experience before getting Wales job?

Gary Speed was in fact Manager of Division 1 Sheffield United for 4 months and Giggs Manager of Premiership Man Utd for only 4 games but 3 years as a No 2 under two different Mangers, who had more experience before getting Wales job?
    Trollope has extensive coaching experience. How did that turn out again when a manager?

Speed had far more experience at managing a team which is indeed the point. Giggs managed for 4 dead rubber games. Mourniho sure as hell didn't want to keep him although I'd assume Giggs felt he was a shoe-in for the job and spat the dummy afterwards.

Now, Speed showed he wanted to be a manager, managing Sheff Utd in a lower league. Giggs has shown no desire to manage at anywhere other than the highest level, wanting to be parachuted into a job because he's Ryan f*cking Giggs. Even Paul Ince started at a lower league and he's a shit manager.

My fear is that all the good work that has been done over the years will be thrown away on a vanity job for an egomaniac appinted by people wanking over Giggs career.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I have have been managed by former international footballers and they don't mess about, but that YouTube footage of Giggs giving a teamtalk was dire, even amateur players would laugh at him. I sincerely hope he has improved since then, cos he would have the team falling asleep before kick-off!
    Do y'know, I saw that video and thought it was a wind-up.

I honestly believed that it was a parody of some sort. Unfortunately, it turns out that it was the real deal.

Personally, I don't like the bloke and find him as uninspiring as Martin Keown.

I'll admit in saying that I've always been a club-man first, national team second (whereas some of you, fair enough are the other way around) but have had my fair share of going to the internationals. To that end, I can't see myself rushing for tickets in the subsequent fixtures.

Having said that, I wasn't too thrilled when Coleman took over from Speed but warmed to him, albeit after a little while.

I've got an inkling that Giggs won't have a successful time as Wales' manager, as I don't believe that the players will work hard for him, neither will he have the fortitude to rally them when they're losing at Half-time.

All that aside, he was a cracking player and will, arguably go down in history as one of the best players football has seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

That was truly an amazing shoot by Ryan Giggs

... and for those that did not see the video of Giggs pre-match speech this is meant to be it

https://youtu.be/6GbqF9BYbcw

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    That was truly an amazing shoot by Ryan Giggs
    Whats truly amazing is that he turned up for the game, maybe fergie was feeling nice that day

Giggs has no charisma. He talks with a monotone voice which makes people switch off as soon as he opens his mouth. It'll all end in tears.

I didn't want CC as manager, and missed a game or two because of it, but was persuaded to go back. He achieved excellent results at the Euros, but we only just qualified, and we were well lacking in the WC Qualifiers, a group we should have walked. I'm afraid we were lucky to qualify for the Euros - we faltered towards the end, it was other results that got us through, and we failed to qualify for the WC under Coleman. At the Euros, each game was a cup final, and we punched well above or weight. Coleman was lucky, if Giggs doesn't get that kind of luck I see us going backwards.