+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deontay Wilder

Deontay Wilder

Watching feature on Sky ahead of his title defence tonight.

Is it just me or is Wilder horrendously overrated? Got some power there sure, but his recorded is padded more than Frank Bruno. I mean, his last fight a rematch with Stiverne was a great first round knockout against a guy who hadn't fought in 2 years beforehand. Tonight it's against a dangerous 38 yr old...

Re: Deontay Wilder

Wilder is overrated. The same as the rest of them in a really dreadful heavyweight division. Anyone buying these rubbish fights from Sky are being conned by Hearn and Sky.

Just my opinion but i reckon Wilder kos Joshua probaby before halfway.

Better movement. Joshua really reminds me of Frank Bruno.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Wilder is overrated. The same as the rest of them in a really dreadful heavyweight division. Anyone buying these rubbish fights from Sky are being conned by Hearn and Sky.

It’s all about whipping the public into a frenzy so the promoters can earn more money
    Let’s not forget that Bruno was made by the promoters after being outboxed by Rudi Pika. Bruno was given the result because he was the one the promoters wanted

You see much better fights in Treforest, like this one, Budden vs Sullivan.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hZ8tWYyMvc

Well, the heavyweight division went downhill in the Klitschko era, no disputing that. Wilder throws some real bombs but I'm just not convinced by his technique at all.

In my opinion, AJ is better than many give him credit for but is judged by the generally poor standard of the heavyweight division. The fact Sky have to make Parker look anywhere near a credible world champion is a massive task to undertake- fights of his I've seen have been incredibly poor.

The other divisions have far better boxing, far better boxers but the heavyweight division remains the marquee division - like you get better motor racing at lower levels but F1 remains the pinnacle.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Well, the heavyweight division went downhill in the Klitschko era, no disputing that. Wilder throws some real bombs but I'm just not convinced by his technique at all.

In my opinion, AJ is better than many give him credit for but is judged by the generally poor standard of the heavyweight division. The fact Sky have to make Parker look anywhere near a credible world champion is a massive task to undertake- fights of his I've seen have been incredibly poor.

The other divisions have far better boxing, far better boxers but the heavyweight division remains the marquee division - like you get better motor racing at lower levels but F1 remains the pinnacle.
    https://youtu.be/bMzGXdYR8jw

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Yeah...

Watching the Ortiz fight again. I just don't see it with Wilder, continually looking for the highlight reel ko punch. Throwing those punches that leave himself wide open, quality fighters will take advantage. I could see Tyson Fury smothering him ( given his size right now probably eat him ), AJ would constantly pressure in a way Ortiz couldn't.

Bellend - Wilder would be good for the verbals.

Yeah...

Watching the Ortiz fight again. I just don't see it with Wilder, continually looking for the highlight reel ko punch. Throwing those punches that leave himself wide open, quality fighters will take advantage. I could see Tyson Fury smothering him ( given his size right now probably eat him ), AJ would constantly pressure in a way Ortiz couldn't.

Bellend - Wilder would be good for the verbals.
    I just don't rate Wilder one bit.

Agree he would be picked off with ease against a decent boxer.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I just don't rate Wilder one bit.

Agree he would be picked off with ease against a decent boxer.
    IF AJ laid into him the way Ortiz did, don't see Wilder surviving. Ortiz being out on his feet let Wilder win that fight.

EDIT:

The problem AJ has now is he can only fight who is out there. Parker from the fights I've seen of him is nowhere near lop level; average at best. Wilder? Pah. Ortiz? If he's only 38 I'm a Martian.

The big money fight for AJ would be Tyson Fury - storyline being Fury didn't lose title in the ring. Other than that who else is out there? Bellew? Behave...

I suspect history will show AJ in a bad light given the standard of the heavyweight division at the moment.

I dont rate Wilder or AJ. I think its who connects big 1st. Just think its more likely to be Wilder.

Hope im wrong though.

I dont rate Wilder or AJ. I think its who connects big 1st. Just think its more likely to be Wilder.

Hope im wrong though.
    Wilder would have to use the same tactics he did against Ortiz - keep at distance, hope AJ tired late on. Make no mistake, Ortiz was leading on the scorecards, hd Wilder in real trouble. Gassing cost him that fight.

Wilder's big chance against AJ would be landing one of those home run punches. Trying to do that early on would expose him pretty easily - AJ is another level compared to Wilder.

I don't see a fight happening as Wilder would make unrealistic demands. In such a fight, AJ would be the draw. Look at the crowds AJ gets against the crowds Wilder gets in America.

Hope im wrong though.
    Agree with this and I’d wilder had not been in the states the ref would have stopped the fight in Ortiz favour in the seventh

International

Did anyone see that headbutt last night? It was outrageous.
    Man should have been disqualified, instead the doc stopped the fight.
    crazy

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Did anyone see that headbutt last night? It was outrageous.
    Man should have been disqualified, instead the doc stopped the fight.
    crazy
    The fight on the Brook bill you mean? That was accidental, there was no intent. Fight had to be stopped.

I think AJ will bash him up. Wilders record is sketchy. Yes he's done well given what he's come up against but if AJ thumps him correctly then down he goes. Of more concern is Parker who is pretty tough and will need to be negotiated first. Hopefully AJ doesn't bust his conk early doors like last time.

I disagree about Parker. Parker's fought worse fighters than Wilder. His fight against Hughie Fury was intended to build him up in the public eye to fight AJ and it was an absolute snorefest, Parker not wanting to get hit.

He's fought bums in NZ. Biggest name? Francois Botha. Impressive until you consider Botha was 42 and barely able to move in the ring. He's been aided fighting at home as on numerous occasions he's hit fighters already down on one knee.

Parker is the "world champion" that EVERY heavyweight boxer wants to fight, even Bellew.

If AJ loses to Parker it'll be an even bigger shock than Buster Douglas beating Tyson.

I disagree about Parker. Parker's fought worse fighters than Wilder. His fight against Hughie Fury was intended to build him up in the public eye to fight AJ and it was an absolute snorefest, Parker not wanting to get hit.

He's fought bums in NZ. Biggest name? Francois Botha. Impressive until you consider Botha was 42 and barely able to move in the ring. He's been aided fighting at home as on numerous occasions he's hit fighters already down on one knee.

Parker is the "world champion" that EVERY heavyweight boxer wants to fight, even Bellew.

If AJ loses to Parker it'll be an even bigger shock than Buster Douglas beating Tyson.

Valid points. I just get the feeling that Parker is durable and wont want to trade blows.. The type of fighter that AJ may struggle with. Wilder believes he's the shit and I can see him getting drawn in. I think Dillian Whyte could give both of them (Parker Wilder) a good fight. A mediocre standard compared to times gone by but I think AJ has all the makings. He will certainly bash that yank up. They just don't make em anymore.

Edit. The yanks don't make decent heavyweights any more I meant. Sorry.

Feel free to name the last one anybody, in the spirit of conversation like.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Valid points. I just get the feeling that Parker is durable and wont want to trade blows.. The type of fighter that AJ may struggle with. Wilder believes he's the shit and I can see him getting drawn in. I think Dillian Whyte could give both of them (Parker Wilder) a good fight. A mediocre standard compared to times gone by but I think AJ has all the makings. He will certainly bash that yank up. They just don't make em anymore.

Parker doesn't want to get hit. That's why his fight with Hughie Fury was a snorefest - Parker winning by split decision. AJ is far better technically than Parker, at some point Parker would have to press because otherwise he'd lose every round - each of Parker's last 3 fights have gone to points decision.

Whyte you know goes in for a tear up. At least that's slightly different and entertaining. Tyson Fury would Klitschko Wilder, getting in close and tying him up.

Last great American heavyweight for me was Holyfield and he was really a cruiser.

Riddick Bowe.

One of the great fights that never happened was Lewis v Bowe. (not including the Olympic Final).

Riddick Bowe.

One of the great fights that never happened was Lewis v Bowe. (not including the Olympic Final).
    Agreed. A very good boxer. They have struggled since then I reckon. Used to be a time when they dominated that division but for some reason and I don't know why, they don't seem produce good genuine heavyweights any more. Any body got any ideas on why this is?

Parker doesn't want to get hit. That's why his fight with Hughie Fury was a snorefest - Parker winning by split decision. AJ is far better technically than Parker, at some point Parker would have to press because otherwise he'd lose every round - each of Parker's last 3 fights have gone to points decision.

Whyte you know goes in for a tear up. At least that's slightly different and entertaining. Tyson Fury would Klitschko Wilder, getting in close and tying him up.

Last great American heavyweight for me was Holyfield and he was really a cruiser.
    Yeah he was small (lol) but a very good boxer with lovely ring craft. It puzzle's me. Are the big lads all going into American Football?

Yeah he was small (lol) but a very good boxer with lovely ring craft. It puzzle's me. Are the big lads all going into American Football?
    Well, the more money has gone into American Football, Basketball et al it's I suppose easier to make the money in those sports. Since in American Football you effectively have to go to college ( free sports scholrships ) you're gaining an education too so "less risk" than boxing.

Well, the more money has gone into American Football, Basketball et al it's I suppose easier to make the money in those sports. Since in American Football you effectively have to go to college ( free sports scholrships ) you're gaining an education too so "less risk" than boxing.
    I guess so. It's easier to make it in a team sport as well maybe but America is so big, so massive you would think that they would be tripping over potential world beaters. I was wondering if they had changed the 'golden gloves' ? or amatuer lay outs or something. More technical than just the lure of other sports. Any way I suppose it's good for everyone else at the moment. I'm sure they will come again. All sport is cyclical.

[QUOTE=joecity;4850179]Valid points. I just get the feeling that Parker is durable and wont want to trade blows.. The type of fighter that AJ may struggle with. Wilder believes he's the shit and I can see him getting drawn in. I think Dillian Whyte could give both of them (Parker Wilder) a good fight. A mediocre standard compared to times gone by but I think AJ has all the makings. He will certainly bash that yank up. They just don't make em anymore.

I think whyte is overhyped and but for the melee at the end of the first round against Joshua which gave him the extra rest to recover from almost being knocked out at the end of that round he would have been finished quickly in the second and would have disappeared into obscurity. Nothing he has done since that fight makes me think he could win a world title. Joshua has improved since that fight whereas Dillion has stood still

[QUOTE=Powis blue;4850273]

I think whyte is overhyped and but for the melee at the end of the first round against Joshua which gave him the extra rest to recover from almost being knocked out at the end of that round he would have been finished quickly in the second and would have disappeared into obscurity. Nothing he has done since that fight makes me think he could win a world title. Joshua has improved since that fight whereas Dillion has stood still
    His last fight was a snoozefest I give you that. He hurt AJ though. Seems to have lived on it since maybe as you rightly say. A title shot might make him up his work rate.