+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: About time we had a new computer question?

About time we had a new computer question?

My Vostro PC (from Dell) is eleven years old and the hard drive is showing signs of being flakey.

Everything is backed up; it's just a matter of whether to replace the PC or the HD (320GB Serial ATA Non Raid (2x160GB) 7200RPM dual HDD Config).

I've changed HD's in previous machines - and don't want to go down the external HD route.

Any thoughts on this decision including where to shop for a new HD (I'm looking for 500GB and reliability) and compatibility of interface connection issues?

Richyrich

Re: About time we had a new computer question?

A SSD might be good for your machine, about £100 from amazon, should speed up your PC a bit as HDD is usually the bottleneck. Although at 11 years it's getting on a bit, so a new PC may be the way to go. A new SSD may give you another couple of years out of it, you can always transfer the SSD to a new machine then.

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    A SSD might be good for your machine, about £100 from amazon, should speed up your PC a bit as HDD is usually the bottleneck. Although at 11 years it's getting on a bit, so a new PC may be the way to go. A new SSD may give you another couple of years out of it, you can always transfer the SSD to a new machine then.
    Thanks for that.

11 years is ancient for a computer, I would buy new.
    Think the longest I've had one is 4, but then I don't pay for them

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    11 years is ancient for a computer, I would buy new.
    Yeah that's what Mrs C says - got me money's worth out of the Vostro.
    OK that's what I'll do.
    Dell have got an Inspiron Desktop for about £300. I don't download music of films so may go for that and use my existing screen and wireless mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Yeah that's what Mrs C says - got me money's worth out of the Vostro.
    OK that's what I'll do.
    Dell have got an Inspiron Desktop for about £300. I don't download music of films so may go for that and use my existing screen and wireless mouse.
    I always say " does your PC do what you want of it " ? ? ??

If the answer is " yes " and it normally is

then the answer is buy the new part, in your case a new HD, how much is a 500 gig HD, £35 - £40

its a easy enough job to change and you are not shelling out £300

My Vostro PC (from Dell) is eleven years old and the hard drive is showing signs of being flakey.

Everything is backed up; it's just a matter of whether to replace the PC or the HD (320GB Serial ATA Non Raid (2x160GB) 7200RPM dual HDD Config).

I've changed HD's in previous machines - and don't want to go down the external HD route.

Any thoughts on this decision including where to shop for a new HD (I'm looking for 500GB and reliability) and compatibility of interface connection issues?
    Swapping in a new HD is simple and cheap.

If the PC is doing what you want then you can easily extend the life yet further by adding RAM, and even an SSD cache drive.

All cheap and easy to do.

I use Crucial.com - they have a nice app that tells you how far you can extend the PC if you aren't sure.

Thanks for the comments.

There may be an issue with compatibility of interface connections because of the age of the machine. The existing HD seems to have a SATA (no number) power connector.

Thanks for the comments.

There may be an issue with compatibility of interface connections because of the age of the machine. The existing HD seems to have a SATA (no number) power connector.
    I'm sure the computer history museum would buy it off you for a good price But seriously 11 years is too old, you will be amazed with the performance of the new ones

Thanks for the comments.

Loads on ebay, some are new ( the laptop drives ) some are used

30 quid

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I'm sure the computer history museum would buy it off you for a good price But seriously 11 years is too old, you will be amazed with the performance of the new ones

And high time you got some up-to-date guitars and equipment....

Buy a new PC. 11 years is a great result.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Buy a new PC. 11 years is a great result.
    I wavered, but that is what I'm going to do. Thanks all.

Couldn't believe what you get for your buck these days. The Vostro was £593 with a reduced spec

I wavered, but that is what I'm going to do. Thanks all.

Couldn't believe what you get for your buck these days. The Vostro was £593 with a reduced spec
    Computers are commodities these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post

And high time you got some up-to-date guitars and equipment....
    Yeah, I've been thinking of upgrading my '59 Les Paul, it's almost 60 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Yeah, I've been thinking of upgrading my '59 Les Paul, it's almost 60 years old!
    Stop fretting about it.

Bump!

I'm sure y'all are on tenderhooks wondering what occurred in the end.

Well I bought both options - the Dell PC AND a Seagate 1TB HD.

The reason simply is that I run two really massive websites (they are massive) which are run using a program which was published in 2007. I found that while I could install and run the apps on the new PC using Win10 and juggling compatibility, I couldn't alter and save the changes. So, I'm running two PCs at the mo - my old Vostro is dedicated to the websites. In case you ask, I can't migrate the programs to a later version because they are massive..

The plan is 1) to reskin the web-sites using a current app for Win10 - which is an on-going. 2) load the old app onto the new HD - the websites themselves are stored on two external HDs - and continue running the websites on the Vostro until the reskins are finished (in around 2025). I also need to clone some expensive old apps which I want to keep and install them on the new HD.

Changing/upgrading an old PC is a mindfield.

Thanks for your interest.

Finally I have some closure