+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Six more wins

Six more wins

It's not going to be easy.
    But I reckon 85 will be enough for AUTO.

Just get that Brentford game played by wednesday week. FFS.

Re: Six more wins

Are there rules governing when postponed ties must be played or is it just up to the clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Are there rules governing when postponed ties must be played or is it just up to the clubs?
    Someone mentioned that it could be played as far down the line as April. Not sure how true that is.

I'd assume it's just when we can fit it in.

Wigan I've noticed have played a few games less than others in league 1, so perhaps there is no rule on when they get played?

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Looking at a link that was posted yesterday the rule is that the clubs have seven days from the date of the postponement to to agree a new date. If not the football league will ‘tell’ them when to play it.

Surely this would have been discussed between the clubs as a postponement was looking likely. They should have had an announcement almost immediately as Villa v QPR did yesterday (re-arranged for 13/03), Barnsley v Norwich also 13/03.

Interestingly Wolves haven’t yet. Maybe they want to play it in July when the weather is better.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Very risky. Villa would need 23 points from 12 at less than 2 points a game. Over the last 20 years, more teams chasing that sort of average have got it than not. As a rough rule of thumb, teams with higher than average points totals at this stage in the season tend to finish with higher than average points totals, though that doesn't always happen. Only one team on 63 points in the last 20 years hasn't reached 85 points by the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Interestingly Wolves haven’t yet. Maybe they want to play it in July when the weather is better.
    I think there's a definite advantage to playing a game earlier, getting the points on board and putting pressure on the chasers, but losing a game in hand could also be critical. Timing could be crucial.

Take last season's Premier League relegation battle. Hull hosted Sunderland in a lunchtime kick off knowing a win would almost certainly have relegated the Jacks. Sunderland put in an unexpected performance, won and gave Swansea the opportunity to save themselves against Everton. By the following weekend, Swansea were now in the box seat, won at Sunderland on the Saturday and Hull were goners on the Sunday.

Half a dozen had a go at working it out at work. A mix of Wolves, West Brom, Villa, Brum, City & Watford fans.

The final points ended up as:
    1st Wolves 97 points
    2nd Villa 86 points
    3rd Fulham 86 points
    4th City 85 points
    5th Derby 79 points

Leaving City in a play-off with Derby

It's going to be very tight. I think City need a minimum of 22 points to get to 89 although a point at Villa Park would change things.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Half a dozen had a go at working it out at work. A mix of Wolves, West Brom, Villa, Brum, City & Watford fans.

1st Wolves 97 points
    2nd Villa 86 points
    3rd Fulham 86 points
    4th City 85 points
    5th Derby 79 points

It's going to be very tight. I think City need a minimum of 22 points to get to 89 although a point at Villa Park would change things.
    In other words, we're expected to falter. No reason for this, other than we're not a big enough name or we haven't spent lots of money.

For us to get 85 points we'll have seen quite a tail off in results. That's 1.5 points a game between now and the end of the season. In 2018 we're getting 2.22 points a game.

Still well to early to say. We need to win the games we ‘expect’ to win first.

I remember earlier this season where we expected to roll over Birmingham, Preston etc.

1st Wolves 97 points
    2nd Villa 86 points
    3rd Fulham 86 points
    4th City 85 points
    5th Derby 79 points

Our worst run of 12 games saw us get 18 points.

Would be a pretty bad run to repeat that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In other words, we're expected to falter. No reason for this, other than we're not a big enough name or we haven't spent lots of money.

For us to get 85 points we'll have seen quite a tail off in results. That's 1.5 points a game between now and the end of the season. In 2018 we're getting 2.22 points a game.
    Get 2.22 per game v Wolves and away to Villa, Derby, Sheff Utd, Norwich & Brentford would be table topping form. Even if we win the other 6 games we'd still need 9 points from these 6 which would a exceptional performance.

Personally i'll take 8 wins and a few draws, 6 wins leaves it far too tight.

Get 2.22 per game v Wolves and away to Villa, Derby, Sheff Utd, Norwich & Brentford would be table topping form. Even if we win the other 6 games we'd still need 9 points from these 6 which would a exceptional performance.

Personally i'll take 8 wins and a few draws, 6 wins leaves it far too tight.
    8 wins and automatic is a certainty. That means Villa needing 10 or Fulham needing to win the lot.

Derby have hit the buffers. We can hustle them out of a result there. Sheffield Utd haven't had the sparkle they had last year. No reason why we can't get something from Norwich and Brentford. A point at Villa would be a fantastic result.

There's nobody we fear in this division. If teams are having to change their natural game to play us, that plays into our hands.

8 wins and automatic is a certainty. That means Villa needing 10 or Fulham needing to win the lot.

Derby have hit the buffers. We can hustle them out of a result there. Sheffield Utd haven't had the sparkle they had last year. No reason why we can't get something from Norwich and Brentford. A point at Villa would be a fantastic result.

There's nobody we fear in this division. If teams are having to change their natural game to play us, that plays into our hands.
    This is spot on to what I’ve been thinking

indeed

we know its going to be close, but this is the city, its never easy

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    indeed

we know its going to be close, but this is the city, its never easy
    Given that some say that finishing eight points clear and confirming promotion with three games to go in 12/13 was "limping over the line", I agree with you.

This thread reminds me of that line ‘the despair I can live with it’s the hope that drives me insane’
    I’ve been quite calm all year not expecting anything and now I find I’m checking the BBC sports website looking at fixtures and tables.
    Fecking football 😃

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post

Just get that Brentford game played by wednesday week. FFS.
    I'm glad the game was called off, as it gives us chance to get some more points on the board. I for one thought Brentford away was going to be a tricky fixture.

We have to maximise this week’s fixtures as that run in April of Sheff Utd (a) , Wolves (h) , Villa (a) , Norwich ( a) looks ugly !!

Hopefully Fulham,Villa and Wolves drop points this week .

Two wins this week would be massive.