+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Oscars

The Oscars

Who will be the winners?

This may be unpopular, certainly non-pc, but I think most of the nominations are there not because they're good, but because of "diversity".

I predict a woman will get best director
    Black people will get best actor and actress, etc.

One of the front-runners for best film is "Get Out".
    It has a black lead actor and black director, but I've seen it and I think it is formulaic bilge.

Re: The Oscars

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Who will be the winners?

This may be unpopular, certainly non-pc, but I think most of the nominations are there not because they're good, but because of "diversity".

I predict a woman will get best director
    Black people will get best actor and actress, etc.

One of the front-runners for best film is "Get Out".
    It has a black lead actor and black director, but I've seen it and I think it is formulaic bilge.

The problem is when diversity is enforced for the sake of diversity. Much like the rule coming into football that insists one ethnic minority person must be invited for interview - regardless of their quality.

But, there's been an obvious problem with the Oscars over the decades. What we will end up with is tokenism, and that is not what it should be about.

I thought Get Out was a by the numbers film not rubbish but quite entertaining - certainly nowhere near Oscar material

Best film of the year for me was Dunkirk
    Best Actress Frances McDormand for three Billboards which is excellent
    Best Actor Gary Oldman in The Darkest Hour

Ive got a feeling The Shape of Water will win a lot though (Haven't seen it)

There's a lot of inward looking going on in La La Land so it could be that minorities sweep up as Hollywood tries to feel good about itself again.
    Is that a bad thing though
    I thoroughly enjoyed Baby Driver if you take your brain out for an hour

Dunkirk is utterly superb though

I thought Get Out was great, certainly one of the best films I've seen this year, very good concept ad some very good performances

I seen the Latinos protesting the other day about they don't get any opportunities it's becoming embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    I thought Get Out was a by the numbers film not rubbish but quite entertaining - certainly nowhere near Oscar material

There's a lot of inward looking going on in La La Land so it could be that minorities sweep up as Hollywood tries to feel good about itself again.

Although I wasn't a great fan of shape of water the lead women was excellent especially as she's a mute

I thought Dunkirk was quite shit, and Get Out was class! Three billboards probably the best of the lot, although I haven't seen shape of water. It doesn't seem like something I'd like, but it's had good reviews, so I will get round to it.

Saoirse Ronan never won thankfully. Her D4 accent is bad enough as it is. The thought of her being interviewed constantly would be too much.

I enjiyed 'Dunkirk' though I thought the storyline was a bit far fetched

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post

Fair play you did well with this post.

Dunkirk was spoiled for me by there being way too few little boats , the numbers of men
    on the beaches was also way too few , ditto for the the number of planes.

Needed a huge shot of CGI to make it a real spectacle.

Again , you did well.