+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 1 BARNSLEY. Match thread

FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 1 BARNSLEY. Match thread

City looking for a 5th straight victory when Barnsley visit CCS tonight

More...

C:WindowsTempphpA7E0.tmpCardiff City take on Barnsley looking for a win that would close the gap on Championship leaders Wolves to just three points.

Both sides had their weekend fixtures called off, and Cardiff's trip to Brentford and Barnsley's home date with Norwich City have been rescheduled for Tuesday 13 March.

Cardiff will hope Callum Paterson can return from injury, but skipper Sean Morrison remains a doubt.

Barnsley defender Ethan Pinnock may be back for the first time since January following a broken bone in his foot, but Adam Jackson will not return until the weekend after being knocked unconscious during last Tuesday's 1-1 draw at Hull.

Opta stats

Cardiff have lost one of their last nine league matches against Barnsley (W5 D3), though that defeat was at the Cardiff City Stadium last season.

The last three Championship matches between these sides at the Cardiff City Stadium have produced 17 goals (nine for Cardiff, eight for Barnsley).

Cardiff have won their last four league games without conceding - they have never won five in a row without conceding in their entire history.

Jose Morais has won four points in his first two away Championship games with Barnsley (W1 D1), as many as previous boss Paul Heckingbottom won his last seven away league matches (W1 D1 L5).

Kenneth Zohore has never scored in three consecutive Championship appearances for Cardiff.

Oliver McBurnie has scored three goals in two away Championship starts for the Tykes.

Match officials

Referee: ROBERT JONES
    Assistants: Timothy Wood and Akil Howson
    Fourth Official: Lee Swabey

Re: Cardiff City v Barnsley. Match preview

We're looking for a 5th straight win and a 5th consecutive clean sheet, so a quick quiz for everyone:

What's the record for the most amount of consecutive wins and cleans sheets in the football league, which team did it and who was their goalkeeper for this run? First one to answer gets to grin smugly.

I've got an uneasy feeling that we're gonna slip up somehow here, or that it'll be a hard-fought scraped 3 points, but who'd turn that down?

Re: CARDIFF CITY v BARNSLEY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    We're looking for a 5th straight win and a 5th consecutive clean sheet, so a quick quiz for everyone:

What's the record for the most amount of consecutive wins and cleans sheets in the football league, which team did it and who was their goalkeeper for this run? First one to answer gets to grin smugly.

I've got an uneasy feeling that we're gonna slip up somehow here, or that it'll be a hard-fought scraped 3 points, but who'd turn that down?
    Don't know the answer to your question but have faith Tokyo. We ARE going to win tonight.

The suspense is killing me!!

I tried searching with no success, but I did find this from the end of last season...

https://experimental361.com/2017/04/...l-this-season/

Scroll down to the Championship - it shows how we ended up bottom of the table for the longest run (in minutes) without conceding a goal, along with these wise words from the author:

“At the bottom Cardiff‘s longest gap between goals conceded is still shorter than already-relegated Rotherham‘s, so perhaps that should be an area of focus for Neil Warnock over the summer”.

Go on Warnock!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Don't know the answer to your question but have faith Tokyo. We ARE going to win tonight.
    A pessimist like myself is never disappointed, but often bloody annoying. I admire your positive attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsarnie View Post
    The suspense is killing me!!

I tried searching with no success, but I did find this from the end of last season...

https://experimental361.com/2017/04/...l-this-season/

Scroll down to the Championship - it shows how we ended up bottom of the table for the longest run (in minutes) without conceding a goal, along with these wise words from the author:

“At the bottom Cardiff‘s longest gap between goals conceded is still shorter than already-relegated Rotherham‘s, so perhaps that should be an area of focus for Neil Warnock over the summer”.

Go on Warnock!!!!
    I'll give you 2 hints: the team that did it were currently in League 2 at the time, but have since dropped out of the football league. And the goalkeeper is a keeper that most on here should know a lot about. He doesn't play for City, but we support him when he's playing for another team...

A pessimist like myself is never disappointed, but often bloody annoying. I admire your positive attitude!

I'll give you 2 hints: the team that did it were currently in League 2 at the time, but have since dropped out of the football league. And the goalkeeper is a keeper that most on here should know a lot about. He doesn't play for City, but we support him when he's playing for another team...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...rt/7305219.stm

We’ll do 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsarnie View Post
    Spot on! I shouldn't have mentioned this coz now I've probably jinxed us.

Wayne Hennessy. He was on loan from wolves to a team I can’t remember without googling it.

Looks like Halford is playing tonight.
    https://twitter.com/GregHalford15/st...0%7Ctwterm%5E3

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Wayne Hennessy. He was on loan from wolves to a team I can’t remember without googling it.
    Yup, and Jamsarnie gave the link to the article about Stockport County who managed it about 11 years ago or so. They beat Swindon 3-0 to make it 9 on the bounce, and then I have a funny feeling they got trounced 5-3 the following game.

Football's a funny game, eh?

Yup, and Jamsarnie gave the link to the article about Stockport County who managed it about 11 years ago or so. They beat Swindon 3-0 to make it 9 on the bounce, and then I have a funny feeling they got trounced 5-3 the following game.

Football's a funny game, eh?
    Interesting, thanks for that. Just looking at it now. They were Hennessey's first games in the football league, quite a start to his career. We'd played them in a pre-season friendly and lost 6-4. Pilkington scored for them and Ashley Williams played too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...rt/6920690.stm

the new Ralls

Blòoooooooooobirds!!

Sorry but how do you get that Halford is playing from that ?. It is game day and it is a big match - he is just stating facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Interesting, thanks for that. Just looking at it now. They were Hennessey's first games in the football league, quite a start to his career. We'd played them in a pre-season friendly and lost 6-4. Pilkington scored for them and Ashley Williams played too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...rt/6920690.stm
    It was a lovely sunny day too - got a bit sunburnt sat in the open away terrace. Look at where poor Stockport are now though. Really gone to the dogs sadly.

No Ralls. Bryson starts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    No Ralls. Bryson starts
    Grujic starts too in place of Halford and K Harris for Feeney

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Bugger. No Morrison ...

Where's Madine ?

Not even on bench, will our injury list ever subside. Unbelievable.

I assume that means Connolly at CB along with Bamba, and Manga at RB?

The same starting 11 with Morrison/Ralls in place of Connolly/Bryson would look good. Hopefully Connolly and Bryson do what Feeney and Halford did last time and bring back the points.

The subs bench shows how stretched we are. Three wingers (four if you include Pilks), and Halford covering the whole back line!

No, same back 4 as Bristol Jon. Connolly at rb, Manga alongside Bamba.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    No, same back 4 as Bristol Jon. Connolly at rb, Manga alongside Bamba.
    Ah yes - my mistake. I was partly confusing myself with the Ipswich line up (Manga and Connolly as full backs). I feel a bit more comfortable remembering the Bristol game. Hopefully Barnsley will be just as inept!

Got sinking feeling. Too many missing. Pretty weak bench, all wingers!