+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sorry Neil, but you got our substitutions and tactics badly wrong tonight

Sorry Neil, but you got our substitutions and tactics badly wrong tonight

Grujic had scored - City were cruising. Paterson was down injured. He took Grujic off (who was having a good, assured game) and put Halford on. Gave Barnsley a glimpse of a chance.

Harris was having such a poor game, that Feeney would have been an improvement. We were crying out for Mendez-Laing to come on with say half an hour to go. He came on............eventually.

Neil's usual tactic of going two up and then closing the game down almost came unstuck. For most of the second half, we were second to the ball and frankly Barnsley probably deserved a point. Villa and Fulham would have kept going and score three or four.

Re: Sorry Neil, but you got our substitutions and tactics badly wrong tonight

Think your being harsh, took grujic off because he was on a yellow, bench was limited due to injuries.

If we can win when we have a couple of key players out, then we don't have much to complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Grujic had scored - City were cruising. Paterson was down injured. He took Grujic off (who was having a good, assured game) and put Halford on. Gave Barnsley a glimpse of a chance.

Harris was having such a poor game, that Feeney would have been an improvement. We were crying out for Mendez-Laing to come on with say half an hour to go. He came on............eventually.

Neil's usual tactic of going two up and then closing the game down almost came unstuck. For most of the second half, we were second to the ball and frankly Barnsley probably deserved a point. Villa and Fulham would have kept going and score three or four.
    We got the three points that’s all that counts at this stage.

I didn't understand the substitutions either.

we were being overun and the ball was falling for them long before he brought on the subs

I assumed Grujic was injured. Maybe not? Don't see why he was brought off otherwise when Paterson was struggling. May be wrong though.

Grujic picked up an injury. Bryson came over to the bench and Warnock immediately made the substitution , taking off Grujic. Patterson was obviously injured too. Had these two not picked up knocks I don't think Bryson would have lasted the 90 minutes.

Our midfield at themed was Halford, Bryson and Damour, something I never thought I'd see , but may do again on Saturday!!

Madine has apparently got a cracked rib and is out for a month, also heard that Ralls may be out for the rest of the season, not sure why.

Like Chris Lee said, I reckon he took him off because he was on a yellow and we looked relatively comfortable at that point. Subs didn't work, but we still won so we got away with it.

I agree with the original poster and i thought he got it wrong tonight. My only disclaimer being that we don't know what's happening behind the scenes and the gaffer could be protecting niggles etc.

If they were all fit I thought it was bizarre taking off Grujic after he just scored his first goal from 25 yards.
    Bryson was completely off the pace and though he worked hard he was always late getting to everything.

Man of the match was Ken for me, he put one he'll of a shift in and held the ball up well. Hoillet is class and it was great to see Mendez-Laing have a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I assumed Grujic was injured. Maybe not? Don't see why he was brought off otherwise when Paterson was struggling. May be wrong though.
    I thought Halford was excellent when he came on and I’m not his greatest fan normally. Grujic seemed to be having trouble with his passing most of the evening, though took his goal superbly. Paterson going off undid us as the energy and controlled aggression was lost in midfield.

Bryson had a bit of a mare in a couple of key moments (allowing his man to get the ball in for their goal and then that miss at the end) but he’s in need of match time and I hope he’ll get back up to pace soon as we’re going to need him.

Barnsley did to us what we try to do to others - physically dominate. It shows how effective that approach can be as we struggled all night without Morrison against their big lads.

I hope we’ve got some of the walking wounded back for Brum and that Zohore has not tweaked his groin if Madine is out with broken ribs...

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    We got the three points that’s all that counts at this stage.
    Errr did you see all those empty seats?!

He took him off as he could have had another yellow during the game.
    Ps whats the point in brayson

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    we were being overun and the ball was falling for them long before he brought on the subs
    It started when Patterson got injured.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Grujic picked up an injury. Bryson came over to the bench and Warnock immediately made the substitution , taking off Grujic. Patterson was obviously injured too. Had these two not picked up knocks I don't think Bryson would have lasted the 90 minutes.

Our midfield at themed was Halford, Bryson and Damour, something I never thought I'd see , but may do again on Saturday!!

Madine has apparently got a cracked rib and is out for a month, also heard that Ralls may be out for the rest of the season, not sure why.
    Don’t start that again ffs!!!

We badly missed Ralls tonight. Really hope its not long term.

We were the better team 1st half though. 2nd half was theirs.

Crowd was great tonight though. Got really behind the side even when we were struggling.

One thing tactically. This side knows how to see a game out. Lets face it youd hate us if your the opposition. Experts at time wasting , running down the clock. All the tricks are there.

First thing I thought when gruyic went off was that he was on a yellow and NW wanted to defend the 2 nil.
    On the face if it, not such a bad tactic especially as we don't know how long Joe Ralls will be out and can I'll afford a ban for a central midfielder.
    The problem was that there was a long time to go in the game.
    We lost our rhythm a bit but, although we did not play well, we did enough.

The referee made everyone nervous with some strange decisions, seemingly in favour of them (I say seemingly because my judgement may have been clouded due to my nerves).
    Chances are he was just incompetent and Warnock may well have had this in mind with the substitution.
    Ultimately the points in the bag, with another odd looking side, is job done and how the OP can say he got the substitutions and tactics BADLY wrong I don't know.

Warnock does nothing wrong when it's 5 out of 5.

We missed Grujic, whatever the reason for the change. Then to lose Patterson as well, that's was a double blow.

With Ralls missing from the start, and Mozza still out, that was a great 3 points gained tonight, Neil must be ecstatic!

Hope Morrison and Pelts are fit for Saturday.

I'd put Bamba in midfield instead of Patterson .

I'd give the Norwich loan lad a run on the wing.

Damour and Bryson in midfield .

Everyone needs a run out.

Warnock confirmed in his post-match interview that he took Grujic off because he was worried the ref would wave another yellow at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    He took him off as he could have had another yellow during the game.
    Ps whats the point in brayson
    Good question - I've never seen a player run around so much with so little end product.