+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attendances

Attendances

Not ours but other games played last night. There were only 3,464 at Burton/Brentford and 8,631 at Reading/Bolton. Even taking into account their league positions and the probable small away support, they're both pitiful attendances. On the other hand, for Sunderland to get 26,081 in their current mess is amazing, even factoring in what was no doubt a good number of Villa fans.

Re: Attendances

Its a lot of monet for some folk and after work games in the winter are not easy as you get older.

Sunderland fans are remarkable,big club with poor team .

They will go down and cone back up as Div 1 Champions, then win the Championship the following year is my tip.

Too many games on TV, too expensive to go. We need to be very careful or we'll end up with a situation like Italy where nobody bothers going anymore and then the league suffers, not that anyone higher up cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Not ours but other games played last night. There were only 3,464 at Burton/Brentford and 8,631 at Reading/Bolton. Even taking into account their league positions and the probable small away support, they're both pitiful attendances. On the other hand, for Sunderland to get 26,081 in their current mess is amazing, even factoring in what was no doubt a good number of Villa fans.
    Champions league games are a factor.
    You've worked all day and want to watch football. Easy for some to just think of a nice bottle of wine with a pizza in front of the fire. Well, why pay the BT subscription otherwise?

Kudos to Sundeland fans.

Attendances are pretty pathetic considering.

Personally believe it’s nothing to do with the rebrand.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Attendances are pretty pathetic considering.

Given the small but applaudable mob Barnsley brought down, you can probably say 16K is our core crowd at present - for whatever reasons.

Its certainly nothing to do with the rebrand,we had bigger crowds when we played in Red?

I think people are being priced out is the biggest factor these days. Why pay £20/30 to watch an average second tier team when you can watch the best in the word on tv.

I read an article the other day how football clubs lose a lot of fans between 18-22 because they stop going with their friends/old man when they go to uni and they’re priced out when they first start work and never get back into it:

For me the clubs don’t do enough to get kids interested these days. Especially now they’re up against so many TV games/Fifa etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The fallout from the re-brand is a considerably bigger factor than many City supporters seem prepared to acknowledge, but there are undoubtedly a number of other significant factors too, not least the quality of this season's football.

One factor is that the novelty of the new stadium has worn off. When the ground opened I knew quite a few floating fans who bought season tickets because of the new stadium. Most stuck around until relegation from the premier. I see these people now and then and they all say they've now lost interest in going.

For me I suspect that a lot of people got disillusioned by first the rebrand and fan v fan stuff, but then the fact that we actually did it -
    we reached the top division, the glory of the premier league for the first time in 50 years, longer than most can remember.

I think crowds and expectations built leading up to that but when it happened, some swallowed their pride, and turned a blind eye to the red for one season just for the premier experience, and some thought - that's it we've got there - it was rubbish, the Malky / Tan embarrassment made it worse and stopped after that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Too many games on TV, too expensive to go. We need to be very careful or we'll end up with a situation like Italy where nobody bothers going anymore and then the league suffers, not that anyone higher up cares.
    I think it will go that way sooner or later.
    More and more are being fed a huge number of live games. For myself, I find it difficult to watch televised football. Its like drinking at home, its isn't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The fallout from the re-brand is a considerably bigger factor than many City supporters seem prepared to acknowledge, but there are undoubtedly a number of other significant factors too, not least the quality of this season's football.
    I think it’s underestimated by most of the fan base but I think it’s probably over estimated by a lot of people too.

I think we are more or less at our natural level when compared with attendances around the country. I’d say maybe 500-1000 lower than we should be based on the rebrand.

People seem to gloss over even when we were selling loads of season tickets during the risdale price freeze and were averaging ~22-23k people were always saying there were only actually 17,000 in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think it’s underestimated by most of the fan base but I think it’s probably over estimated by a lot of people too.

I think we are more or less at our natural level when compared with attendances around the country. I’d say maybe 500-1000 lower than we should be based on the rebrand.

People seem to gloss over even when we were selling loads of season tickets during the risdale price freeze and were averaging ~22-23k people were always saying there were only actually 17,000 in the ground.
    Do you think there were really 16,000 there last night? I overheard a steward saying the club were expecting an actual crowd of around 9,000 as I went into the ground.

What about all the supporters that have passed away? I know this sounds daft but think of all the City fans that each and every one of us have known in the last 10 years that are sadly no longer with us

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I wouldn't like to put a figure on the number of fans who were actually lost as a result of the re-brand. Based on personal experience of the supporters that I know personally, I reckon the number is probably a shade higher than most people think. However, I reckon the fact that the whole dismal affair resulted in a shift of attitudes for a large number of long-term fans is of much more significance. After the events of 2012 to 2015, Cardiff City Football Club is simply no longer as important to many people as it once was and I think that is reflected in the current level of attendances.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Apart from Sheff United, Leeds and Derby it seems the norm for Sunderland.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/s...nd/attendances

I think with the emergence of BT Sport as well as Sky, most homes have one of them now.

What is BT Sport, 29 quid for broadband and you get that for free?

& They constantly push the premier league and Champions league. Travelling to watch championship football, spending more of your income, or sit in your house watching the best of the best??. Or if not tonight, there'll be a good game on TV tomorrow or the day after almost certainly.

Not only that but Netflix, prime video etc etc etc etc. People are living less and less in the real world & have all the entertainment they need at home. Just wait until virtual reality takes a hold, no need to leave the house!.

I don't know why people are surprised as well, a lot of championship football is diabolical. That game v Bristol City, I've seen more quality football in my local pub team

I've been to 4 league games this year which is crap but I cant spend the money currently.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Champions league games are a factor.
    You've worked all day and want to watch football. Easy for some to just think of a nice bottle of wine with a pizza in front of the fire. Well, why pay the BT subscription otherwise?

Kudos to Sundeland fans.
    I very nearly didn't go last night as I wasn't leaving Bridgend till well gone 5 to get home from work. Needed to get home get clothes ready and shower and make my lift for 6.. in pontypridd...then get to cardiff...only the fact that One of the lads took a wrong exit helped me make the game.

I know of many people who have ST but work away too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I wouldn't like to put a figure on the number of fans who were actually lost as a result of the re-brand. Based on personal experience of the supporters that I know personally, I reckon the number is probably a shade higher than most people think. However, I reckon the fact that the whole dismal affair resulted in a shift of attitudes for a large number of long-term fans is of much more significance. After the events of 2012 to 2015, Cardiff City Football Club is simply no longer as important to many people as it once was and I think that is reflected in the current level of attendances.
    I think you’re probably right, I think the club need to be looking into a way to get more young people hooked because we have the same problem as most football league teams were our crowds are almost exclusively middle aged men.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Apart from Sheff United, Leeds and Derby it seems the norm for Sunderland.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/s...nd/attendances
    I saw a photo from the stadium of light last night, no way was there 20k there.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Do you think there were really 16,000 there last night? I overheard a steward saying the club were expecting an actual crowd of around 9,000 as I went into the ground.
    I don’t know, I only watched it on ifollow and the camera work never really shows the crowd.

If I’m being completely honest it isn’t something that really bothers me, I’d rather a full ground for a better atmosphere but it’s not something that I’d lose sleep over. I think it’s more a football problem than a Cardiff problem too.

In the earlier part of the last 10 years, there was momentum within the club. FA Cup Final, Play off Final, and League Cup final. This was followed by winning the Championship.
    Since then it has been a slide downwards. Its only now that some are believing we might go up.
    Its shag all to do with the rebrand, its a success driven sport.
    Its not new thing that a very low gate turns out on a Tuesday, followed by another home game on a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Its shag all to do with the rebrand
    So you don't believe there are long-term fans who stopped going as a result of the re-brand and you don't believe that the attitudes of a lot of fans changed during the re-brand era?