+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live music concerts pricing themselves out of reach of fans?

Live music concerts pricing themselves out of reach of fans?

Joe Bonamassa is coming to Motorpoint on Friday. I saw and thoroughly enjoyed his show last time he was here in 2015 and wanted to see him again. But I hesitated before booking. The seats on the floor are a cool £100 (+ unless you go to the booking office). On the wings, the seats are £90.

Now Joe and the band work hard. They are on stage for well into two hours with no break, but £100/90 is a helluva price.

This is the latest available seating diagram:

JB.jpg

As you can see, the aircraft hanger is only about 80% full - and it's going to be noticeable, not least to Joe. Last time when seats were about £20 cheaper, the show was sold out. The other consideration is the demographic. I'd say the average age of the audience was around 55 - 60.

So I reckon there's a tipping point here. Joe is a huge draw but he hasn't drawn this time. £100 is a bridge too far even for those with disposable incomes.

Joe Satriani is playing at Bristol. I enjoyed his set more than Bonamassa's in 2015 but I am not paying the seat price and the cost of travel and parking. My personal tipping point.

Re: Live music concerts pricing themselves out of reach of fans?

Pathetic prices .

Albert Lee , legendary guitarists , is playing the Earl Haig in Whitchurch for twenty bucks .

Waiting for jirga to comment on a drop in crowds despite Joe bonamassa selling out in previous seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Waiting for jirga to comment on a drop in crowds despite Joe bonamassa selling out in previous seasons.
    Is it on Sky then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Joe Bonamassa is coming to Motorpoint on Friday. I saw and thoroughly enjoyed his show last time he was here in 2015 and wanted to see him again. But I hesitated before booking. The seats on the floor are a cool £100 (+ unless you go to the booking office). On the wings, the seats are £90.

Now Joe and the band work hard. They are on stage for well into two hours with no break, but £100/90 is a helluva price.

This is the latest available seating diagram:

JB.jpg

As you can see, the aircraft hanger is only about 80% full - and it's going to be noticeable, not least to Joe. Last time when seats were about £20 cheaper, the show was sold out. The other consideration is the demographic. I'd say the average age of the audience was around 55 - 60.

So I reckon there's a tipping point here. Joe is a huge draw but he hasn't drawn this time. £100 is a bridge too far even for those with disposable incomes.

Joe Satriani is playing at Bristol. I enjoyed his set more than Bonamassa's in 2015 but I am not paying the seat price and the cost of travel and parking. My personal tipping point.
    Musicians these days don't earn the sort of dosh they did pre file sharing and internet so live music is their main source of income.
    Booking fees for the greedy websites have also contributed.

The canny pensioners are probably the only ones who can afford to attend these concerts.
    I used to love my live music, still do, but these days I watch either local bands or the odd tribute band. There are far better ways to spend my hard earned money on.

Depends what kind of music you're into I guess. I go to lots of gigs but rarely pay anything more than £20. I've been five so far this year and the ticket prices were £4, £14, £7, £12 and £14.

I'm amazed anyone would want to go to a seated gig in the first place, much less pay £100 for the privilege, but each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm amazed anyone would want to go to a seated gig in the first place, much less pay £100 for the privilege, but each to their own.
    Who said it is a seated gig, mush?
    Last concert at Motorpoint I saw was Deep Purple and most of those in the floor seats were standing for their entire set.
    If it helps your piece of mind , I've also slummed it with the great unwashed at venues like The Tramshed too.

Who said it is a seated gig, mush?
    I took a wild guess as you supplied a seating plan.

As it happens, I'll be in the Motorpoint Arena tonight for a Stereophonics gig. No idea how much the tickets were - it's my girlfriend's choice, so she paid, as she always does when they come to town. In fairness, the band usually puts on a decent show, but I wouldn't pay to watch it.

I took a wild guess as you supplied a seating plan. As it happens, I'll be in the Motorpoint Arena tonight for a Stereophonics gig. No idea how much the tickets were - it's my girlfriend's choice, so she paid, as she always does when they come to town. In fairness, the band usually puts on a decent show, but I wouldn't pay to watch it.
    I always had a lot of time for you and your views, but now I know you'm an inverted music snob who sponges off others, I see you in a totally different light.

I always had a lot of time for you and your views, but now I know you'm an inverted music snob who sponges off others, I see you in a totally different light.
    I don't know what you're talking about. I just bought her a ticket for a gig in Aberdare in April - it cost £5.50, so it's sort of evened itself out.

I also just bought myself a ticket for a one-day festival in Bristol in May. £14.50, no seats.

I took a wild guess as you supplied a seating plan.

As it happens, I'll be in the Motorpoint Arena tonight for a Stereophonics gig. No idea how much the tickets were - it's my girlfriend's choice, so she paid, as she always does when they come to town. In fairness, the band usually puts on a decent show, but I wouldn't pay to watch it.
    Last I heard they were playing weddings and Xmas parties

I also just bought myself a ticket for a one-day festival in Bristol in May. £14.50, no seats.
    wurzels.jpg

£14.50 seems a bit pricey to me. Are the wellies included?

wurzels.jpg

£14.50 seems a bit pricey to me. Are the wellies included?
    I have accidentally seen the Wurzels twice i.e. at the playoff semifinal at Ashton Gate and at an open day at a cider farm near where I live. Even worse was the experience I had when some Somerset mates persuaded me to go to a cider festival at Bristol Temple Meads. The good news was that one stall was selling real ale but the downside was the band. Believe it or not, it was a Wurzels tribute band!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have accidentally seen the Wurzels twice i.e. at the playoff semifinal at Ashton Gate and at an open day at a cider farm near where I live. Even worse was the experience I had when some Somerset mates persuaded me to go to a cider festival at Bristol Temple Meads. The good news was that one stall was selling real ale but the downside was the band. Believe it or not, it was a Wurzels tribute band!
    Well at least we've been spared your memories of Trout and Trower yet again - which on the third thought would be a great name for an Exeter venue.

Well at least we've been spared your memories of Trout and Trower yet again - which on the third thought would be a great name for an Exeter venue.
    Apologies. I do remember mentioning those two musicians in a music thread on here in October 2016.

Apologies. I do remember mentioning those two musicians in a music thread on here in October 2016.
    September actually.

Depends what kind of music you're into I guess. I go to lots of gigs but rarely pay anything more than £20. I've been five so far this year and the ticket prices were £4, £14, £7, £12 and £14.

Sadly some of us cant stand for 3 hours due to a disability so when I go to the motorpoint I end up leaning against a wall while my partner who is under 5ft can only get glimpses of the band through a sea of heads!!!!! Cant wait for the new arena down the bay

I've yet to commit to Simple Minds this year which would be the 1st tour since 1986 I will have missed (that's if i don't give in), I'm seeing Tony Levin next week at the Acapela Pentrych, £22 sheets a ticket, my days of shelling out for the major artists is coming to an end, We sometimes use gigs as an excuse to visit a European City taking in a break, not got much planned so far this year but my lad is playing in France again later in the year so that's a maybe, he played in Holland on the weekend but we gave that one a miss having recently booked a break in Prague for next month.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    It looks like tickets are selling well to me.

They don't make that much money off record sales anymore though. I'm not defending the ridiculous prices but with these streaming sites and illegal downloads, a lot of artists are ripped off when it comes to the music thy make. Touring is the main income. If fans will pay it, why wouldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I've yet to commit to Simple Minds this year which would be the 1st tour since 1986 I will have missed (that's if i don't give in), I'm seeing Tony Levin next week at the Acapela Pentrych, £22 sheets a ticket, my days of shelling out for the major artists is coming to an end, We sometimes use gigs as an excuse to visit a European City taking in a break, not got much planned so far this year but my lad is playing in France again later in the year so that's a maybe, he played in Holland on the weekend but we gave that one a miss having recently booked a break in Prague for next month.
    Taunton is the new music hub of the UK (he says, tongue in cheek). This summer we have different outdoor gigs by Billy Ocean, Paloma Faith, Kaiser Chiefs and Simple Minds. In recent years we have had Elton John, Rod Stewart, UB40, Status Quo, Jools Holland and Will Young. Otherwise we don't have an indoor music venue of any note. Most of the above are not my taste in music, by the way....

Taunton is the new music hub of the UK (he says, tongue in cheek). This summer we have different outdoor gigs by Billy Ocean, Paloma Faith, Kaiser Chiefs and Simple Minds. In recent years we have had Elton John, Rod Stewart, UB40, Status Quo, Jools Holland and Will Young. Otherwise we don't have an indoor music venue of any note. Most of the above are not my taste in music, by the way....
    Simple Minds are player at Merthyr Tydfil, how the mighty have fallen

I actively want people to steal their music when artists/bands charge silly prices for tickets.

I want to attend these concerts but my morals are stopping me go. Oh well I’m going to have to look at alternative bands and venues

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Simple Minds are player at Merthyr Tydfil, how the mighty have fallen
    With The Pretenders and K T Tunstall. I've got my ticket, just hope it doesn't rain
    Wasn't Jim Kerr and Chrissey Hynde an item at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    With The Pretenders and K T Tunstall. I've got my ticket, just hope it doesn't rain
    Wasn't Jim Kerr and Chrissey Hynde an item at one time?
    Yes