+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gonna offend youse now....

Gonna offend youse now....

I am Pompey born and bred - of which I've make no secret. I also love watching football - which is why I'm a City ST holder. I just want to comment on what happened to the Barnsley 'Jack' McBurnie yesterday - neither I, nor the folk around me knew he was a Jack at first, by the way.

Where I come from the rivalry between Pompey and the Saints makes the City/Jacks thing look like a small pub skirmish. Yet when I lived in Portsmouth, I would watch Pompey one week and Saints the next - I went to see the great football of Paine and Sydenham and Davies and Chivers et al.

McBurnie let himself get a bit wound up by the chants yesterday - and then he scored. I loved his dance and gestures towards the fans who had reviled him. I laughed out loud. Good for you son - best way to answer the baying mob. He couldn't contain himself and what came out was spontaneous and unstudied.

For those who want to pile in now, let me add this. My daughter now lives in Southampton. A grand-daughter was born there. As a Pompey man, should I cast them off? Rivalry I understand - and it makes for great theatre - but surely it should be tempered by sweet reason.

(PS Isn't it against FIFA laws for footballers to play without shin-guards as McBurnie appeared to do? Filthy Jack caravan-dwelling SCUM!)

Re: Gonna offend youse now....

Well, you came good with that final sentence.

Well said, Cyclops.

I am all for players having a go at the fans that have goaded them

whoever it is

Funny how fans get all pissy as soon as a player has the audacity to give them something like a silent finger.

I thought the goading of McBurnie worked to the extent that he made quite a few unforced mistakes, but he also showed signs of why he could be a pretty effective striker at this level (he didn't do badly in the Premier League matches he played for the Jacks either), I agree though that there's nothing wrong with a player giving a bit of stick back to the fans who have been goading him.

Quote Originally Posted by BuyingManCityTickets View Post
    I am all for players having a go at the fans that have goaded them

whoever it is

Funny how fans get all pissy as soon as a player has the audacity to give them something like a silent finger.
    Completely agree. Football fans are a funny breed they think they can get away with behaving like scum bags all match but the second they get a tiny bit back they can’t take it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought the goading of McBurnie worked to the extent that he made quite a few unforced mistakes, but he also showed signs of why he could be a pretty effective striker at this level (he didn't do badly in the Premier League matches he played for the Jacks either), I agree though that there's nothing wrong with a player giving a bit of stick back to the fans who have been goading him.
    Spot on in every sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Completely agree. Football fans are a funny breed they think they can get away with behaving like scum bags all match but the second they get a tiny bit back they can’t take it.
    "Can't take it" is pushing it slightly..

I think he should have had a round of applause when he walked on the pitch seeing as he was on loan from our near neighbours.
    Hey ho it did n`t happen.
    Modern football aye.

It was always going to happen, if anyone was going to score for Barnsley it was him...and he did. So for our crowd if we give it out we have to take it back. He looks and excellent player at this level for someone so inexperience, so no doubt he'll feature a lot for Swansea next season?

Cyclops - random question, but were you interviewed for Skysports news on the coach on the way to the F.A Cup semi-final against Barnsley? If so, you were sat right behind me

If not, then there's another Pompey-born long-term city fan out there, and there ain't room enough for two of youse!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    Cyclops - random question, but were you interviewed for Skysports news on the coach on the way to the F.A Cup semi-final against Barnsley? If so, you were sat right behind me If not, then there's another Pompey-born long-term city fan out there, and there ain't room enough for two of youse!
    Weren't me, mush....but there is a City fan living in Pompey who used to post on here (PompeyBlue?) who I met completely by chance under the Ninian a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I am Pompey born and bred - of which I've make no secret. I also love watching football - which is why I'm a City ST holder. I just want to comment on what happened to the Barnsley 'Jack' McBurnie yesterday - neither I, nor the folk around me knew he was a Jack at first, by the way.

Where I come from the rivalry between Pompey and the Saints makes the City/Jacks thing look like a small pub skirmish. Yet when I lived in Portsmouth, I would watch Pompey one week and Saints the next - I went to see the great football of Paine and Sydenham and Davies and Chivers et al.

McBurnie let himself get a bit wound up by the chants yesterday - and then he scored. I loved his dance and gestures towards the fans who had reviled him. I laughed out loud. Good for you son - best way to answer the baying mob. He couldn't contain himself and what came out was spontaneous and unstudied.

For those who want to pile in now, let me add this. My daughter now lives in Southampton. A grand-daughter was born there. As a Pompey man, should I cast them off? Rivalry I understand - and it makes for great theatre - but surely it should be tempered by sweet reason.

(PS Isn't it against FIFA laws for footballers to play without shin-guards as McBurnie appeared to do? Filthy Jack caravan-dwelling SCUM!)

You might be "Pompey born" but you're certainly not "Pompey bred" ... you live in South Wales, right?

Portsmouth versus Southampton is more intense than Cardiff/Swansea? ... I'd suggest you haven't been to games involving our two teams at Ninian Park or the Vetch field.

You had such an intense rivalry with Southampton that you'd regularly put money into their coffers, eh! .... I wouldn't open the curtains to watch Swansea Town if they were playing in my back garden!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Spot on in every sense.
    Always seems to me we should be doing everything we can to support the team. Why waste energy on that pathetic Swansea scum song - singing about another team in the middle of a match. They're not important. Just support the boys.

The noise in the last 5-10 minutes was incredible and must have helped the team finally get over the line. The cheer on the final whistle was possibly the loudest of the night. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Weren't me, mush....but there is a City fan living in Pompey who used to post on here (PompeyBlue?) who I met completely by chance under the Ninian a few years ago.
    I gave PompeyBlue a lift to a few home matches some years ago. He’s not the only Bluebird fan in Portsmouth, I’m still here 😄

The Pompey fans I know would never contemplate watching the Scummers as you lot call them 😄

There's a guy lives near me who's a Pompey fan but watches City every week.

They are everywhere.

Really nice guy too 👍

I think that most of the time, giving stick to certain players for their past connections to the jacks, or Wurzels or who ever, tends to bring the best out of them. When I heard the JB chants towards McBurnie I said to my mates, he'll probably score now.

I did think the chant of "Cry in a minute" was good though.