+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock not getting the credit he deserves ?

Warnock not getting the credit he deserves ?

I hardly see any praise for him in the national media. Yet he's got this team of mainly misfits into 2nd place after 35 games. The team who were 23rd when he took over.

Ahead of big spenders Boro, Derby, Villa, Fulham etc...

He has performed a minor miracle here.

I just hope we can hold on and then there's no way he can be denied the praise he deserves

Re: Warnock not getting the credit he deserves ?

Not to mention the crippling injury list we've had nearly all season

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I hardly see any praise for him in the national media. Yet he's got this team of mainly misfits into 2nd place after 35 games. The team who were 23rd when he took over.

I just hope we can hold on and then there's no way he can be denied the praise he deserves

I'd be more than happy not to see any positive media coverage until Monday 7th May.
    It could be like getting the Manager of the month award.

Agree with your sentiments by the way
    Last edited by MacAdder; 08-03-18 at 22:21. Reason: agree addendum

I’ve found Warnock is getting the credit he richly deserves. My favourite manager of my lifetime.

I listen to a few football podcasts; Football Ramble, Guardian, Totally Football Show, and to be fair most put this down to Warnock. Written press less so but that's all about the clicks these days rather than proper journalism.

He's been invited on to TalkSport a few times this season.

Personally, I'd rather Warnock and the Club stay largely anonymous for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    He's been invited on to TalkSport a few times this season.

Personally, I'd rather Warnock and the Club stay largely anonymous for the rest of the season.
    When he was out of work (as a manager) he was Alan Brazil’s co-host on a Friday morning on TalkSport. So they have a connection

I hardly see any praise for him in the national media.
    Almost every time the club is mentioned on Sky Sports (particularly on the Soccer Saturday and Soccer Special shows), the pundits bang on about what a great job Warnock is doing at Cardiff. Jeff Stelling makes a point of praising Warnock almost every weekend and has been doing so pretty much since he arrived at City.

I only ever see Cardiff games on Sky, but they are always praising Warnock. He gets good press locally too. What are you expecting? And can you link in articles that criticize Warnock?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Almost every time the club is mentioned on Sky Sports (particularly on the Soccer Saturday and Soccer Special shows), the pundits bang on about what a great job Warnock is doing at Cardiff. Jeff Stelling makes a point of praising Warnock almost every weekend and has been doing so pretty much since he arrived at City.
    Are you still taking in the odd game? I'm curious how you feel about the football we're playing now, given it's very similar to the style we played in many of the years you used to follow us. I'm wondering if the distance from the club changes the way you see what happens on the field now.

Good to see you posting a little more - nice to have the ascerbic put downs back. You used to irritate the hell out of me because you always had the facts to support your assertions and I could never argue against them as I didn't have the same fact arsenal to call on

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Don't watch Sky much these days as my wife has cut back out subscription.

But never see anything of any note written in the papers.

He's on the verge of something special.

Also deserving of a lot of credit are Alex Neill at Preston and Neil Harris at Millwall

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    I only ever see Cardiff games on Sky, but they are always praising Warnock. He gets good press locally too. What are you expecting? And can you link in articles that criticize Warnock?
    Where have I said he's criticised ?

FFS

Do you really think he's got the credit he deserves ?

Oh yes the media darlings are wolves of course, despite buying it like no one ever before, villa just a premier league club in waiting and the lovely Fulham in lovely west London, playing like Brazil and already nailed on for the playoffs. We are just in the way.
    In saying that, it’s obvious that most of our fans don’t think we are contenders anyway. We must be the most sceptical fans ever, with good reason mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    When he was out of work (as a manager) he was Alan Brazil’s co-host on a Friday morning on TalkSport. So they have a connection
    They obviously have a soft spot for our Neil, sometimes they blurt out what an amazing job he doing, usually when talking about wolves or villa, but in general they don’t mention us much. A good thing I hope, let’s just sneak up.

I think its the team thats not getting the credit it deserves.

Where have I said he's criticised ?

FFS

Do you really think he's got the credit he deserves ?
    It's so ambiguous. What type of credit isn't he getting that he should be getting?

He's just won manager of the month again.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    It's so ambiguous. What type of credit isn't he getting that he should be getting?

He's just won manager of the month again.
    It was put with a ? after it , so by very definition would be ambiguous.

I wanted to see what others on here thought .

Some do, some don't.

I think he hasn't- I would have liked to have seen an article or 2 looking at what he has done so far in a main paper.

WOL has been pretty good, but then they only have 3 clubs to report on.

Manager of the month is basically an award for the manager who had the best results that month, not really an endorsement by the media.

I'm not really bothered by Sky Sports news or the guys on 'The Championship' who hand out accolades like confetti.

Anyway, nothing achieved yet, so maybe I should hold my peace for a bit 😉

It was put with a ? after it , so by very definition would be ambiguous.

I wanted to see what others on here thought .

Some do, some don't.

I think he hasn't- I would have liked to have seen an article or 2 looking at what he has done so far in a main paper.

WOL has been pretty good, but then they only have 3 clubs to report on.

Manager of the month is basically an award for the manager who had the best results that month, not really an endorsement by the media.

I'm not really bothered by Sky Sports news or the guys on 'The Championship' who hand out accolades like confetti.

Anyway, nothing achieved yet, so maybe I should hold my peace for a bit ��
    The sad fact is, the main media only concern themselves with the top 6 clubs. Dyche is about the only manager outside of those to be getting any credit at all at the moment - and I wonder how much of that is down to him being English?

I don't think Cardiff are being ignored by the media, people talk about less coverage on Channel 5, but the football isn't good (from the games I have seen) and even with a win, it must be hard to garner highlights beyond set plays, long punts forward, and gritty challenges.

If Cardiff go up, I think Warnock (a rare breed, a British manager in the PL) will get more coverage. Saying that, I don't think Mackay was getting any more/better coverage than Warnock currently is during the promotion push. Even in the promotion "party" at CCS, Ali told the fans in the ground "Here's the man who made it all possible..." and out came Vincent Tan. So, in terms of the club, I think Warnock is getting more credit from Tan than Mackay was - so there is a small step forwards there.

We have been overlooked for most of the season despite what the table says.

Most pundits (not all) have been waiting for us to fall away.

A few have consistently praised the job Warnock and the team have been doing (Prutton, Stelling...)

As the games are running down and the 4 point gap has remained to Villa, more commentators and pundits have acknowledged Cardiff. For the most part they make clear we are gate-crashing the party. Wolves, Villa and Fulham should be the story with Derby performing their annual collapse and Boro leaving it late to secure a play-off slot. There is a lot of damning with faint praise and more grudging respect - but the line seems to be exceptional team spirit, great management and ugly football.

There is very little recognition of the quality we have with Hoilett, Zohore and others. Although, to be fair, we are only just starting to show that quality again after a recovery through January and February where a lot of the games were based on 'grinding out the result'.

If we are still clear in 2nd by the International break there will be a change in attitudes - and Warnock really will be the Messiah!

We get a lot of back-handed compliments from the English press if we're mentioned, and of course there was the Leroy Sane fiasco

We aren't a well-liked club, never have been, never will be

No one likes us
    We don’t care

The siege mentality is a good thing to have, I think it may help wolves over their current slump.

As it happens there's a 2 page article on NW in The Mirror today.

And we thought it was only a select few that read the board 😂

As it happens there's a 2 page article on NW in The Mirror today.

And we thought it was only a select few that read the board 😂
    Link?