+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Motson's last live commentary tomorrow

Re: John Motson's last live commentary tomorrow

It'd be kinder to have him put down. Hearing him ramble on in his recent MotD commentaries is tragic, though pure nostalgia will bring me fondish memories of him.

ITV commentators annoy the shit out of me, Brian Moore was the best for me, and some of the Sky commentators are good (maybe not Tyler) and I have a guilty pleasure for Alan Green. He's a bastard and just says it like it is, and he's responsible for one of my favourite lines of commentary ever during WC 2006 when a player was rolling around on the floor and the stretcher party came on: "Here come the palbearers!".

I like him. Reminds me of many great games growing up.

How odd. I like him as well and have found him to be a football institution right thru my life.

Football commentary is incredibly difficult. Have a go at it sometime at home. On your own. Nigh on impossible to do without repeating yourself and making yourself sound unbelievably stupid.

Then criticise

First Team

He is part and parcel of my footballing childhood. Therefore I have found memories of him but there is an element of Wenger in that his best days are gone. The style of commentary has changed over the decades but if pushed I would prefer his style to the shouty Jonathan Pearce method that seems more prevalent these days.

Martin Tyker is one I like as well.
    That ‘Ageeeeeeeeuuuurrrrrrrooooo’ moment is legendary 😃😃😃

Good riddance to the gibbering idiot. When is he quitting the tv commentary ?. I remember a World Cup when he was commentating on a Turkey game and suddenly decided to start using the players alternate family names, so no one knew who he was talking about, presumably to show how clever he was. A well known defender called Bulent (who had Bulent on his shirt) suddenly became Metrizoglu or something similar. I turned off in disgust and have been waiting patiently for him to pack it in ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Spearsy View Post
    I can’t stand Lawro or Andy Townsend.... absolute garbage
    Me neither - miserable sod.

Saying that mind, so would I be if someone shit in my kitbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    My three bottom commentators

Clive Tyldesley
    John Motson
    Alan Green

Motson is a "legend" because he is easily parodied. I've heard he's quite full of himself too.
    Mine are:
    Alan Green
    Alan Green
    Alan Green

Motson has always been over rated in my opinion and I won't be sad to see him go - he was something of a boring statto in his first existence, but then made a seemingly calculated change to a more excitable fan type commentator in his second which came about around the time the Premier League statto - either way, he was crap as far as I was concerned.