+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jordan Mutch

Re: Jordan Mutch

It's natural to follow your home town team wherever you are so I went along to see Minnesota a few times last season; the club is just a few seasons old but it's plain to see they're trying to play the game properly.

Their two games this time around (both away at this time of year until the weather warms up) have produced a loss and a win, yesterday against a decent Orlando side so the few additions they've acquired appear to be helping things along. Again I was impressed with the quality of play from both sides so unless you've seen plenty of MLS, I wouldn't knock it.

And most importantly, the fans everywhere are genuinely up for it admittedly from a lot of latinos and other minorities (who don't tend to go to traditional US sports.

And finally, I think NBC's coverage of Premier League and other channels following rival leagues is helping develop interest a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by tdob (in Toronto) View Post
    This is so wrong. Look at teams like Atlanta United, LAFC, the types of players being brought in. Teams are also paying big transfer fees for young talent that they're beating European clubs to. There has been a huge shift in the last 5 years where the average age of players being brought to the league (specifically the high profile ones) are 26 or younger.
    Atlanta had a plan to play the South America style, fair play to them. Of course they signed that perfect fit, Kenwyne...

What young talent have they beaten European teams for? I'd doubt very much it's anywhere near to high quality talent.

Again, games I've seen have been riddled with defensive naivety that would get slaughtered at league one level here.

As a season ticket holder since day 1 last year was a dream! Also, the quality and growth of the league from 2007 (when TFC entered) to now is just astronomical. Atlanta just drew 72,000 to their season opener.

We also just beat Tigres at home 2-1 in the Champions League (fantastic atmpsphere), second leg is tomorrow night in Mexico. Tigres are the arguably the biggest team in the region, their salary is nearing 100 million USD whereas some MLS sides spend less than 4. So to be able to compete with the Mexican sides shows how far the top teams are coming along.. of course, being able to get a result in Mexico has always proven to be difficult but we'll see how TFC fare.

I am in dreamland as a football supporter at the moment, especially as I am coming back home to catch us vs Wolves and away to Villa!
    They have built something great at BMO field - good work on the stadium and close enough to downtown to be a great day and night out. Michael Bradley should be playing in the Premier League for a top 8 team

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    A couple of seasons ago the Chinese league seemed to be on a short cut to being one of the big leagues.
    However they have slowed down markedly. New league rules have put limits on the number of foreigners that can play and the money being splashed about seems to have dropped accordingly.
    That said I don't doubt that they will continue to grow, just perhaps in a way that also develops Chinese born players.
    The whole point was to develop the game domestically, that's why they chased experienced coaches / managers. Those teach, pass on what they know and it benefits the game massively.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    They have built something great at BMO field - good work on the stadium and close enough to downtown to be a great day and night out. Michael Bradley should be playing in the Premier League for a top 8 team
    I'm not convinced
    Which top 8 premier league team do you think he'd get into?
    Wasn't exactly blowing seria a away and he left there 3 or 4 years ago.
    He's on about 100k a week where he is though, which is certainly PL money.

I'm not convinced
    Bradley's changes of a Prem job died when the Jacks fired his dad.

I'm not convinced
    You’re right. Should have said top 7

As it stands today that’s Burnley or any of the teams below them

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Atlanta had a plan to play the South America style, fair play to them. Of course they signed that perfect fit, Kenwyne...

What young talent have they beaten European teams for? I'd doubt very much it's anywhere near to high quality talent.

Again, games I've seen have been riddled with defensive naivety that would get slaughtered at league one level here.
    Kenwyne started about 5 matches for them, wasn't key to their team at all. But there are always going to be signings in any league like that.

Atlanta signed 19 year old Barco this season for $15 million, and Almiron last season (who will eventually go to Europe
    I am sure). Both players are said to have turned down offers from Europe and Mexico, the manager of Atlanta is someone players want to play for though. I don't want to keep pumping Atlantas tires though as their supporters have already become the most annoying.

Diego Rossi is another 19 year old who signed for LAFC, most articles linked him with other teams / offers but LAFC put up the money and can obviously offer an attractive workplace.

Jesus Medina is only 20 and signed with New York. Interest from him all over, although as NYCFC is owned by Man City there might be some type of deal there.

Kaku, Paredes, Colman, etc there are so many players under the age of 22 or 23 coming over from South America and these are only the ones in the last few months. Nobody is oblivious enough to think a player would turn away a top 25 European club to stay in MLS but the league is quickly becoming a hot bed of talent from Latin America. You also get players like a Giovinco who could easily play for a club in the Champions League but likes his life in Toronto on a salary that likely won't be beat. That's the thing with MLS, it offers players the chance to increase their quality of living in many cases, not be under the microscope 24/7 and play a fairly high level of football.

Anyway, i'll put down my MLS pom poms now, just sometimes gets frustrating when people who maybe watch a handful of matches a season make sweeping judgments of an entire league. Don't get me wrong there are terrible matches in MLS, but i've also watched every Cardiff match this season and some of them have been pretty dire themselves (i'll take about 10 more of them if we get the 3 points though).

[QUOTE=tdob (in Toronto);4853423]Kenwyne started about 5 matches for them, wasn't key to their team at all. But there are always going to be signings in any league like that.

I saw one of Kenwyne Jones' games for Atlanta, in Toronto when they played eachother last April. Finished 2-2. It wasn't a bad game to be fair, and the standard seemed decent enough. It seemed generally better than the last game I watched in 2012, LA Galaxy vs Real Salt Lake. That game had Beckham and Keane both playing for LA too. Last year, I seem to remember Giovinco standing out for Toronto. Jozy Altidore I can never quite make my mind up on though... I enjoyed the experience though, nice ground and friendly locals.

Kenwyne started about 5 matches for them, wasn't key to their team at all. But there are always going to be signings in any league like that.

Atlanta signed 19 year old Barco this season for $15 million, and Almiron last season (who will eventually go to Europe
    I am sure). Both players are said to have turned down offers from Europe and Mexico, the manager of Atlanta is someone players want to play for though. I don't want to keep pumping Atlantas tires though as their supporters have already become the most annoying.

Diego Rossi is another 19 year old who signed for LAFC, most articles linked him with other teams / offers but LAFC put up the money and can obviously offer an attractive workplace.

Jesus Medina is only 20 and signed with New York. Interest from him all over, although as NYCFC is owned by Man City there might be some type of deal there.

Kaku, Paredes, Colman, etc there are so many players under the age of 22 or 23 coming over from South America and these are only the ones in the last few months. Nobody is oblivious enough to think a player would turn away a top 25 European club to stay in MLS but the league is quickly becoming a hot bed of talent from Latin America. You also get players like a Giovinco who could easily play for a club in the Champions League but likes his life in Toronto on a salary that likely won't be beat. That's the thing with MLS, it offers players the chance to increase their quality of living in many cases, not be under the microscope 24/7 and play a fairly high level of football.

Anyway, i'll put down my MLS pom poms now, just sometimes gets frustrating when people who maybe watch a handful of matches a season make sweeping judgments of an entire league. Don't get me wrong there are terrible matches in MLS, but i've also watched every Cardiff match this season and some of them have been pretty dire themselves (i'll take about 10 more of them if we get the 3 points though).
    I watch as many as I can though obviously the time difference makes the "late" games difficult to watch. Our matches may have been "dire" but against a higher standard.

I'd like MLS to be successful but there's a long long way to go. I like Orlando's fanbase, I don't like NY City FC or whatever it is, especially the way they a) tried to manufacture a rivalry with Red Bulls and b) play on a pitch that is technically illegal due to being below minimum width. Then again with some of their older players in recent years, that made sense.

I watch games and you can see how Bradley Wright-Phillips suddenly became a goalscoring machine over there. Defensively, it's pretty naive, a long way behind even League One standard at times. Some nice football it has to be said but the overwhelming impression I tend to get of the bulk of certainly US players is that they tend to come acros as athletes trying to play football as opposed to "native" footballers if that makes sense.