+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Paterson...

Paterson...

What an acquisition this boy is turning out to be.

I don't think anyone knew what we'd be getting when he arrived, all that was known was he was recovering from a bad knee-injury, he was a'prospect' with a few Scottish caps as a full-back and that Hearts fans loved him. I recall someone posting comments from the fans there who actually seemed pleased that he was moving on to try his luck south of the border and wished him well.

It didn't seem to take Warnock long to decide he was 'flakey' as a defender who liked to attack or maybe we weren't short in that department and needs dictated he was wanted in midfield. His all-action displays there, totally combative, a tireless runner - and with goals as an added bonus - have made him a firm favourite and just the kind of player you want in midfield for the kind of run-in the Bluebirds are faced with right now.

TOBW did a nice piece earlier today about a 'dream' midfield that included Ralls, Gunnarsson and Paterson and eulogised over how their respective strengths complemented each other. Well, who knows where Gunnar will be next season but the thought of having Ralls and Paterson at 24 and 23 respectively in the engine room for the next few years - whichever division we're in - should warm the cockles of your heart.

Re: Paterson...

What a signing! Will do a job anywhere on the field (So much so that Wikipedia have his playing position as "Utility Player")

All the makings of a cult hero!

I always had high hopes for him. I'm not surprised at his goals either, as I was aware he scored 35 odd from mainly RB at hearts. Great signing.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    What a signing! Will do a job anywhere on the field (So much so that Wikipedia have his playing position as "Utility Player")

All the makings of a cult hero!
    You're right, he has. Strikes me he has no nerves, doesn't give a shit about anything and just goes out and plays.

Someone in another post said he reminds them of Kevin Nolan and I think that's about right, what an asset.

Hellva of a signing, Warnock gambled where others hesitated .

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    You're right, he has. Strikes me he has no nerves, doesn't give a shit about anything and just goes out and plays.

Someone in another post said he reminds them of Kevin Nolan and I think that's about right, what an asset.
    Tuesday against Barnsley he gave the ball away cheaply in midfield.. next thing you know he's on their keeper who's dealing with a pass back.. that effort just epitomizes his performances for us.

"He's not a midfielfer" he's no pirlo or iniesta bet he's got the makings of a nuisance high energy midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Tuesday against Barnsley he gave the ball away cheaply in midfield.. next thing you know he's on their keeper who's dealing with a pass back.. that effort just epitomizes his performances for us.

"He's not a midfielfer" he's no pirlo or iniesta bet he's got the makings of a nuisance high energy midfielder.
    The unusual thing about him is that 'utility' players tend to be mediocre in a range of positions but master of none, however he learns very very quickly in any given position and does extremely well. I think they will run out of digits for his position on Football Manager 2018/19.

FB WB WF WM MF MC DM AM or whatever they use these days. Maybe they will invent a new one for him 'U'!

Fantastic signing! He clearly is well liked by the team and is putting everything into Cardiff nothing mercenery about him.

He strangely reminds me of Kevin Nolan, ex Bolton and Newcastle burly midfielder, arriving late into the box to bang one in.

Always been a big fan of big Kev

I met him before the Middlesbrough game, as my son was featured in the back of the programme and the club asked him to nominate his favourite player. As Tomlin isn't here (like father, like son!) his second favourite is Paterson. He was great with my son, who although is 12 can be quite shy. They had a good chat and he was really down-to-earth. He also posed for photos, etc. He seems like a top man.

He has just been called up to the Scotland squad for forthcoming internationals.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    He has just been called up to the Scotland squad for forthcoming internationals.
    I see he's listed as a defender in the squad - he's probably been picked as a centreback .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see he's listed as a defender in the squad - he's probably been picked as a centreback .
    You take the mick Bob but the way he plays I don’t think he’d do a bad job there either

He does seem to have all of the attributes to make a good right back, I know he looked shaky there when he was first back from a long spell on the sidelines, and has been doing an excellent job filling in in our midfield since then, but I wonder if in the long term he might revert to RB

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    You take the mick Bob but the way he plays I don’t think he’d do a bad job there either
    Actually, when he signed for us I read in a few places that he will end up as a centre half and yet Phil Smith, the Sunderland fan who used to work for Wales Online, has said that he had been told by some people in the game that Paterson's best position is centre forward.

He can play goalkeeper for all I care Bob! As long as all those on duty come back healthy that's all that matters.

Actually, when he signed for us I read in a few places that he will end up as a centre half and yet Phil Smith, the Sunderland fan who used to work for Wales Online, has said that he had been told by some people in the game that Paterson's best position is centre forward.
    Yes I read something about him ending up as a centre forward.
    No comparison intended but John Charles was equal good at cb and Cf. Not sure if he ever played in mf but be was a very good passers of the ball.
    Sometimes it can be a disadvantage being good in several positions but at the moment it looks as if Paterson is taking it all in his stride.
    Fingers crossed he stays fit.

His celebrations are.. "interesting" as well!

Paterson will quickly become our talisman the way it's going.

Brilliant signing.

Warnock on Paterson today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43379144

Neil Warnock says Scotland's Callum Paterson has "not looked back" since breaking into the Cardiff City team.

Paterson, picked in the latest national squad, sustained a serious knee injury in 2017 and joined Cardiff in June, debuting there in October.

Warnock said: "From a manager's point of view, I always look at my lads and say, 'would you want him in the trenches with you?'

"And I'd want him in the trenches with me any day."

The 23-year-old was an unused substitute in November's 1-0 friendly defeat by Netherlands in Aberdeen.

He last featured for his country in the 2016 loss to England at Wembley and in recent times has scored seven times in 25 appearances for Cardiff, who are second in the Championship.

"I'm delighted for him," Warnock, 69, told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound.

"He's obviously a mad Scotsman and desperate to play for his country. He's had a really horrific last 12, 18 months with injury. He had a really bad injury at Hearts. We had a gamble with him. I always quite liked him up there.

"It was a good time for him to join us and he's done ever so well. He took until October to get fit but he's not looked back, really.

"He is a bit of a character. Fabulous lad. He's already picked up certain things with us and he'll continue to learn."

With Hearts and Scotland, Paterson played right-back but has been in midfield with the Bluebirds.

"I've converted him at the moment - he's actually playing centre midfield for me at the minute," said Warnock.

"I've just given him a bit of freedom in there. He just wants to play. Because he's been out so long, he's just so enthusiastic. He's been very good in the air. He's got a good eye for goal. Even at Hearts, he used to score a lot of goals from full-back.

"I also think he's quite capable of playing right-side centre-half. He's got a good turn of pace and very good in the air. With the right partner, he could play in there. He has got all the attributes.

"I'm not sure as a full-back, he's better off as a wing-back."

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    What an acquisition this boy is turning out to be.

I don't think anyone knew what we'd be getting when he arrived, all that was known was he was recovering from a bad knee-injury, he was a'prospect' with a few Scottish caps as a full-back and that Hearts fans loved him. I recall someone posting comments from the fans there who actually seemed pleased that he was moving on to try his luck south of the border and wished him well.

It didn't seem to take Warnock long to decide he was 'flakey' as a defender who liked to attack or maybe we weren't short in that department and needs dictated he was wanted in midfield. His all-action displays there, totally combative, a tireless runner - and with goals as an added bonus - have made him a firm favourite and just the kind of player you want in midfield for the kind of run-in the Bluebirds are faced with right now.

TOBW did a nice piece earlier today about a 'dream' midfield that included Ralls, Gunnarsson and Paterson and eulogised over how their respective strengths complemented each other. Well, who knows where Gunnar will be next season but the thought of having Ralls and Paterson at 24 and 23 respectively in the engine room for the next few years - whichever division we're in - should warm the cockles of your heart.
    Very good post. Echoes my feelings about Peterson. A contender for player of the season.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    The unusual thing about him is that 'utility' players tend to be mediocre in a range of positions but master of none, however he learns very very quickly in any given position and does extremely well. I think they will run out of digits for his position on Football Manager 2018/19.

FB WB WF WM MF MC DM AM or whatever they use these days. Maybe they will invent a new one for him 'U'!
    Good point about being good in more than one position. His energy is unreal isn't it as well!!