+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cheltenaham Festival 2018.

Cheltenaham Festival 2018.

Its that time of year again. Week off tickets booked for Wednesday. Boozer rest of the week.

Any tips , anyone else going.?

Only done one ante-post bet - E/W Summerville Boy 25-1 for the Supreme Novices tomorrow. Now best priced 10s.

Re: Cheltenaham Festival 2018.

Sam Twiston Davis to ride most winners

I'll be skint again by thursday again.

Would love to be there this week as a lifelong racing fan. Have been half a dozen times over the years but living abroad (for the time being) means I don't follow it at all.

Have you been to Lambourn open day on a Good Friday? All the stables are involved and they have a 'festival' up on the downs in the afternoon. You'd need to be there for 8.00am prompt, though as the stables close their doors at noon. Get some advance info, start at Nicky Henderson's yard and also take in Barry Hills (flat) stables to see the 150 or so flat racers, mostly 2 and 3 year-olds looking spectacular. Wonderful day, the memory of which definitely reminds me what I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Sam Twiston Davis to ride most winners
    Any particular rides you like Bob?

1.30 - Getabird - £10 Win
    2.10 Footpad - £10 Win
    2.50 - Vicente - £5 E/W
    3.30 - My tent or yours £5 E/W
    4.10 - Benie Des Dieux £5 E/W
    4.50 - Jury Duty £20 (Nap}
    5.30 - Jameson £5 E/W

You get £10 to bet on each race either a £5 E/W or a £10 Win, except for one race where you can choose your day's best bet (Nap) and bet either £10 Each Way on it or a straight £20 win.

1.30 Summerville Boy - £5 E/W
    2.10 Footpad - £10 win
    2.50 Vintage Clouds - £5 E/W
    3.30 Wicklow Brave - £5 E/W
    4.10 Le Bague au Roi £5 E/W
    4.50 Mossback - £10 win
    5.30 Testify - £20 win (nap)

Anyone else in? Total up our own losses or profits after every days racing.

26 years ago was the last time I bet on a nag. For years prior I bet horses almost daily. I backed one called Absolutely Humming at SP. It opened at 1-2 fave, it then drifted to 8-15, 4-7, 8-13, 4-6, 8-11, 4-5, 10-11 and even money second fave at the off. It led throughout and jumped the last 15 lengths clear of the horse backed to 10-11 fave. My horse's jockey suddenly stopped riding, he instead chose to keep looking over alternate shoulders as his charge slowed almost to a standstill. When tha fave was almost level 100 yards from the finish, the jockey pretended to rouse his horse by riding it like an all action dervish but it was too late as it had lost all momentum.

It was the most blatant 'pulling' I'd ever seen, and I thought there'd be a stewards inquiry and a furore in the press next day. Neither occurred. I swore then never to invest so much as a penny on that sport ever again. Any betting event where everything rests on the integrity of one individual (golf, snooker, tennis, etc) I also swerve 'cause it really is a mug's game.

1.30 Paloma Blue 5 e/w

2-10 Footpad 20 win (nap)

2.50 Gold Present 5 e/w

3.30 Buveur Dair 10 win

4.10 Benie Des Dieux 10 win

4.50 No Comment 5 e/w

5.30 Barney Dwan 5 E/w

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    26 years ago was the last time I bet on a nag. For years prior I bet horses almost daily. I backed one called Absolutely Humming at SP. It opened at 1-2 fave, it then drifted to 8-15, 4-7, 8-13, 4-6, 8-11, 4-5, 10-11 and even money second fave at the off. It led throughout and jumped the last 15 lengths clear of the horse backed to 10-11 fave. My horse's jockey suddenly stopped riding, he instead chose to keep looking over alternate shoulders as his charge slowed almost to a standstill. When tha fave was almost level 100 yards from the finish, the jockey pretended to rouse his horse by riding it like an all action dervish but it was too late as it had lost all momentum.

It was the most blatant 'pulling' I'd ever seen, and I thought there'd be a stewards inquiry and a furore in the press next day. Neither occurred. I swore then never to invest so much as a penny on that sport ever again. Any betting event where everything rests on the integrity of one individual (golf, snooker, tennis, etc) I also swerve 'cause it really is a mug's game.
    I once bet on a horse called Katiypour - I swear I heard the bookies laughing at me

Katiypour. The Darling of all horses

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    1.30 Summerville Boy - £5 E/W
    2.10 Footpad - £10 win
    2.50 Vintage Clouds - £5 E/W
    3.30 Wicklow Brave - £5 E/W
    4.10 Le Bague au Roi £5 E/W
    4.50 Mossback - £10 win
    5.30 Testify - £20 win (nap)

Somebody's off to a flyer

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Somebody's off to a flyer
    I'm up £80.00 so far

I owe you a pint mate

Skybet doing £20 free bet (money back as a bet if it loses) on the first race each day, so put it on Summerville Boy.

+28