+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: iphone maps

iphone maps

right....got an Iphone 4 which I am going to reactivate as it has not been used for a while

It will just be a phone for the car (old car) as there is a system in the car for it. I really just want it for maps/sat nav etc. although taking/making calls hands free will be available.....

Question.....if I get a pay as you go sim ....will this be enough to activate and use the maps function ?

any advise gratefully received

Re: iphone maps

Depends on how much data allowance you'll have on the sim; use the maps as a Sat Nav between Canton and Ely every day you should be alright with about 2GB per month. Use it to travel to Yorkshire once a week and you'd need up to 20GB per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicerino View Post
    right....got an Iphone 4 which I am going to reactivate as it has not been used for a while

It will just be a phone for the car (old car) as there is a system in the car for it. I really just want it for maps/sat nav etc. although taking/making calls hands free will be available.....

Question.....if I get a pay as you go sim ....will this be enough to activate and use the maps function ?

any advise gratefully received
    Maps rely on GPS not mobile data.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Maps rely on GPS not mobile data.
    Routefinding and traffic use data.

I assume you can download the map for offline use on iPhone (I can on googlemaps on Android) and you can use the routefinder then.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Routefinding and traffic use data.

I assume you can download the map for offline use on iPhone (I can on googlemaps on Android) and you can use the routefinder then.
    I’ve always turned mobile data off when using Apple maps on iPhone and never had a problem

Maps, Waze etc. use a significant amount of data. They're constantly updating.

If you just wanted to use GPS to see where you are it would be fine, but it's not going to update and give you directions etc without using data.

Your iPhone 4 will be slow as feck by now.

NavMii

you DL the maps with wifi and doesnt use any data

its free and it works well, updates via wifi