+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A theory about other Managers' views on us

A theory about other Managers' views on us

I was disappointed to yet again hear another manager who I previously respected, blame their defeat in his post match interview on things such as 'but that's the kind of side they are" / "thought the ref could've protected us a bit more" / "they're a big, physical side" etc etc

My theory is that the majority of the time, this gives said managers some leeway for a bad result, as their Bosses (club owners) are rarely footballers / football men themselves (can only think of Dave Whelan at Wigan and Niall Quinn at Sunderland?). As such, it's the ONLY reason that might possibly be understood by their bosses come that awkward next morning meeting.

i.e. it wasn't our fault, they fouled us out of 3 points, weak ref etc

The more managers that say it, the more it becomes 'true' and the more Chairmen allow their managers some space over a defeat to us!

Might be far fetched, but it might not be far away from the truth seeing as it's used so often as an excuse.

Do you ever hear it in egg chasing, American Football or ice hockey for example? They are all physical contact sports after all.

Re: A theory about other Managers' views on us

long may it continue not sure if they are already beaten before they even get on the pitch ? ? ?

It's the Warnock effect and long may it continue "but it was a Neil Warnock team and they bullied us and didn't let us pass it around them and let us walk the ball into the net" funny how there was no mention that their keeper should've been sent off and we had a penalty and another thing is WTF is Goodman's problem with us?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    long may it continue not sure if they are already beaten before they even get on the pitch ? ? ?
    I think this has been true several times this season.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    It's the Warnock effect and long may it continue "but it was a Neil Warnock team and they bullied us and didn't let us pass it around them and let us walk the ball into the net" funny how there was no mention that their keeper should've been sent off and we had a penalty and another thing is WTF is Goodman's problem with us?
    Their goal had a hint of offside about it too

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Didn’t one of their players also handle the ball when he was on the ground In The 6 yard box

The more they moan about referees, hoofing, bullying the better

We’re not playing netball. Brentford’s players were equally as aggressive as ours. The difference was that they were crap at it and invariably came off second best. I thought the ref generally did well, letting a proper Championship game flow as much as he could.

I’d like to see half of these managers & supporters admit that their players are almost always weaker than ours in the challenge.

I noticed a few shoulder-to-shoulder contests last night and every time a Brentford player came off second best, and sometimes bouncing away!!

Rather than Bees supporters asking why their players are so lightweight, they were constantly screaming for a foul/free kick.

Since when did the Championship become so soft touch?

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    I was disappointed to yet again hear another manager who I previously respected, blame their defeat in his post match interview on things such as 'but that's the kind of side they are" / "thought the ref could've protected us a bit more" / "they're a big, physical side" etc etc

My theory is that the majority of the time, this gives said managers some leeway for a bad result, as their Bosses (club owners) are rarely footballers / football men themselves (can only think of Dave Whelan at Wigan and Niall Quinn at Sunderland?). As such, it's the ONLY reason that might possibly be understood by their bosses come that awkward next morning meeting.

i.e. it wasn't our fault, they fouled us out of 3 points, weak ref etc

The more managers that say it, the more it becomes 'true' and the more Chairmen allow their managers some space over a defeat to us!

Might be far fetched, but it might not be far away from the truth seeing as it's used so often as an excuse.

Do you ever hear it in egg chasing, American Football or ice hockey for example? They are all physical contact sports after all.

Good post.

WRT the rugby reference, everyone is taught from an early age that the referee is "god" and that any criticism of him is a "sin".

For some reason, that message doesn't apply in football on or off the pitch.

This seems to have increasingly crept into the manager's vocabulary on other (certain) managers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsarnie View Post
    I’d like to see half of these managers & supporters admit that their players are almost always weaker than ours in the challenge.

I noticed a few shoulder-to-shoulder contests last night and every time a Brentford player came off second best, and sometimes bouncing away!!

Rather than Bees supporters asking why their players are so lightweight, they were constantly screaming for a foul/free kick.

Since when did the Championship become so soft touch?
    Managers are always protecting the players, trying to keep a good morale in the group. You won't keep that going if you are calling your players soft and saying they were simply worse players out on the pitch.

You are publicly always trying to deflect things (Warnock does this with referees decisions). Lats night Brentford had the possession played the way the manager wanted them to, but Cardiff were more clinical. It would no the manager no favors in his group if he criticized the players publicly last night.

You might talk about the problems in training personally to the players, but never publicly

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I've always found Don Goodman a very level headed co-commentator and one that has been complementary of Cardiff in the past.
    Yesterday though he seemed quite pointed in his comments, the pelanty "hand ball" being one.

In the half time analysis, usually you get a debate from the pundits where two sides of the "offence" are proposed but none of that happened yesterday.
    You need leverage to get up and head a ball and IMO there was enough there to suggest Gruyić mis-timing the header to warrant at least a difference of opinion from them, even if it was playing devils advocate.
    It's like Sky have an agenda and Gabbidon seemed to toe the line for Sky too.

My theory is that we shouldn't be where we are, it goes against all their experts' predictions and they don't like it.

It's "us" against "them" again, the way we like it

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I've always found Don Goodman a very level headed co-commentator and one that has been complementary of Cardiff in the past.
    Yesterday though he seemed quite pointed in his comments, the pelanty "hand ball" being one.

In the half time analysis, usually you get a debate from the pundits where two sides of the "offence" are proposed but none of that happened yesterday.
    You need leverage to get up and head a ball and IMO there was enough there to suggest Gruyić mis-timing the header to warrant at least a difference of opinion from them, even if it was playing devils advocate.
    It's like Sky have an agenda and Gabbidon seemed to toe the line for Sky too.

My theory is that we shouldn't be where we are, it goes against all their experts' predictions and they don't like it.

It's "us" against "them" again, the way we like it
    No I think that's bollocks. It was a handball, there is no conspiracy against us.

We are a physical direct side, there's no point in trying to pretend otherwise. We have big, strong and fast players, and we often beat teams with better footballers than us through strength and athleticism.
    Of course opposition managers are going to moan that it would be different if the ref hadn't allowed any contact, but that's the game.

Of we go up, one of the many challenges we will face will be the premier league is refereed more strictly than the championship. I've heard it mooted that it is the main difference between the leagues. As a result, more premier league players throw themselves to the ground. But hopefully that is a problem for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    No I think that's bollocks. It was a handball, there is no conspiracy against us.
    I think it was hand ball too FWIW but we see many like it go unpunished for referees not to give them.
    The general feeling listening to the comments makes me draw this conclusion and this was not an isolated case.

The ref I thought handled the game pretty well I thought btw and let more go than others we have had and I aree with your other post we will need to be more savvy if we do go up as there is a lot more "protection of investments" by refs in the PL

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I think it was hand ball too FWIW but we see many like it go unpunished for referees not to give them.
    The general feeling listening to the comments makes me draw this conclusion and this was not an isolated case.

The ref I thought handled the game pretty well I thought btw and let more go than others we have had and I aree with your other post we will need to be more savvy if we do go up as there is a lot more "protection of investments" by refs in the PL
    There was a blatant handball by a Brentford defender just seconds before it, in the box as he was on the floor.
    Their fans were mimicking our handball claims almost as they broke and had their own claim. Was quite funny at the time

Also.. and I'm not one, many claim that Bentley's challenge on Zohore should have been a penalty too.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

The ref was getting stick from both sets of fans, but it must have been a tough game to referee as it was end to end.

Brentford passed and moved with pace. I'm sure it feels great when it works out.

We win by dictating the way the game is played. I think I prefer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I find commentators inconsistent. How often do they bleat on about 'it wasnt intentional', they didnt say it once there even though mg clearly didn't intentionally handball it.